[news.groups] OKAY, OKAY! ENOUGH already.

richh@pnet02.cts.com (Rich Herzog) (05/22/88)

I don't like the `Space Shuttle' signature the way you've interpreted it,
which is {also the way I interpret it, but I think you must admit that
it's sufficiently ambiguous that you could find yourself xDmaking supporting
arguments {on several interpretations, such as

1) i]Both NASA and the Post Office are screwed up.
2) We should support a Space policy {that makes commercial delivery of
   articles to orbit affordable and dependable
3) well -- you could read almost anything into this , I'm afraid.

This is not the only signature in all of USENET I'm not fond of, and
if you didn't like this one, an e-mail was indicated, and possibly even
the posting you made.  He's made his point, you've made yours, maybe
we've al{l learned something, and life goes on.

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!richh
INET: richh@pnet02.cts.com

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (05/28/88)

In article <2706@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> [etc]
>  (Tired, forlorn voice)  Is there _anyone_ out there who agrees with me, if
> only in principle?

I agree that it is not in good taste for a citizen of another country to
criticize (if Henry's posting was indeed a criticism) affairs of another
country unless they directly affect him (like foreign policy).  It seems
that criticism that would be given consideration when coming from within
often provokes resentment when they come from outside.   But Henry's
.signature is at least marginally ambiguous, and even if one takes the
most likely meaning if it, I've found out that one unfortunate fact
about life on the net is that you often run into things that are
2 or 3 orders of magnitude more tasteless than this.  And, no,
nobody should censor Henry in any way.  His contributions speak for
themselves.  But nobody should censor Mr. Levy, too - he got hot under
the collar and shot off, but I'm glad we live in countries and have
mechanisms like USENET that make such discussions and errors possible.

"The only efficient form of government is a dictatorship" (paraphrase) JFK
--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken