[news.groups] Information on rec.humor.funny + how to get a feed

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Kenneth L. Bartlett) (12/16/88)

How about "alt.humor.funny" for the PG-13 jokes?

No, no, no, I'm being serious.  Would it be hard to set up
a alt.humor.funny that would post all the offensive jokes
from Brad, and let rec.humor.funny be the offense-less group?

				--Ken Bartlett

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (12/17/88)

In article <18963@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Kenneth L. Bartlett) writes:

>How about "alt.humor.funny" for the PG-13 jokes?
>
>No, no, no, I'm being serious.  Would it be hard to set up
>a alt.humor.funny that would post all the offensive jokes
>from Brad, and let rec.humor.funny be the offense-less group?

Trouble is, who defines what is offensive? Until all this brouhaha started,
I didn't think most Jewish jokes were offensive -- after all, most printed
collections of Jewish/Yiddish jokes are compiled by Jews, and just look
at the outpouring of support Brad got from Jewish Netters.

You can make a determination what is offensive and what isn't, and before
you know it, someone comes along and makes a big stink about one of the
jokes you thought harmless.

And putting it into alt.* would not help -- people like JEDR tend to think
that not only must you not offend them in their hearing (or reading in this
case), but also when they are out of earshot (or sight), and they will go
hunt for things that offend them in order to eradicate them. So if watmath does
not carry the alt.humor.funny group, that type of person would go after
whoever did.

We just need to put up with people like that -- they were put there in order
to teach us patience and humility :-) ...
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD