[news.groups] I vote

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (10/24/88)

If you're interested in seeing comp.os.mach, let me know.  Reply
to this article and edit the header to reflect your preference,
and send the result to
	mach-vote-yes@starbarlounge.cc.umich.edu
	mach-vote-no@starbarlounge.cc.umich.edu
depending on which you'd like.

If you have special interests in Mach, like ports in progress,
lucid descriptions of interesting projects underway, programming
tutorials etc., include copies of them with your vote.

I would expect that the level of discussion can start out on a
fairly high level if some basic tutorial/what is Mach questions
can get out of the way.

Followups to comp.os.mach if you've created it locally already,
or news.groups about the general process of newsgroup creation.

--Ed

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (10/25/88)

In article <1296@mailgw.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>If you're interested in seeing comp.os.mach, let me know.  Reply
>to this article and edit the header to reflect your preference,
>and send the result to
>	mach-vote-yes@starbarlounge.cc.umich.edu
>	mach-vote-no@starbarlounge.cc.umich.edu
>depending on which you'd like.

So far the voting is 59 to 2 in just about a day, so I'm comfortable
in asserting that the vote will eventually pass the 100+ vote margin.

Bill Bolosky was kind enough to point out that there's a mach
mailing list run from CMU.  Subscribe by sending mail to
'info-mach-request@cs.cmu.edu', and post to it by sending
to 'info-mach@cs.cmu.edu'.  The newsgroup isn't going to be created
for a while, so if you're serious about mach, join the mailing list.

As I say, vote early, vote often, and if you have good info about
mach save it up so that it will go into the newsgroup (or mail it
to me and I'll save it up).

--Ed

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (10/26/88)

In article <1319@mailgw.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <1296@mailgw.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailgw.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) writes:
>>If you're interested in seeing comp.os.mach, let me know.  Reply
>>to this article and edit the header to reflect your preference,
>>and send the result to
>>	mach-vote-yes@starbarlounge.cc.umich.edu
>>	mach-vote-no@starbarlounge.cc.umich.edu
>>depending on which you'd like.

Progress report: I've been in touch (indirectly so far) with the
Mach people at CMU, and they want to run the list like we do
comp.sys.apollo here at Michigan - namely as a gatewayed mailing
list.  comp.os.mach will not be created except as a gateway to
the mailing list.  Don't create it otherwise.

More info as I have it.

--Ed