[news.groups] NEWSGROUP PROPOSAL: COMP.DATABASES.DBASE

regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) (09/15/88)

]:[

i'm curious in seeing if there is any interest in creating a subgroup of
comp.databases for discussion about ashton tate's dbase product, dbase,
for the microcomputer.  since comp.databases deals with databases
of all sorts, running on all different types of machines, perhaps a sub-
group would be most appropriate for this.

i hereby open the floor for discussion...  can we vote?  or, would
a mailing list be more appropriate?

therefore, i propose the creation of "comp.databases.dbase" for
discussion about ashton-tate's dbase product.

thanks!

--

                        |  michael regoli
                        |  ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!regoli
                        |  regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu

rick@svedberg.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) (09/16/88)

The volume of traffic in comp.databases (esp. related to dbase ) does not
justify spliting this specific product out. I see no need for a separate news
group.

Richard H. Miller                 Email: rick@svedberg.bcm.tmc.edu
Head, System Support              Voice: (713)799-4511
Baylor College of Medicine        US Mail: One Baylor Plaza, 302H
                                           Houston, Texas 77030

berlin@bu-cs.BU.EDU (David K. Fickes) (09/16/88)

In article <1268@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> rick@svedberg.bcm.tmc.edu (Richard H. Miller) writes:
>The volume of traffic in comp.databases (esp. related to dbase ) does not
>justify spliting this specific product out. I see no need for a separate news
>group.

I don't either, however, perhaps it IS time to set up a set of mailing
lists for product-specific questions... I tend to have a lot of
RTI-Ingres specific questions but am rather loath to post them onto
EVERYONE's machine... Maybe a mailing list for specific products is
in order and the various addresses for the reflectors can be posted
periodically?

For that matter, perhaps a listserver can be setup???

- david
David K. Fickes     Center for Einstein Studies/Einstein Papers Project
UUCP: ...harvard!bu-it!berlin			Boston University
OTHERWISE: berlin@bu-it.bu.edu			745 Commonwealth Avenue
PHONE:	(617) 353-9249	(617) 277-9741		Boston, MA 02215

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (09/17/88)

In article <2272@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:

> i'm curious in seeing if there is any interest in creating a subgroup of
> comp.databases for discussion about ashton tate's dbase product, dbase,
> for the microcomputer.
>
> i hereby open the floor for discussion...  can we vote?  or, would
> a mailing list be more appropriate?

Do a mailing list. Frankly, I don't think you have a clue about the content
of comp.databases. If you had read this for any length of time, you'd have
seen that there's VERY little interest in dBASE in that group. Certainly no
justification for a new group...

I would certainly vote against it, and urge others to do likewise.
--
 Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
evan@telly.UUCP (PENDING: evan@telly.on.ca) / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan

itkin@mrspoc.UUCP (Steven M. List) (09/17/88)

Unless I'm missing something, I haven't seen enough traffic in here to
warrant a separate newsgroup.  I think this proposal is, at best, premature.
--
*  Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc.
*  {coherent,mips,ubvax}!mrspoc!itkin

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (09/24/88)

in article <335@telly.UUCP>, evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) says:

> In article <2272@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>, regoli@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (michael regoli) writes:
>>
>> i'm curious in seeing if there is any interest in creating a subgroup of
>> comp.databases for discussion about ashton tate's dbase product, dbase,
>> for the microcomputer.
>>
>> i hereby open the floor for discussion...  can we vote?  or, would
>> a mailing list be more appropriate?
>

> I would certainly vote against it, and urge others to do likewise.

I agree that there isn't enough interest to create a newsgroup just for
dBase, even though dBase IV is soon to appear. A mailing list would indeed
be more appropriate.

(p.s., I just got the pre-release edition of dBase IV. It is a very complex
product, but the SQL implementation looks good. I'm afraid to say any more,
since I don't know exactly what I'm allowed to disclose at this point.)

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai