[news.groups] Info wanted on eniac computers

johnl@marque.mu.edu (John Ledan) (06/17/88)

A friend and I have access to an ENIAC computer, and although
it's in pretty sad state, we think we can get it going provided
we can get some help and information about it.

Where is the best place to discuss these computers, grepping
through the spool directories here showed some technical talk
in news.stargate, which seems to have gone *poof* (why?) recently,
and a bunch of noise in news.*, which given the content of late
could be renamed noise.* :-)

Any suggestions ? And thanks in advance.

--John

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/18/88)

In article <198@marque.mu.edu>, johnl@marque.mu.edu (John Ledan) writes:
> A friend and I have access to an ENIAC computer, and although
> it's in pretty sad state, we think we can get it going provided
> we can get some help and information about it.

Yes, it can be quite difficult to get good documentation on the ENIAC.
The more I read of the literature, the more convinced I am that most
of the people who set out to describe it have never programmed it.
It is amusing to trace the cribbing of author upon author back to the
original 1946 10 page note in Mathematical Tables and Aids To Computation
by the Goldstine's.  While that note was useful for introducing numerical
analysts to the power of the new machine, it is quite inadequate for
the anyone directly working with the ENIAC (comparable to trying to
use UNIX after reading Ritchie and Thompson's 1974 CACM paper -- a
nice overview but no replacement for a systems manual).  I expect to
soon post a more definitive description of the ENIAC architecture, but
for now, you might want to get a copy of Burks' From ENIAC to the Stored-
Program Computer: Two Revolutions in Computers which appeared in A
History of Computing in the Twentieth Century -- A Collection of
Essays edited by N. Metropolis, J. Howlett, and Gian-Carlo Rota (Academic
Press, 1980).

> Where is the best place to discuss these computers,...
> Any suggestions ? And thanks in advance.

Currently comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac is the best place to discuss them
as it is the only eniac-related group that the net has voted to create.
Connectivity has been awkward for this group as Spafford is currently
opposed to the addition of any computer-related groups to comp.*.  The
easiest way to establish connectivity between your site and whichever
nearby sites carry comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac is to issue a newgroup
command for it.  Since it is an unmoderated group, this should cause no
problems.

-------- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

adb@alice.UUCP (06/24/88)

If you *really* want info on the ENIAC, go to the library of the Moore
School of Electrical Engineering, which still has all the original design
documents for the ENIAC on the shelf.  However, I suspect they won't be that
useful, since there was only one ENIAC and it has long since been dismantled
and scattered.

	Alan Berenbaum	AT&T Bell Labs	ihnp4!research!adb

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/25/88)

In article <8012@alice.UUCP>, adb@alice.UUCP writes:
> If you *really* want info on the ENIAC, go to the library of the Moore
> School of Electrical Engineering, which still has all the original design

Well it looks like eventually I will have to visit the U Penn (I
presume the Moore School is in Philadelphia with the rest of it).
[I hate travel and big cities, but c'est la vie.]  The 1945-1955 period
in the history of computing is chock full of fascinating documents as
some very major thinkers came to grips with the notion of computing.
The ENIAC seems to have been the only major attempt at a parallel
computer during this time period [at least one author has noted that
the ILLIAC is more closely the successor of the ENIAC than either the
EDVAC or the BINIAC (the latter two being more reactions against the
percieved problems with the ENIAC by the designers of it rather than
attempts to ``upgrade'' it)].

> documents for the ENIAC on the shelf.  However, I suspect they won't be that
> useful, since there was only one ENIAC and it has long since been dismantled
> and scattered.

The BRL machine was dismantled and scattered to various museums on 2nd
day of October in the year 1955.  Whether or not any other machines were
ever made from that design is something that would be difficult to prove
(except, of course, in the positive by an example).  So far no published
references have come to my attention.  However, the documents would still
prove useful.  A software simulation of the machine requires rather detailed
knowledge of its hardware.   A hardware simulation is, at the moment,
just a dream -- but the resources are available if I can just find the
time to master them (a direct VLSI implementation is my current
``ultimate'' goal).  A design for microcode that is functionally equivalent
to ``wiring up'' the ENIAC is still in progress.

---- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)