[news.groups] What to do with Binary Groups

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (06/19/88)

In article <4350@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> Gene Spafford writes:
>Now could we please create the group and move on to arguing over
>what the hell to do with the binary groups?

Create bin.*, all moderated; let who ever feels like carrying them do so,
and whoever feels like ftp archiving them ditto.

Subdivide the hierarchy by host type and by {work,play} somehow; it's not
clear to me whether folks would find it easier to manage

  bin.pcdos
  bin.pcdos.fun
  bin.xenix386
  bin.xenix386.fun
   . . .

   or

  bin.fun.pcdos
  bin.fun.aint-it
   . . .

Modify the guidelines to stipulate that comp.* is exclusively for readable
text postings.

You might also want to have a moderated "bin.how-to" group which would carry
source for portable uu{en,de}code and other support utilities useful for
managing binaries on the net; this group would also accept mail from users
having problems posting or grabbing binaries and post digests of these
questions and answers for general edification.  These digests could in turn
be boiled down to a "Frequently Asked Questions" article and posted in
monthly rotation like Gene's newusers stuff.  On the other hand this may
be too much for one person, especially considering the number of different
host environments out there, so perhaps unmoderated would be better.

I think this would be a successful arrangement if we set it up.  Comments?
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF