[news.groups] Bell Tech 386 SysVr3

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (08/07/88)

In article <404@uport.UUCP> plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:

>Hey Guys,
>
>	Did you notice the name of the group you are flaming in?
>	I didn't think so.  Try comp.unix.xenix (or even better, try email)
>
>	-John Plocher

Cross posting to .xenix and .microport is needed these days, since
the net Gods have seen fit to provide only these two groups for
286 and 386 UNIX'es.  Where are Bell Tech, ISC, and Venturcom people
to go?  How can you discuss the relative merits of each companies
offerings without cross posting?

With the impending merge of UNIX, it makes more sense to just break
the groups as "i286" and "i386".

Not only does this break the audience into camps with similar needs
and problems, but it also gets rid of the commercial aspects to
the existing group names (something that doesn't bother me, but
does bother some).
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (08/08/88)

In article <550@pcrat.UUCP>, rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:

> With the impending merge of UNIX, it makes more sense to just break
> the groups as "i286" and "i386".

 I think this would be a GREAT IDEA, and I can't believe this is the first
time I have ever seen it mentioned on the net. This would certainly allow
us to read the information that pertains to our CPU...

UUCP/SMTP : howardl@wb3ffv		|	Howard D. Leadmon
PACKET    : WB3FFV @ W3ITM		|	Fast Computer Service, Inc.
IP Address: 44.60.0.1			|	P.O. Box  171
Telephone : (301)-335-2206		|	Chase, MD  21027-0171

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (08/09/88)

In article <722@wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>In article <550@pcrat.UUCP>, rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:

>> With the impending merge of UNIX, it makes more sense to just break
>> the groups as "i286" and "i386".

> I think this would be a GREAT IDEA, and I can't believe this is the first
>time I have ever seen it mentioned on the net. This would certainly allow
>us to read the information that pertains to our CPU...

this idea has been gone over and argued multiple times, and was
discussed heavily when this newsgroup was formed.  it's a BAD idea
for this reason:  it would put the XENIX camp in with the INTERACTIVE
port team (microport/bell tech/etc..).

[prepare asbestos suit / install sprinklers in mailbox ]

would all the would-be prophets of the XENIX world stop
their **garbage** postings in comp.unix.microport!

i have purchased microport and am looking for support,
hints, and fixes in this newsgroup.  I am *not* looking for
some XENIX dweeb expounding upon the virtues of his system
over microports.  this is especially true when he/she/it
apparently has little direct experience with microport.

go home.  if you have information about
microport / bell tech, then feel free to post it here, it's
very welcome.  if you just want to throw your shoulder out
of joint patting yourself on the back, do it in your own
yard.

[if someone wants to take this one up, email it]

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ att ulysses ucbvax allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ att ucbvax akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

dar@belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) (08/10/88)

In article <550@pcrat.UUCP>, rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> In article <404@uport.UUCP> plocher@uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> >
> With the impending merge of UNIX, it makes more sense to just break
> the groups as "i286" and "i386".

Yes! At least the "generic" UNIX's are more alike than different on the
80386.  Release 3.2 will make it even more so (and whether you get it from
Interactive, Microport or anyone else, Release 3.2 is a *barnburner*!).

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (08/13/88)

In article <31060@clyde.ATT.COM> wtr@moss.UUCP (Bill Rankin) writes:
>In article <722@wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>>In article <550@pcrat.UUCP>, rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>
>>> With the impending merge of UNIX, it makes more sense to just break
>>> the groups as "i286" and "i386".
>
>this idea has been gone over and argued multiple times, and was
>discussed heavily when this newsgroup was formed.  it's a BAD idea
>for this reason:  it would put the XENIX camp in with the INTERACTIVE
>port team (microport/bell tech/etc..).
>
>would all the would-be prophets of the XENIX world stop
>their **garbage** postings in comp.unix.microport!

I remember the multiple times it has been discussed.  But times
have changed.

I don't own either Microport or Xenix, for either of my 286 or 386 machines.
Yet I have UNIX ports that run on both. (Well, not true, I do own a
copy of Microport V/AT, I just don't use it!).

You want vendor specific groups for support, which is reasonable.
But you don't want the vendor bashing in your support group.

