[news.groups] Name that group--but when?

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/19/88)

In article <9685@e.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>Sure, it's been discussed and voted to death.  There is a basic fundamental
>flaw in our system however.  That is, the name of what is being voted on
>is being settled too early in the process.

Maybe.

But a requirement that agreement about the name come prior to voting
suffers two major defects:

 * lots of time could be wasted over a group that won't pass anyway

This was the fate over arguments about soc.gender-issues vs soc.sexes.

 * controversial groups might never be created if voting is held up

Imagine if the correct name for comp.women had to be decided before the
vote began.  Voting would then never get to take place.  It was the vot-
ing success that forced the name issue to come to a resolution.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720