[news.groups] comp.os.v ?

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (10/23/88)

What's this newsgroup for?  I haven't seen any traffic for a month.

Given the amount of discussion about Mach, I'd be tempted to go one
for one, remove comp.os.v and create comp.os.mach.

--Ed

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (10/24/88)

     Comp.os.v is a newsgroup for discussions of the V operating system,
developed by David Cheriton's group at Stanford.  It is not a widely used
system, even at Stanford, and is not likely to be; it's really a vehicle
for the development of new concepts in distributed processing.  It runs
primarily on original Stanford-built Sun I systems, back-ended by VAXen.

					John Nagle

rfpfeifle@violet.waterloo.edu (Ron Pfeifle) (10/24/88)

In article <1270@mailgw.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>What's this newsgroup for?  I haven't seen any traffic for a month.
>
>Given the amount of discussion about Mach, I'd be tempted to go one
>for one, remove comp.os.v and create comp.os.mach.
>
>--Ed

This would be the right thing to do if V was a Unixish based system (maybe),
but it isn't.  It has different basis (SSR message passing).

(I'd like to see more traffic, too, though, because I want to learn how
things are going with V.  A synopsis of recent developments might be nice
for we "lurkers").

Ron

bc@halley.UUCP (Bill Crews) (10/25/88)

In article <9265@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rfpfeifle@violet.waterloo.edu (Ron Pfeifle) writes:
>In article <1270@mailgw.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>>Given the amount of discussion about Mach, I'd be tempted to go one
>>for one, remove comp.os.v and create comp.os.mach.
>
>This would be the right thing to do if V was a Unixish based system (maybe),
>but it isn't.  It has different basis (SSR message passing).

What does the Unixishness of V or of Mach have to do with their validity as
comp.os newsgroups?  The interesting parts of Mach are the nonUnix parts,
mostly.

I vote for more traffic on V and a separate comp.os.mach newsgroup.  Probably
shouldn't be debated here, though.

-bc
--
Bill Crews                        bc@halley.UUCP
(512) 244-8350                    ..!rutgers!cs.utexas.edu!halley!bc