Other people do want the vendor bashing, and comparisons, etc. so
they can make intelligent (?) decisions.

OK, so let's make these groups:

comp.unix.xenix		Discussions about the XENIX O.S.
comp.unix.microport	Discussions about Microport's UNIX
comp.unix.i286		General discussions of any *NIX on the Intel 80286
comp.unix.i386		General discussions of any *NIX on the Intel 80386

With any luck, the comparisons, bashing, et all can go on in the
generic groups.  Leaving your sanctioned 'support' groups free from
clutter.

And then there is the potential for a dos_unix (DOS under UNIX)
group, for VP/ix and Merge discussions.

But lets get the first four groups under control once and for all, first.
--

howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) (08/15/88)

In article <552@pcrat.UUCP>, rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:

> OK, so let's make these groups:
>
> comp.unix.xenix	Discussions about the XENIX O.S.
> comp.unix.microport	Discussions about Microport's UNIX
> comp.unix.i286	General discussions of any *NIX on the Intel 80286
> comp.unix.i386	General discussions of any *NIX on the Intel 80386
>
> 		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

   Well this may be OK, but I would rather see it broke down into the
different vendor catagories under the specific processors. Here is an
example of what I mean:

comp.unix.i286			General 80286 UNIX discussions
comp.unix.i386			General 80386 UNIX discussions
comp.unix.i286.microport	For System V/AT
comp.unix.i386.microport	For System V/386
comp.unix.i386.ix		For IX from Interactive for the 80386
comp.unix.i286.xenix		For 80286 Xenix
comp.unix.1386.xenix		For 80386 Xenix

 I know this idea will create a half dozen new groups, but it will certanly
keep similar interests togeather. Also there should be no big deal about
several subdivisions, it's only a couple extra subdirectories on our systems :-)

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/16/88)

In article <728@wb3ffv.UUCP>, howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>    Well this may be OK, but I would rather see it broke down into the
> different vendor catagories under the specific processors.

> [ list of 7 newsgroups ]

>  I know this idea will create a half dozen new groups, but it will certanly
> keep similar interests togeather.

This is the opposite direction that I feel we should be going.  With
the 2.3 release of SCO Xenix, Xenix and the other 386 Unixes will be
much more similar, so I think that either the pair
	comp.unix.i286
	comp.unix.i386
should be created, or one group should be created, merging
comp.unix.xenix, comp.unix.microport, and the info-386ix mailing list.
I don't have a good name for it, but something like
	comp.unix.i86
    or	comp.unix.intel
might do.  (Certainly the occasional Xenix/86 question is welcome.)

Comments?
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

brian@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Brian Cuthie) (08/16/88)

In article <728@wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl@wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>   Well this may be OK, but I would rather see it broke down into the
>different vendor catagories under the specific processors. Here is an
>example of what I mean:
>
>comp.unix.i286			General 80286 UNIX discussions
>comp.unix.i386			General 80386 UNIX discussions
>comp.unix.i286.microport	For System V/AT
>comp.unix.i386.microport	For System V/386
>comp.unix.i386.ix		For IX from Interactive for the 80386
>comp.unix.i286.xenix		For 80286 Xenix
>comp.unix.1386.xenix		For 80386 Xenix
>
> I know this idea will create a half dozen new groups, but it will certanly
>keep similar interests togeather. Also there should be no big deal about
>several subdivisions, it's only a couple extra subdirectories on our systems :-)

This idea sounds good on the surface, but I suggest that it would be about
the worst thing that could be done.

There are two main problems (as I see it, anyway):

	1.	It would be necessary to cross post most articles to
		several groups since many articles would cross group
		boundaries.

	2.	If you don't cross post, then I'm forced to read about 4 news
		groups to be sure that I haven't missed something.

I think the *real* problem could be solved by having one additional group called
"comp.unix.microport.flames"  When you look at the amount of traffic in this
group that actually has any content it's nil.  *Most* of the articles are
running debates over such technically important issues as "Bell Tech Pricing."
I don't know about you, but I got the point after the first 500 postings.

What is really needed is an alternate news group where the non-technical issues
can be discussed without causing undue stress on my 'n' key.  Of course
I realize that this posting, in itself, is somewhat hypocritical :-)

Maybe a 1 hour delay on the 'F' key would help.

-brian