[news.groups] Summer Comes to the Backbone

mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) (06/16/88)

Max Hauser writes:

>| the backbone is very close to ignoring it's own rules for group
>| creation and seriously considering vetong the group anyway.

>Regardless of the current comp.women argument, I am surprised to see
>such an assertion made *now* with apparent outrage. In the last couple
>of months vocal members of the backbone have forcefully asserted their
>privilege to do exactly that -- even to the point of rewriting the
>guidelines-for-creation-of-a-new-newsgroup to make it clear that they
>consider voting "advisory" only.

... and the guidelines for various things have been changed several times
when the "rules" promulgated by the "backbone" were taken seriously as rules
to the extent that outsiders interpreted them as binding upon the backbone.
I'm not saying that this is a bad thing; I was one who argued for
clarification rather than "rules" as I understood very well that the
backbone was going to do what it wanted.

But what I find interesting is that, after years of talking about the net as
an anarchy, we find backbone types complaining bitterly when other backbone
types act unilaterally, or threaten to.  In short, they seem to be
complaining that the backbone is starting to act like an anarchy!

The message here seems to be that anarchy works as long as there is a pretty
much overwhelming guarantee of consensus.  Given the trend of group
creation, philosophizing about the net, and the line of discussion in many
groups, it was inevitable that someone could combine them all into a
proposal for a group whose content was meritorious but whose creation was
going to be highly controversial.  Such a group would never find a
consensus.  And in fact we had as many "no" votes as most proposals collect
at ALL.

Part of the problem, I think, centers around the voting.  The most recent
interpretation handed down from the backbone is that it is essentially a
means of collecting information.  But the information, I should note, is
summarized in the "yes/no" result from the vote.  Votes are quite
indifferent as to the size of the victory; by naming something as a positive
result, I think there is a certain commitment made to honoring the results;
at the least, there is a commitment made to be upfront about decisions not
to honor the vote.  If you are going to let the vote proceed, I think there
is some commitment made to abide by the results; if not, the anarchic nature
of the backbone is going to present an immovable stumbling block.

It seems to me, then, that there are three ways to resolve this:

(a) go for comp.society.women as a compromise.
(b) insist on the acceptance of the voting results, and create comp.women.
(c) change the voting rules to reflect a denegration of controversial
    creation attempts, and create no new group.

As a nay-sayer in the voting, I prefer (a), even though it delays the
fundamental problem.  (b) is, I think, ultimately unpalatable to the
backbone.  (c) rewards negative controversy, although it protects consensus;
in the balance, I don't think we need to encourage people to stir up trouble.

At any rate, this episode is valuable as an illustration that some of the
principles espoused by the backbone are truer than they may have thought.

C. Wingate