[news.groups] What about when a group is obviously needed

webber@constance.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (05/15/88)

In article <863@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, jesup@pawl15.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) writes:
> In article <May.4.21.19.23.1988.8726@constance.rutgers.edu> webber@constance.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
> >  In the past, I would have
> >advised you to take the vote, but now that it appears that votes don't
> >matter, I would say send the create group messages.
>
> Now I think (if it wasn't fairly obvious before) Webber's purpose for the
> comp...eniac proposal is made more obvious:  it gives him ammunition
> to try to undermine the backbone and the new group creation guidelines.

Absolutely not.  Although I knew that the backbone was generally a humorless
and incompetent lot, I had every reason to expect that a proper vote
on a group whose name was not offensive to people with Victorian moralities
would be sufficient to get the group created.  The fact that they have
chosen to substantially modify the guidelines (see latest newuser posting)
is sufficient evidence to me that they realize that the group satisfied the
previous guidelines [indeed, it satisfies the current guidelines as well,
the main significance of the new guidelines are the emphasis placed on
the fact that following the guidelines is meaningless].

I now find myself in the position where I can not recommend to anyone the
undertaking of the effort of collecting a vote because there is no reason
to believe that the backbone will give its result any form of good faith
consideration.  It is not a position I enjoy being in and it is not a position
that I sought, but it is my current position, to do otherwise would be
to ignore the facts of the last few months.

----  BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) (05/16/88)

This  reply is  directed at  new readers  of this  group; Bob  Webber is
explicitly exempt  from reading  it, since he's  heard this  hundreds of
times before, so I guess nothing will convince him.

In short,  the backbone  administrators do not  owe anything  to anybody
except their  paying customers, which  are usually not the  net readers.
They spend  their time and their  sites' resources for our  benefit; the
guideline they publish, like any  good-will agreement, are valid only as
long  as they  are not  abused. The  backbone administrators  have every
right to determine what constitutes an abuse, and act accordingly.

Any sites  who do not  like this policy,  are welcome to  exchange phone
numbers and uucp passwords, and set their own network.

Above all,  calling these  dedicated people 'incompetent',  does require
and apology, especially coming from  someone who had contributed nothing
but complaints to the net. (We  are still waiting for your keyword-based
news system to replace the newsgroup system!)
--
	Amos Shapir			(My other cpu is a NS32532)
National Semiconductor (Israel)

shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) (05/16/88)

In article <645@taux01.UUCP> amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
!  < Explination of backbone people...>
!  < And then about Bob Webber >
>(We  are still waiting for your keyword-based
>news system to replace the newsgroup system!)

And the public domain C compiler which will run on all machines so we
can get rid of the evil binary groups from Hell :-)

>--
>	Amos Shapir			(My other cpu is a NS32532)

Shane Looker
shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu
uunet!umix!pepe.cc.umich.edu!shane
Looker@um.cc.umich.edu

webber@aramis.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (05/18/88)

In article <514@mailrus.cc.umich.edu>, shane@pepe.cc.umich.edu (Shane Looker) writes:
> In article <645@taux01.UUCP> amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> !  < Explination of backbone people...>
> !  < And then about Bob Webber >
> >(We  are still waiting for your keyword-based
> >news system to replace the newsgroup system!)

I can't imagine what was meant by this (time warping has brought your
quote before the message you quote apparently).  The keyword-based system
is already in place.  As explained earlier, the keywords are the text of
the message.  The patterns that you choose to match on are a function
of your interests, various net idioms, and the computational resources
you can bring to bear on the task.  I run the searches as background
jobs -- am currently recasting the awk prototype into lex as the startup
of a large awk script per new news message was causing the runs to take
a bit longer than I liked.

If instead of the keyword-based system what was actually being
referred to was the ascii hypertext system, that is progressing nicely.
Look for it on alt.hypertext and/or alt.sources.

> And the public domain C compiler which will run on all machines so we
> can get rid of the evil binary groups from Hell :-)

When this was last brought up, nil interest was expressed by the net in
such a thing.  Since I have little personal usage for it, it sank
rather low on the list of things to do.  On the other hand, there are enough
fiddles to the layout of the CPL/BCPL/B/C/C++ family that would make a really
nice language, that you might yet see P (for Portable), whether you
want it or not.

Enjoy.

--- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

webber@constance.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (05/25/88)

In article <645@taux01.UUCP>, amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir) writes:
> In short,  the backbone  administrators do not  owe anything  to anybody
> except their  paying customers, which  are usually not the  net readers.
> They spend  their time and their  sites' resources for our  benefit; the
> guideline they publish, like any  good-will agreement, are valid only as
> long  as they  are not  abused. The  backbone administrators  have every
> right to determine what constitutes an abuse, and act accordingly.

Yes there is no question that the backbone have every right in a strict
legalistic sense to act in the backward way they do.  However, you must
realize that USENET predates the backbone and that their policies reflect
neither the original purposes of USENET nor current realities vis a vis
communication and computer technology.

> Any sites  who do not  like this policy,  are welcome to  exchange phone
> numbers and uucp passwords, and set their own network.

Such a net was created.  It was called USENET.  Then along came this
bunch of big sites who now call themselves ``backbones'' and you can
see what happened.  Sigh.

> Above all,  calling these  dedicated people 'incompetent',  does require

I guess it depends on what you view them as dedicated to as to whether they
are actually ``incompetent.''  Would you prefer me to call them ``evil''
under the assumption that they are actually dedicated to creating the mess
they have created or ``incompetent'' under the assumption that they
are did not intentionally create the current mess?

> and apology, especially coming from  someone who had contributed nothing
> but complaints to the net. (We  are still waiting for your keyword-based
> news system to replace the newsgroup system!)

I have certainly contributed things other than complaints to the net
-- however if you only read junk groups like news.* groups, you have
probably only seen the complaints.  Even the complaints a number of
people have found interesting, for various reasons at various times.

Vis a vis the keyword-based system, if your system has find, lex (or
flex), and more (or less), you probably have all the software you need
vis a vis reading keyword-based news.  Probably at some point an
online thesaurus would be useful.  I also highly recommend the Soundex
hashing scheme to defeat the problems that spelling errors cause to
keyword searching.  At some point a detailed investigation of
spelling-correction technology would be useful, but currently Soundex
appears sufficient.  Of course, what you actually look for is another
matter -- but this is something that requires individual
experimentation and adaption.

--- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

[The Soundex algorithm was posted to the net earlier by someone else --
it was apparently patented in 1918.  The algorithm begins with the
substitution of b,f,p,v -> 1, c,g,j,k,q,s,x,z -> 2, d,t -> 3, l -> 4,
m,n -> 5, r -> 6, and everything else to 0. this gives you an encoding
of each word into a string of digits.  now throw away any that are the
same as the previous digit in the same sequence.  then throw away all
the zeros. (somehow that seems more useful that the 3k C source or the
corresponding hypercard binary).]

lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (05/26/88)

In article <May.24.23.39.59.1988.11767@constance.rutgers.edu> webber@constance.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:

>Such a net was created.  It was called USENET.  Then along came this
>bunch of big sites who now call themselves ``backbones'' and you can
>see what happened.  Sigh.

Yes! I SEE the light! Let's nuke the backbone!!! Just let me dig
out my trusty backbone map to see who we should pick on first.
Hmm.... There's this site called 'rutgers' that claims to have
nine backbone connections. Let's nuke them first. The rest of
the net should then be able to rest in peace.

--
{alberta,utzoo,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA