[news.groups] rmgroup misc.vogon-news

wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (05/22/88)

[ The following occupies article #14052 in eddie's control newsgroup. ]

From: reid@decwrl.DEC.COM (Brian Reid)
Newsgroups: misc.vogon-news.ctl
Subject: rmgroup misc.vogon-news
Date: 20 May 88 23:19:10 GMT
Control: rmgroup misc.vogon-news

IT'S AN INET GROUP, YOU BLEEDING TWIT!

LOOK CAREFULLY before letting your knee-jerk reactions get the better of you
next time.

..b

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (05/22/88)

In article <9287@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:

(various woof woof calling me names for sending out an rmgroup on
misc.vogon-news).

Vogon News is an internal DEC mailing list. Such mailing lists normally need
explicit approval to be broadcast outside the company. Decwrl, the gateway,
is charged among other things with preventing company confidential
information from leaving the company. I am one of the people who runs decwrl.
Therefore I consider that rmgrouping it first and exploring the issue later
is part of my job.

The person inside DEC who added the UCB gateway to the mailing list is not
authorized to send such lists outside the company. I read Vogon news every
day and I don't want to deny others of you the opportunity to read it every
day, but we have to go through channels on this or the people who pay for our
gateway will get angry.

Until then I will continue to send out rmgroups on it and I will send out
cancel messages on articles that leak out.

wisner@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (05/22/88)

Yup.

And apologies for the woof woof.

But sending the rmgroup without at least a word of explanation to -- what,
six thousand sites? more? -- wasn't too terrific either. Removing a group
that is supposedly under Erik Fair's control without a single word to
anyone was bound to raise eyelashes. Even a simple "there's a good reason
for it, I'll tell you later" would have done.

Everyone knows now, at least..

..b

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (05/22/88)

I sent mail to Erik Fair when I sent out the rmgroup.

It has been my experience that very few people actually read the contents of
control messages so it is pointless to put any explanations there. Most news
administrators rely on the mail that is generated by the arrival of control
messages.

I have quenched Vogon News at the source, blocking its distribution out of
DEC. Therefore it no longer matters to me whether the newsgroup exists.

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Yes, *THAT* Matt Crawford) (05/24/88)

Brian Reid writes:

) It has been my experience that very few people actually read the contents of
) control messages ...

Really?  What sample size?  The first thing I did after seeing the
mail message of the rmgroup was to look for an explanation in the
control message.

) Most news administrators rely on the mail that is generated by the
) arrival of control messages.

... which contains no additional information.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/26/88)

In article <461@bacchus.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>It has been my experience that very few people actually read the contents of
>control messages so it is pointless to put any explanations there. Most news
>administrators rely on the mail that is generated by the arrival of control
>messages.

I submit for your reading pleasure:

	control: 1-10841

I both read control and am caught up in it.  I also have a kill file
which knocks out all the cancel cmsg's ...

I was slightly alarmed when vogon news came through, then saw it
in Erik's official list he gave me and was relieved, then was alarmed
again when you sent out the rmgroup.  But wasn't moved enough one
way or another to actually do anything.

Any idea when it will be approved for sending outside of DEC?
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- SKA: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET