[news.groups] proposal for comp.periphs.disks

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (11/07/88)

[I don't want to collect votes, but maybe someone else who agrees that
this is important enough will agree.]

If printers can have their own group, why not disks?
It would be a good place to discuss the new magneto-optical technologies
as well as the flood of cheap St506 drives that everyone in PC-land is
looking for these days.

Also, wouldn't comp.periphs.printers.lasers be a good place for the
laser-lovers inet group to hang out?
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

In article <3502@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>If printers can have their own group, why not disks?

The separate group for laser printers is a combination of historical
accident and the Usenet/Internet split.  On the basis of traffic, there
really is no justification for it.

>It would be a good place to discuss the new magneto-optical technologies
>as well as the flood of cheap St506 drives that everyone in PC-land is
>looking for these days.

When the discussion starts, and starts to get voluminous, this will become
a reasonable idea.  Right now it's just silly.  Comp.periphs is not
exactly a high-volume group; it does not need splitting.

>Also, wouldn't comp.periphs.printers.lasers be a good place for the
>laser-lovers inet group to hang out?

This is what is sometimes called "Dewey Decimal Syndrome", the urge to
classify everything to the tenth decimal place, ignoring such minor
issues as the lack of any need for it.  It ain't broken, don't fix it.
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu