[news.groups] comp.binaries.cbm: express your thoughts !

hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) (05/15/88)

A little while back I posted a message to comp.sys.cbm asking why
there was no comp.binaries.cbm. A few people replied and said they
would be interested in seeing a comp.binaries.cbm. Now is your chance
for the rest of you to express your support/dislike etc. I personally
would greatly enjoy a comp.binaries.cbm for the purpose of posting C64
and C128 software. Any other takers ??!!

|    Harris L. Gilliam         () Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu         |
|4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139 () UUCP {backbone..}!mit-eddie!athena!hackeron|
*   When you make your mark in the world, watch out for guys with erasers    *

dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty) (05/15/88)

In article <5355@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) writes:
> A little while back I posted a message to comp.sys.cbm asking why
> there was no comp.binaries.cbm. A few people replied and said they
> would be interested in seeing a comp.binaries.cbm. Now is your chance
> for the rest of you to express your support/dislike etc.

Count me in too!  What should we do to make this happen?
--
                                            Dennis Flaherty
dennisf%marque@csd1.milw.wisc.edu           Marquette University

mat@emcard.UUCP (Mat Waites) (05/17/88)

>Any other takers ??!!

I'm definitely a taker.  I'm all for a comp.binaries AND a comp.source.

Mat

--
  W Mat Waites                     |  PHONE:  (404) 727-7197
  Emory Univ Cardiac Data Bank     |  UUCP:   ...!gatech!emcard!mat

haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (05/18/88)

In article <5491@emcard.UUCP>, mat@emcard.UUCP (Mat Waites) writes:
> >Any other takers ??!!
>
> I'm definitely a taker.  I'm all for a comp.binaries AND a comp.source.
> --
> Mat

NO!  C64 binaries are being sold in stores all around dallas for $'s
and the transmission costs for binaries of any size are $,$$$'s.  this
is getting to be more ridiculous than webber's eniac proposal.

the net is undergoing expontential growth.  let's not contribute to
that growth any further by adding binary groups for non-unix systems.
call me an elitist if you wish.  it's getting to be a matter of
survival.

- john.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh@rpp386.uucp :DOMAIN

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune

bowen@sunybcs.UUCP (Devon E Bowen) (05/20/88)

In article <125@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>NO!  C64 binaries are being sold in stores all around dallas for $'s
>and the transmission costs for binaries of any size are $,$$$'s.  this
>is getting to be more ridiculous than webber's eniac proposal.
>
>the net is undergoing expontential growth.  let's not contribute to
>that growth any further by adding binary groups for non-unix systems.
>call me an elitist if you wish.  it's getting to be a matter of
>survival.

I'm really not for binary newsgroups either. They cost far to much and
are far too limited in usefulness and I wouldn't be all that sad if all
the binary groups just disappeared. But, as long as we're going to have
them at all, I'll insist that we have one for cbm.

Most (all?) of the arguments against this proposal are arguments against
binary groups in general. I have not seen many with legitimate points
against this particular group. Until I see some, this group will get my
"yes" vote.

Devon Bowen			Packet:    KA2NRC@WA0PTV
University at Buffalo		BITNET:    bowen@sunybcs.BITNET
				Internet:  bowen@cs.Buffalo.EDU
UUCP: ...!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!bowen

dennisf@marque.mu.edu (Dennis Flaherty) (05/20/88)

In article <125@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> In article <5491@emcard.UUCP>, mat@emcard.UUCP (Mat Waites) writes:
> > >Any other takers ??!!
> >
> > I'm definitely a taker.  I'm all for a comp.binaries AND a comp.source.
> > --
> > Mat
>
> NO!  C64 binaries are being sold in stores all around dallas for $'s

Good for Dallas.  As for everywhere else, the only binaries we can get
locally are commercial packages.  It would be nice if I could get
binaries from the net archives, but NONE serve cbm.  NONE.

> and the transmission costs for binaries of any size are $,$$$'s.  this
> is getting to be more ridiculous than webber's eniac proposal.

1)  Apply the C64 size argument of the previous article.  The C64 (and
 the C128 for that matter) doesn't have much room to squeeze in a huge
 binary.
2)  As it has been shown, the traffic level for 8-bit cbm computers is
 relatively small.  If the concern is for overall storage and transmission
 costs, why is it that comp.binaries.cbm should be the one to be cut?

> the net is undergoing expontential growth.  let's not contribute to
> that growth any further by adding binary groups for non-unix systems.
> call me an elitist if you wish.  it's getting to be a matter of
> survival.

Is USENET dedicated to the promotion of UNIX alone?  Seeing how much
traffic exists in other newsgroups besides comp.unix.*, I doubt that.

I have a C128, and run both native and CPM mode regularly, thanks to
comp.os.cpm and comp.sys.cbm.  Usenet has helped a lot.