[news.groups] Digests

ockerbloom-john@CS.YALE.EDU (John A. Ockerbloom) (07/26/88)

In article <22336@tis.llnl.gov> mcb@tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>In article <440@vector.UUCP> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>> Starting on this date, I will begin to forward digests from the TELECOM
>> mailing list into comp.dcom.telecom....

>Arrrgh!  Please don't gateway TELECOM in digested form.  Digests are
>not amenable to newsreading software (yes, you can deal with them with
>readnews or rn, but it ain't fun).  If TELECOM is to be gatewayed, it
>should be done as *individual messages*, meaning it needs to be done
>at or near the source of the ARPA-side mailing list, i.e., on an
>Internet/Usenet gateway site that can handle the individual messages....

I agree that individual messages are the best way to go.  Failing this,
digest moderators should at least flag each new article with a Subject:
line.  With a newsreader like rn, you can then skip ahead to each new
article with Ctrl-G.

Digests without Subject: lines (like the revived Computers and Society
digest over on cop.society) take more work to go through, and many
readers simply will not take the time to manually search through the
digest for relevant articles.

John Ockerbloom
ockerbloom@cs.yale.EDU              ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!ockerbloom
ockerbloom@yalecs.BITNET            Box 5323 Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (07/26/88)

It is trivial to make the redefinition in rn to key on "^--------"s.

>Digests without Subject: lines (like the revived Computers and Society
>digest over on comp.society) take more work to go through,

Five minutes.  Five whole minutes by someone, somewhere on Usenet, who
then posts the secret of what to put in your comp.society KILL file.

I did it in five minutes for my own Gnews.  What's the big deal?

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720