[news.groups] Why Vote No

mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) (05/26/88)

Dave Caswell writes:

>I asked this question a while ago and no one answered.  Why do we allow
>NO votes?  Who cares how many people are uninterested in a topic and will
>never read about it?   I'm going to vote YES just to counteract the people
>who are voting NO.

Because voting no is the only way to effectively express disapproval of any
aspect of a group proposal.  Considerations like "does it have an
appropriate name?" or "where should it be in the hierarchy?"  are relevant.

Let me suggest a modification to the current voting rules.  Have two phases;
in the first phase, the "interest" phase, only "Yes" votes are collected as
to whether a group *under some name* will be created for the subject matter
at hand.  In the second phase, the name of the group is voted on; here I
think it would appropriate to have a majority rule, so that, if no proposed
name gets a majority, the group is not created.  I think perhaps that votes
for "none of the above" might be permitted (implying an effective vote
against creation under any name), but it might be better to require voting
FOR some name in this phase, implying that one must suggest a new name if
one is to vote against all the previously suggested names.

Comments?

C. Wingate

rroot@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (05/27/88)

From article <11672@mimsy.UUCP>, by mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate):
> Dave Caswell writes:

>>I asked this question a while ago and no one answered.  Why do we allow
>>NO votes?  Who cares how many people are uninterested in a topic and will

> Because voting no is the only way to effectively express disapproval of any
> aspect of a group proposal.  Considerations like "does it have an
> appropriate name?" or "where should it be in the hierarchy?"  are relevant.

The point to having NO votes is mostly as stated above, but since NO votes
tend to be rather rare (cf: comp.protocol.tcp.eniac), it seems fine to
allow them. If NO votes are enough to counteract most of the YESs, then
it would be fair to assume that there is SOMETHING wrong with the newsgroup
proposal (if only lack of interest).

--
-------------
 Stephen Samuel

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (05/28/88)

In article <3127@edm.UUCP> rroot@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) writes:
>If NO votes are enough to counteract most of the YESs, then it would be
>fair to assume that there is SOMETHING wrong with the newsgroup proposal
>(if only lack of interest).

assume SOMETHING?

No votes should be thrown out unless they cite a violation of guidelines.
Random people who have something against the subject matter
itself should not be allowed to kill a new group proposal
just by saying no.

 --dave

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) (06/01/88)

>The point to having NO votes is mostly as stated above, but since NO votes
>tend to be rather rare (cf: comp.protocol.tcp.eniac), it seems fine to
>allow them. If NO votes are enough to counteract most of the YESs, then
>it would be fair to assume that there is SOMETHING wrong with the newsgroup
>proposal (if only lack of interest).

There is such a thing as organized bigotry. The only thing wrong with a
newsgroup proposal may be that it runs foul of a grouping with ideological
reasons for opposing its creation. This would presumably happen to any
proposal for rec.guns.abolition.thereof, given the gun lobby's track record,
and it's happening to comp.women. There are far more male supremacists on the
net than there are feminists, and so the present creation rule works in
their favour.

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack