[news.groups] moderator recall

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (11/23/88)

In article <Nov.22.17.14.08.1988.4564@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>There is a discussion starting in rec.humor.d,news.groups, and
>soc.culture.jewish about the possible recall of Brad as moderator of
>rec.humor.funny.

  I think you guys are all targeting the wrong area here. If you really don't
want to see this kind of thing on the net, try flaming the people who sent
the jokes in to Brad in the first place. If rec.humor.funny goes away (or has
its charter changed, or whatever) these same people will still be posting
the material you find objectionable in rec.humor, which is not moderated.
And they might not even bother to rotate it.  It's called attacking the
problem at its source, not at the easiest-to-reach place.
  Note that this argument is independent of whether or not I personally
object to the material in question.

--Greg

dougm@uport.UUCP (Doug Moran) (11/24/88)

Gee, I haven't seen a flame-war this extensive since a man-hating
feminist opined that all men should be killed on a local UC Santa Cruz
news group.

Doug Moran amdcad!uport!dougm

peggy@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Peggy Shambo) (11/25/88)

In article <1029@ncar.ucar.edu> woods@handies.UCAR.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>In article <Nov.22.17.14.08.1988.4564@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>>There is a discussion starting in rec.humor.d,news.groups, and
>>soc.culture.jewish about the possible recall of Brad as moderator of
>>rec.humor.funny.
>
>  I think you guys are all targeting the wrong area here. If you really don't
>want to see this kind of thing on the net, try flaming the people who sent
>the jokes in to Brad in the first place. If rec.humor.funny goes away (or has
>its charter changed, or whatever) these same people will still be posting
>the material you find objectionable in rec.humor, which is not moderated.
>And they might not even bother to rotate it.  It's called attacking the
>problem at its source, not at the easiest-to-reach place.
>  Note that this argument is independent of whether or not I personally
>object to the material in question.

Whether or not Brad has caused ethnic slurs to have passed by him, he
was in charge of the group... he had a responsibililty to set the ROT13,
or to not post the article in the first place.

In addition, he is being charged with using his moderated group leader
status as a money-making proposition, clearly against net ethics.

Do we allow this to continue?

Do we sit back and let it just go on?

Do we pull together and say "hey.. something just ain't right here, fella"?

Do we go out and lynch the guy?

I am clearly not in favor of the things Brad has been up to within
rec.humor.funny.  Does he have a history of this type of thing happening
in the past?  Are these isolated incidents?  (I don't think so, but let's
hear about it.. some of you have been around here long than I)

So far I have seen a lot of accusations and a lot of rationalizing by
Brad re: his actions.  Let's have an adult discussion soon.

Peg Shambo                | The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts
peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com       | working the moment you get up in the morning
                          | and doesn't stop until you get to work.

mikej@cpmain.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (11/25/88)

I think that this recall business has gone far enough. I would just like to
add a few points to the issue.

First off no one is REQUIRED to read the offensive postings much less the
group itself. If one doesn't like the group and has sufficient priveledges to
do so, one can simply rmgroup it from the system. Barring that you could
unsubscribe to the group. Of course you have to press and entire KEY to  do
that in rn...

Barring the above if you should by chance find yourself FORCED to read this
newsgroup I would think that the words "Offensive to [ethnic]" would
be sufficient warning not to read it if these types of jokes get a rise out
of you.

I consider what Mr. Templeton does to be a service to the community at large.
I saves me the work of having to wade through rec.humor with all its followups
etc. Again though let us reconsider what he does: He is simply the moderator.
He doesn't write these jokes. His tastes are his and his alone. No one can
truly say what will or will not offend certain people. Normally, jokes that
he deems offensive are ROT13 however this one seems to have slipped through.
A point he has already apologized for.

I must admit I find many ethnic jokes funny although some DO ( and have)
insulted my heritage. The point here is that these are JUST JOKES! Just
because the moderator thinks it is funny doesn't make him a rascist. I found
that one funny myself. Am I a rascist? Of course you can't answer that because
you don't know me.

So, if I find that joke funny as did Mr. Templeton did, how can you say that
he is a rascist and I am not?

In conclusion , lets not go on a witch hunt. There are more constructive
problems that you can direct your attention to.

ethnic_joke != rascist_person

--
                Michael R. Johnston - @NET: mikej@cpmain.uucp
...{cmcl2!phri!,uunet!}dasys1!cpmain!mikej || ...philabs!mergvax!cpmain!mikej

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (12/02/88)

In article <264@uport.UUCP> dougm@uport.UUCP (Doug Moran) writes:
>Gee, I haven't seen a flame-war this extensive since a man-hating
>feminist opined that all men should be killed on a local UC Santa Cruz
>news group.

Beats being killed on the highway
(what am I doing in this newsgroup anyway? oooh get out before it's
too late.....)

--

Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
" Axis-navigo, ergo sum."