[news.groups] Give Netware its own newsgroup?

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) (10/16/88)

A substantial fraction of the articles in comp.dcom.lans are specific
to Novell Netware, which seems to be some kind of IBM PC fileserver.
They seem to be only loosely associated with data communications;
half of them are actually about peripherals for use with Netware.

Perhaps this topic should be moved to a newsgroup of its own?
It's not clear to me whether it should be under comp.sys, comp.os,
or comp.protocols.  Comments?  Name suggestions?

romkey@asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) (10/16/88)

In article <8320@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don
Speck) suggests that a Novell-specific newsgroup be formed because a
lot of the traffic in comp.dcom.lans is about NetWare.

First off, comp.dcom.lans doesn't have a lot of traffic. My logs show
we got 1 message in it today and 8 yesterday (I don't keep the logs
any further back than that). I know it's not in the list of the top 25
newsgroups, but beyond that we've expired the news lists too.

With the traffic level being that low, it's quite easy to just ignore
the Netware messages, and I think it also indicates that there's not
enough interest in Netware to support a newsgroup specifically devoted
to the subject.

Second, I don't think that articles about Netware are inappropriate in
comp.dcom.lans.

If someone out there (I don't believe that Don Speck is interested in
this, what he wants is a Netware-free comp.dcom.lans) really wants a
place to discuss Netware issues, it would be best to try creating a
mailing list first before turning it into a newsgroup.

I don't think this proposed group is a good idea.
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: romkey@asylum.uucp		ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (10/16/88)

  I think that moving Novell Netware out of comp.dcom.lans is a great
idea.  I second the motion.  Very little of the traffic I've seen on
Netware has had anything to do with communications protocols or issues.

  Move it to comp.sys.ibm.pc.novell, or just have them use the already
existing group comp.sys.ibm.pc.net.  We'll be happier for not having to
wade through it and they'll be happier for not having to wade through
communications protocols issues.

Casey

mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) (10/18/88)

In article <8320@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) writes:
>A substantial fraction of the articles in comp.dcom.lans are specific
>to Novell Netware, which seems to be some kind of IBM PC fileserver.
>They seem to be only loosely associated with data communications;
>half of them are actually about peripherals for use with Netware.

I think the Netware discussions should be moved to comp.sys.ibm.pc.net.
I am very interested in learning more about Novell and Netware but I
would have never thought to look in comp.dcom.lans.
                                                Marc
----
       ... I never saw the morning until I stayed up all night ...
                               Tom Waits

Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777