[news.groups] how much can it matter?

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (06/17/88)

In article <3354@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
# [...] Create the damn group and get it on with your lives.  What
# difference could it possibly make one way or the other that's worth all this
# screaming and yelling?

People who help make the network work are concerned about precedence, entropy,
creeping chaos, and stagnation.  With the present concerns about the death or
restructuring of USENET, I'm very glad that there are some bright people out
there saying, "Hey, let's think this through."
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/17/88)

In article <3094@palo-alto.DEC.COM>, vixie@palo-alto (Paul Vixie) writes:
>People who help make the network work are concerned about precedence, entropy,
>creeping chaos, and stagnation.

Yes.  In the comp.women case, the objections now are to the violation of
precedence, increase of general entropy, apparent chaos on the backbone,
and stagnation in forming the group already.

>				  With the present concerns about the death or
>restructuring of USENET, I'm very glad that there are some bright people out
>there saying, "Hey, let's think this through."

They can think them through on their own time.  They don't need to do it
on comp.women's time.

If, say, it's decided to rename five of the current newsgroups in comp.* as
part of the final compromise, I don't see why this is going to be made so
infinitely more complicated by renaming six newsgroups.  Do you?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720