[news.groups] Hamilton Group Announcement

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/19/88)

Is the recent "hamilton group" announcement being discussed anywhere
on USENET?  I'm interested in the opinions out there.

Executive Summary: ATT & Sun (and UNISYS and Xerox I think) are
building "the next standard UNIX" ... a number of vendors (DEC, IBM,
Apollo, HP, Seimens, Bull, and some others) form their OWN group
called the Open Software Foundation to build a different UNIX (based
on AIX so I heard), to supposedly come with less restrictions than
ATT's version.

Where's RMS and GNU when you need 'em?	:-)

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (05/20/88)

In article <7147@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Is the recent "hamilton group" announcement being discussed anywhere
>on USENET?  I'm interested in the opinions out there.

I seem to recall there was some (very light) discussion in comp.arch a few weeks
ago but my USENET memory is even shorter than the 6-month limit ;-).

>Executive Summary: ATT & Sun (and UNISYS and Xerox I think) are
>building "the next standard UNIX" ... a number of vendors (DEC, IBM,
>Apollo, HP, Seimens, Bull, and some others) form their OWN group
>called the Open Software Foundation to build a different UNIX (based
>on AIX so I heard), to supposedly come with less restrictions than
>ATT's version.

I attended a Seminar yesterday put on by DEC at their Application Center
for Technology (one of 17 all over NA and Europe). Jim Isaak was
there and spoke about the OSF. I shall do my best here to present some
tidbits but I hope readers out there who are more active in this field
will add to this.

The OSF has a formation committee consisting of
	Dr. Lynn Conway (UMich)
	Prof. M. Dertouzos (MIT)
	Dean James F. Gibbons (Stanford)
	Dr. Gilles Kahn (INRA-Sofia Initopolis-France)
	Prof. Roger Needham (Cambridge)
	Dr. Raj Reddy (CMU)
	Prof. George Tubin (UCB)

A board of directors has been set up consisting of
	John Doyle (VP - HP) as Chairman
	Don McInnis (VP - DEC)
	Mike Guttman (Apollo)
	George Lepicard (Director - Groupe Bull)
	Berhard Wolpker (President - Nixdorf)
	Peter Schoveider (Director - IBM)
	Henry Krouse (VP - DEC) as Interim President

Okay...The objectives of OSF are to push for Open Systems (not to be
confused with COS - they are into the Networking OSI model and stuff like
that and OSF expects to work with them closely).

They will work and make available industry standards, solicit
inputs and technology, use a vendor-neutral (?) decision process,
give equal and early access to specs and development and do some
research as well. They expect to work with established Standarad
Organizations, OSF members, Universities and Res. Orgn, and issue
Newsletters, Spec Docs, Source Code (wow!), and work on
sublicensing rights.

According to the info that was presented at the seminar, they have already
been incorporated in may '88, and have an initial funding committment
of $50-60 Million. Eventually they hope to make it self-supporting.
They will be starting off with POSIX  as Level Zero Specs
and kick off from there.

Please no flames, apologies if there are any names spelled incorrectly,
Perhaps some of the net readers will have more to add/correct (jsq ?)

>Where's RMS and GNU when you need 'em?	:-)

Yeah! If OSF wants something truly open - how about GNU?

>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

--
sharan kalwani, vax facility, mcf, 110 east warren avenue, detroit mi 48201
usenet  : ...!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu, ihnp4!mibte}!mcf!shan

adam@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (Adam Feigin) (05/24/88)

In article <7147@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>Is the recent "hamilton group" announcement being discussed anywhere
>on USENET?  I'm interested in the opinions out there.
>.........mucho deleto
>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

We (Apollo Sites) have just received some information about the OSF and the
'Future of Unix'. I don't know if any of the other vendors of the OSF sent
letters to their customers, so I'll quote briefly....

"To help the foundation deliver implementations of the OSF/AE specifications
more quickly, sponsors of the foundation have offered a number of technologies
including: Network Computing System (tm) (NCS) from Apollo, National language
Support from HP, X Window System toolkits from DEC, core system technology
from advanced OS development work from IBM, UNIX system-based multiprocessor
architecture from Groupe Bull, OSI protocol support from Siemens and
relational database technology from Nixdorf. This willingness of vendors to
offer technology illustrates the strength of open systems. in defining OSF/AE
specifications, the foundation can leverage the R&D investment and skills of
many companies to develop the best possible system."

Its a 5 page document, so I can't very well give you all the details. If
you're really interested., you can call the OSF at (617) 250-0035 (after
July 16, call (508) 250-0035) )

Many of the features of OSF/AE are already incorporated within current Apollo
products, including: a distributed filesystem, (Apollo has always had this,
while NFS was just a twinkle in someone's eye !!!) dynamic linking, shared
libraries, and mapped files.

Hope this is of help.

ARPAnet: {root,adam}@{hyper,apollo}.lap.upenn.edu
UUCP: {harvard,decwrl,rutgers,ihnp4}!super.upenn.edu!hyper.lap.upenn.edu!adam

                                                      Adam Feigin
						   Network Administrator
					         Language Analysis Project
					         University of Pennsylvania

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (05/25/88)

In article <233@mcf.UUCP> shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) writes:

>They will work and make available industry standards, solicit
>inputs and technology, use a vendor-neutral (?) decision process,
>give equal and early access to specs and development and do some
>research as well. They expect to work with established Standarad
>Organizations, OSF members, Universities and Res. Orgn, and issue
>Newsletters, Spec Docs, Source Code (wow!), and work on
>sublicensing rights.

     Somehow I don't think we will ever see this happen.  This is all
just a smokescreen.  In fact, it is already having an effect.  I just
finished speaking with a hardware vendor this evening and spoke with
a software vendor a day or two ago on UNIX-related matters.  Both told
me that they are either changing direction or revisiting policy due to
this action!

     It is all creating confussion, not only for the end user community,
who know nothing but what they read in the trade rags, but also for those
vendors in the middle: the third world vendors, who are looking to UNIX
for their business.  The end user community will read this nonsense and
immediately head for the safe, steady familiar shores of IBM OS/2.  That
is the intention here.  Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to wake up to
IBM's marketing ploy.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (05/27/88)

In article <3248@pdn.UUCP>, reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
> ...  Both told
> me that they are either changing direction or revisiting policy due to
> this action!
>
>      It is all creating confussion, not only for the end user community,
> who know nothing but what they read in the trade rags, but also for those
> vendors in the middle: the third world vendors, who are looking to UNIX
> for their business.  The end user community will read this nonsense and
> immediately head for the safe, steady familiar shores of IBM OS/2.  That
> is the intention here.  Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to wake up to
> IBM's marketing ploy.

That may be a part of it... I can see IBM wishing to tie up the >single-
user< OS market with OS/2... but it is a >single-user< multi-tasking system.
UNIX is inherently a multi-user system, and as such, can provide more bang
for the buck.  With OS/2, you still need to have >1 cpu per user.  Unix
permits >1 user per cpu, a decided advantage.  I was even able to convince
our accountant, a firm devotee of Novell nets, of the truth of this statement,
and anyone who looks at the bottom line will see this is true.

I agree, the probable reason for IBM's commitment here is the creation of
more FUD, and the hope of heading off ATT/Sun/Microsoft (don't forget,
Microsoft has a stake in >both< sides of this issue) from consolidating to
command the 80386 business machine OS market.  OS/2 is an incomplete product,
and it will be 3 or 4 years before it even approaches the maturity and power
of UNIX.  For those who read between the trades, there is currently no contest.

Watch, though, for the new Blunix (a good name for it, no?  Just coined it
myself) to have a real solid connectivity to OS/2... if that were to happen,
I'd consider it myself... in four or five years!

--
Tom Betz                        {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Zen Community of New York          {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!tbetz

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (05/27/88)

That's interesting, people think IBM's interest in Unix relates to its
PCs. IBM has a total market of around $2B on PCs (nothing to sneeze at
but...) and a total gross market of about $60B, much of that in
mainframes running MVS.

My thinking is that although there's certainly some interest and
thinking on the PC side it's loss of market leadership in the
mainframe side that would be motivating IBM in general. An IBM
mainframe is an awesome thing for certain types of applications
(particularly huge data bases) but that alone would probably not keep
them afloat (how many Mastercards or JC Penney's are there in the
world? And they won't change for a long time to come for various
reasons, software investment being a major one, I heard JC Penney's
had something like 20 3081's in the room a few years back and still
couldn't keep up with the sort/merge's.)

A lot of that mainframe market is being threatened by the new
super-minis in a serious way (ie. if a 10 MIPs 3081 with 3MB/sec
channels [~$6M] was good enough for your needs three years ago how
much have you *really* grown that you can't do the same thing on a
current under $1M super-mini? Is a 3090/600E a bit overblown for your
needs today? is it worth putting up with MVS anymore?)

Of course, most of that concern at the moment is doubtless in the govt
market (Federal Systems) I would imagine (that sentence reads
strangely, I'll leave it tho.) One area they seem to have fallen flat
is first the 43xx and now the 9370, there really isn't much mid-range
to their product line anymore (System/36 and 38 excepted, but that
line is aging real fast, I know less about it so I'll stop there.)

I guess all I'm trying to say is that if you find the above rather
complicated and full of stuff you don't usually think about or are
aware of I'd say to stay away from the IBM speculating business, and
I'm sure the above remarks are seriously incomplete in many respects,
such as looking at what divisions of IBM are doing what as they act
rather autonomously.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

lynn@engr.uky.edu (H. Lynn Tilley) (05/28/88)

>Both told me that they are either changing direction or revisiting
>policy due to this action!

	I was kind of suprised to be asked about OSF by a vendor
	today myself.  Their response seemed to be very much like
	Microsoft's in that, if it becomes a standard, they will support
	it. They are clearly staying out of the fight and watching
	what happens.

>The end user community will read this nonsense and
>immediately head for the safe, steady familiar shores of IBM OS/2.  That
>is the intention here.  Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to wake up to
>IBM's marketing ploy.

	Lets not get carried away here.  I don't think that you can
	lay this entirely at IBM's doorstep.  Digital and HP obviously
	played a large part in it also.  One of the things that I
	heard was that AT&T was asked to join and DONATE Unix sysVr3.
	When AT&T turned the offer down (something to do with Dec
	being unwilling to put VMS into the pot -- again something
	that I heard in passing) everyone in the group licensed
	AIX from IBM.

	It seems alittle ironic that the companies that have the most
	to loose from the arrival at a standard operating system are the
	ones that are forming this group.  I agree with you in that this
	seems largely to be a marketing ploy.  The thing that I can't
	figure out is why Digital, HP and Apollo would agree to work the
	kinks out of AIX for IBM and on top of that, fund the operation.

	I don't think that people are going to flock too Microsoft's OS/2
	though.  It requires too much hardware and has far to little
	software to attract people.  The thing that propelled DOS (and
	still does for that matter) is applications software.  I would
	hate to have to buy the extended/enhanced whiz-bang version of
	OS/2 at $800/copy (I think this is right, might be more) and
	find out that due to lack of applications, etc. that I could
	have gotten by with an $89 version of DOS.

--
 |   Henry L. Tilley             Center for Robotics and Manufacturing Systems
 |   University of Kentucky      INTERNET:                   lynn@engr.uky.edu
 V   Voice (606)257-6262         UUCP:          {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!lynn
 O   Opinions, mine! Facts, ?    BITNET:         lynn%engr.uky.edu@ukma.bitnet