[news.groups] A formal proposal for comp.binaries.cbm and comp.sources.cbm

ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody) (05/16/88)

    This is a formal proposal for the creation of comp.sources.cbm and
comp.binaries.cbm.  I have read the paper recently posted to news.groups
entitled "How to Establish a New Newsgroup", and I am following its guidelines.

    I believe that there is a need for these newsgroups, especially the
binary newsgroup.  I have never seen a newsgroup or mailing list devoted
to Commodore binaries or sources.

    Commodore computers are more popular than many of the other machines for
which binary and source newsgroups already exist.

    Often, I receive requests to post a public domain program that I have
worked on to the net.  Although I would like to post it, I cannot because no
appropriate newsgroup exists.  Recent postings to comp.sys.cbm imply that I
am not the only person in this position.  Often, people post sources and
binaries to comp.sys.cbm, a newsgroup devoted to the discussion of Commodore
computers.  Some of these postings are met with flames.

    I cannot think of any potential objections to the creation of these
groups based on common sense, good taste, or possible legal difficulties.

    These newsgroups will be devoted to the exchange of sources and binaries
for all 8-bit Commodore computers, not just the Commodore-64.

    I think the proposed groups will have to be moderated to obtain approval
from the powers that be.  I volunteer to moderate.  I will gladly step
aside if someone at cbmvax wants to moderate.  (This is a hint, guys!)  I
think I am qualified to moderate because I have been a long-time Commodore
user.  I have access to a large amount of Commodore hardware.  Furthermore,
it is also likely that this site can archive these groups.  (No, I haven't
checked this out yet, but many other newsgroups are archived at my site.)  I
have also worked on large public domain Commodore programs.

    I encourage comments.  Please post them to news.groups.  After 2 weeks of
discussion (today is Monday, May 16th), there will 30 days of voting.  The
votes must be MAILED, (not posted) to me.  If I can get at least 100 more
"yes" votes than "no" votes, then I will post a followup article listing
the totals and also the account names of the people voting.  If I fail to
get 100 more "yes" votes than "no" votes, then I will talk to my local
news administrators and try to create alt.binaries.cbm and alt.sources.cbm or
a mailing list.  (Note that any alt newsgroup would be unmoderated.)

    Yes, comp.sys.cbm readers, I know that 100 is a lot.  But we cannot
succeed if we don't try.

                                        Ray Moody
                                         ray@j.cc.purdue.edu
                                         ihnp4!pur-ee!j.cc.purdue.edu!ray
                                         moody@purccvm.BITNET

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (05/20/88)

From article <546@mannix.iros1.UUCP>, by desmarai@ouareau.iro.umontreal.ca (Stephane Desmarais):
> I am completely in favor of creating some form of distributing mean
> for programs for any commodore computers except the Amiga which
> already has its own groups.  It may not be limited to 8-bit computers,
> even though for now it would be so (who knows what will happen in 2 years :-).
>
> The question I'm asking is, if the expected volume for this group is low,
> maybe creating a joint group for both sources and binaries would be
> better, instead of separated groups.
>
> A big adventage of having those groups would be archive sites.

Interesting idea. How does comp.binaries.eightbit sound. Great for all
8 bit machines (does that include 68008 & 8088 :-) :-), i.e. C64/C128,
CP/M, TRS Co-Co, Atari 400/800 etc. (nat. semic. sc/mp, cosmac 1802,
M6800, intel 8008 and others :-). And we keep it for EVERYTHING - source
binaries, data. I know it'll be a real mess, but why not go for broke,
and throw everything in (including the kitchen sink) first time out.
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!adelie!cfisun!lakart!dg	+-+-+ |
						  	  +---+