[news.groups] comp.sys.next, voting, etc.

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (10/21/88)

The posting about creating groups that has gone out almost monthly for
the last year or so says that the discussion and vote are ADVISED.
There is certainly no requirement of any kind, in the sense that any
sites issuing or honoring a newgroup message will get blown off the
network.  To the contrary, it simply states that any such "newgroup"
might not be honored by a significant percentage of sites....especially
if the "newgroup" isn't honored at sites in major positions of newsflow
(like uunet, att, ucbvax, etc.) or appears in my unofficial list of
newsgroups.

In the past, some groups have been created by "fiat" when conditions
demonstrated a pressing need.  The requirement of a vote and discussion
serves to make sure that the name and position within the namespace are
correct, and that there is sufficient support to maintain the group.
Sometimes, events show that such things need not be demonstrated --
they are obvious as is.

So it is with the comp.sys.next group, it seems.  Someone has issued a
"newgroup."  The volume for such a group certainly appears to be
present, there has been little resistance voiced in news.groups, and
comp.sys.next is the obvious choice of name.  Some of us (I mean to
include myself), believe that the NeXt (or however it is) controversy
is pure marketing hype (the machine is not going to be very useful for
computer science teaching or research, but English and history majors
should love it).  Nonetheless, if people want to flood the net with
speculative articles about a system they haven't used, they might as
well do it in a labeled group rather than crossposted to other, less
appropriate groups.  People already post megabytes of drivel (4Mb per
day average of late) on subjects that know little about, so why should
this group be different?

I am going to poll a group of major site admins to see if they intend
to keep the group.  If so, I'll list it in the list of groups. If not,
I won't list it until after the current vote is completed, as per the
guidelines.

As far as comments about the backbone go, well, everyone complained
about the backbone group and its attempts to set some guiding
policies.  Those complaints took their toll; Bob Webber and his ilk got
their way.  The backbone is gone, as such.  And until someone can come
up with a reasonably fair, sane method of resolving disputes for a
network of over 10,000 sites and 300,000 readers -- including some very
stupid and anti-social members -- you'll have to settle for this:
commentary and debate in the news.* groups, with an occasional
unilateral move that may or may not be accepted by everyone else.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

blenko-tom@CS.YALE.EDU (Tom Blenko) (10/22/88)

In article <5178@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:

|The posting about creating groups that has gone out almost monthly for
|the last year or so says that the discussion and vote are ADVISED.
|In the past, some groups have been created by "fiat" when conditions
|demonstrated a pressing need.
|So it is with the comp.sys.next group, it seems.

I'm somewhat confused as to why anyone would post such a message.  Is
this sort of like, "We control things, we obviously don't control
things, but it's OK, these things happen, we can still think we control
things?"

|Some of us (I mean to
|include myself), believe that the NeXt (or however it is) controversy
|is pure marketing hype (the machine is not going to be very useful for
|computer science teaching or research, but English and history majors
|should love it).  Nonetheless, if people want to flood the net with
|speculative articles about a system they haven't used, they might as
|well do it in a labeled group rather than crossposted to other, less
|appropriate groups.  People already post megabytes of drivel (4Mb per
|day average of late) on subjects that know little about, so why should
|this group be different?

Well, first thing, Jobs has twice before provided revolutionary
introductions into the market place. We may realize the magnitude of
the first (Apple II), we clearly don't realize the magnitude of the
second yet (look at the exponential growth of Macintosh sales), and I
don't think it's at all out of line to think about and discuss what the
consequences of the third might be. It is, after all, current news.
And while I don't think every posting has provided great insight on the
subject, that discussion, among other things, has been one benefit of
this group to date.

I see absolutely no reason for your suggestion that this discussion is
drivel.  If you have an argument in favor of your view, you are welcome
to present it.  But insulting the people who do participate is simply
rudeness on your part.

Regarding the merits of the machine, two points:

      - I may be a minority (of one) in thinking that by far the most
	interesting and revolutionary aspect of this machine is its
	DSP/analog interface. There are just a huge number of
	applications for a machine that can acquire/generate analog
	signals, do signal processing, etc. in scientific research
	environments. Most of these can be done now, and a few are, but
	this capability is simply not available to a lot of people, and
	not to anyone for $6K/system. So I expect there will be many
	people out there who will find the ability to interface a
	computer for cheap to existing electronic devices a great
	asset, and an opportunity for lots of further innovation.

      - With regard to its role teaching CS, I have no reason to think
	that this machine has any special role. Maybe cheaper, maybe
	faster, maybe some advantage to be taken of the optical disk
	capability, but exploitation of these is not restricted to
	computer scientists. However, CS is a very small segment of the
	academic world, and probably the one whose needs have been best
	addressed, among all the possible segments, by products
	developed to date. So its ability to address CS needs is not
	especially irrelevant to its ability to address the academic
	marketplace.

|I am going to poll a group of major site admins to see if they intend
|to keep the group.  If so, I'll list it in the list of groups. If not,
|I won't list it until after the current vote is completed, as per the
|guidelines.

Gee, I have another idea. Why not take the weekend off, do something
fun, spend some time thinking about whatever you find interesting. Then
you might have something better to do than snipe at other people.

|As far as comments about the backbone go, well, everyone complained
|about the backbone group and its attempts to set some guiding
|policies.  Those complaints took their toll; Bob Webber and his ilk got
|their way.  The backbone is gone, as such.  And until someone can come
|up with a reasonably fair, sane method of resolving disputes for a
|network of over 10,000 sites and 300,000 readers -- including some very
|stupid and anti-social members -- you'll have to settle for this:
|commentary and debate in the news.* groups, with an occasional
|unilateral move that may or may not be accepted by everyone else.

I haven't heard any complaints about settling for this! And I take it
you're not including yourself, your remarks above notwithstanding,
among the anti-social members :-)

	Tom

heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us (Ron Heiby) (10/25/88)

Tom Blenko (blenko-tom@CS.YALE.EDU) writes:
> I don't think it's at all out of line to think about and discuss what the
> consequences of the third might be. It is, after all, current news.
AHA!  I aliased comp.sys.next to the wrong newsgroup on my system.  I
aliased it to comp.sys.misc.  Now I find out that "it is, after all,
current news."  I should have aliased it to misc.headlines!!!

> Regarding the merits of the machine, two points:
>
> 	this capability is simply not available to a lot of people, and
> 	not to anyone for $6K/system.
Ah, yes.  Precisely!  It's "simply not available".  They aren't shipping,
and even when they do, it'll only be for educational institutions.  We
don't need a newsgroup to discuss vaporware.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us	Moderator: comp.newprod
"There is a fine line between stupidity and cleverness." (This is Spinal Tap)

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (10/26/88)

heiby@mcdchg.chi.il.us (Ron Heiby) said:
->
-> 	this capability is simply not available to a lot of people, and
-> 	not to anyone for $6K/system.
-Ah, yes.  Precisely!  It's "simply not available".  They aren't shipping,
-and even when they do, it'll only be for educational institutions.  We
-don't need a newsgroup to discuss vaporware.

Yes, but there are quite a number of students that read the net, and will
quite possibly be buying the machines.

In addition the use of Mach and the various Gnu products will ensure a
high level of interest from people who don't have the machines, but want
to know about how it's working.

Besides, if we don't need a newsgroup to discuss vaporware, what do we
have comp.{deleted-to-save-my-posting-privileges} for?

--
David Bedno (aka The Cat in the Hat) Now appearing at: davidbe@sco.COM -OR-
...!{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucbvax!ucscc}!sco!davidbe -OR-

       		      "Thanks Chaz!  Wanna gummy?"