[news.groups] Call for discussion: comp.windows.ms

mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) (09/12/88)

The number of postings concerning Microsoft Windows in the comp.windows.misc
and comp.sys.ibm.pc groups seems to be on the increase these days.  Several
people in these groups have mentioned that a comp.windows.ms news group my
be appropriate for these postings.  Well...

Being a bit naive 8-) about how one starts a news group I volunteered to
count votes to see if there was enough enthusiasm to warrent a comp.windows.ms
news group.  However...

Someone pointed out to me that I should look at news.groups to see what is
involved in creating a new news group.  Based on what I have seen in
news.groups I have realized that it is too soon to be calling for a vote on
comp.windows.ms.  So...

What does everyone think about creating a new news group for discussion of
Microsoft Windows issues?  Should it be called comp.windows.ms?  Does it make
more sense to create a news group called comp.windows.ibm.pc and include
MS Windows, the OS/2 Presentation Manager, GEM, etc?

I prefer comp.windows.ms for MS Windows and the creation of comp.windows.os2,
etc. for other windows operating systems/environments.  Any other thoughts?

                                                  Marc
----
       ... I never saw the morning until I stayed up all night ...
                            Claudia Schmidt

Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, cca, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (09/13/88)

Since MS Windows isn't likely to be ported anywhere else, I think that
comp.windows.ibm.pc is most appropriate, with a later breakdown if
necessary.
Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604; CN 5063       that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

rossh@umd5.umd.edu (Hollis Ross Jr.) (09/13/88)

In article <17956@mirror.TMC.COM> mguyott@prism.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) writes:
>more sense to create a news group called comp.windows.ibm.pc and include
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>MS Windows, the OS/2 Presentation Manager, GEM, etc?

 This makes more sense, to me at least.  OS/2PM is supposedly
(but don't hold your breath) going to be 80% compatible with
MS-W, so discussions on both should be held in the same place.
The combination of the 3 should be more than enough to warrant
a new newsgroup.

Hollis Ross

"Gozer the Gozarian, as a duly appointed represenative   | rossh@umd5.umd.edu
 of the, State, County and City of New York, I do hereby | Bitnet: rossh@umdd
 command you to cease all paranormal activity and return |---------------------
 forthwit to your place of origin, or the nearest 	 | Bill the cat says
 convient parallel dimension" -  Ghostbusters	 	 | "Just say Ack!"

mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) (09/14/88)

In article <4059@umd5.umd.edu> you write:
>In article <17956@mirror.TMC.COM> mguyott@prism.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) writes:
>>more sense to create a news group called comp.windows.ibm.pc and include
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>MS Windows, the OS/2 Presentation Manager, GEM, etc?
>
> This makes more sense, to me at least.  OS/2PM is supposedly
>(but don't hold your breath) going to be 80% compatible with
>MS-W, so discussions on both should be held in the same place.
>The combination of the 3 should be more than enough to warrant
>a new newsgroup.
>
>Hollis Ross

I still like the idea of creating comp.windows.ms for MS Windows and when
the traffic picks up for OS/2 PM creating comp.windows.pm or comp.windows.os2
for presenation manager discussions.

I believe that the differences between the two (such as routine names,
parameters passed, functionality available, issues dealing with memory
(expanded, extended, etc), accessing interrupts, accessing hardware, etc.)
will be significant enough that the majority of the postings will be of
interest to only one group or the other.  The few items that may be of
interest to both groups could be cross posted.

Is there anyone else that feels this way?
                                                      Marc
----
       ... I never saw the morning until I stayed up all night ...
                            Claudia Schmidt

Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, cca, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (09/14/88)

There is a mailing list slavishly devoted to MS-WINDOWS.  Contact
	{mit-eddie,mirror,...}!premise!postmaster
I had dinner with one of the folks there last night (he's a friend);
traffic is low enough that a newsgroup is not called for.

	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

blair@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian Lair) (09/14/88)

In article <17982@mirror.TMC.COM>, mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) writes:

> I still like the idea of creating comp.windows.ms for MS Windows and when
> the traffic picks up for OS/2 PM creating comp.windows.pm or comp.windows.os2
> for presenation manager discussions.
>
> Is there anyone else that feels this way?

I agree.  And this would fit in nicely with the current newsgroup:
    comp.windows.ms    - Windows/286, Windows/386
    comp.windows.pm    - OS/2 Presentations Manager
    comp.windows.misc  - GEM, X-Windows, etc.

--
Brian R. Lair            NCR Corporation, E&M Wichita, Advanced Development
 Brian.Lair@Wichita.NCR.COM

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (09/14/88)

>comp.windows.ibm.pc

Remember that one company has announced NeWS for OS/2.
Maybe comp.windows.ms is a better choice.
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (09/15/88)

In article <354@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM> blair@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian Lair) writes:
>    comp.windows.misc  - GEM, X-Windows, etc.
                               ^^^^^^^^^
Ummm... considering comp.windows.x, that's a joke, right?  You forgot
your ":-)"!
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Now that I have my ``APPLE,'' I comprehend COST ACCOUNTING!!

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (09/15/88)

In article <4059@umd5.umd.edu>, rossh@umd5.umd.edu (Hollis Ross Jr.) writes:
>  This makes more sense, to me at least.  OS/2PM is supposedly
> (but don't hold your breath) going to be 80% compatible with
> MS-W, so discussions on both should be held in the same place.
> The combination of the 3 should be more than enough to warrant
> a new newsgroup.

I saw a newpaper article today saying it is rumoured that IBM and Steve Jobs
have reached an agreement to licence his user interface from the NEXT computer.

Adding speculation to a rumour (:-), I wonder if Apple's lawsuit has scared
IBM into an embrace with Steve Jobs?  If the rumour is true, it will be a great
boost for NEXT, and an equal blow to MS-Windows.

Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (09/15/88)

In article <354@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM> blair@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian Lair) writes:
>In article <17982@mirror.TMC.COM>, mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) writes:
>> I still like the idea of creating comp.windows.ms for MS Windows and when
>    comp.windows.misc  - GEM, X-Windows, etc.

I'm not sure if we should trust this guy.  He lumps GEM in the same group as
X-windows.

Besides, as Rich pointed out there's already a MS-windows mailing list,
perhaps people should start pointing out in the newsgroup that the mailing
list exists and that discussion should move there.  THEN when volume
on the mailing list has grown enough people can request an upgrade
from mailing list -> newsgroup.
--
<---- David Herron -- One of the MMDF guys                   <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

shel@cfi.COM (shel) (09/15/88)

I fully agree that a comp.windows.ms would be a good idea.  With IBM's
move to pm in the future there are more and more of us trying to make
some sense out of MS Windows and a discussion group would be of
great value

--
Sheldon Laube, The Consumer Financial Institute, Waltham, MA 617-899-6500
{decvax!yale|allegra|ihnp4|ucbvax!cbosgd}!ima!cfisun!shel