[news.groups] Maybe we should move the debate

gdelong@cvman.UUCP (Gary Delong) (01/14/89)

In article <24500046@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Maybe we should move the debate about proposed license class changes (and
> whether or not the code requirement should be included with them) over to
> a separate automatic mailing list and not on REC.HAM-RADIO newsgroup and
> INFO-HAMS mailing list.  There are a lot of people who either don't care
> about the issue or just don't want to be part of it.
>
> I am willing to run a separate mailing list if enough people would like
> to participate.  It would be open to all regardless of the position they
> take, if any.  Let me know if you would like it to be an open list or a
> moderated one.  I can't say that I would have the time to moderate it,
> though.
>
> E-mail to:  phil@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu  for this topic.
> --phil ka9wgn--

To date I have seen a couple of follow-ups to the above, one indicated
that that is part of ham-radio, another indicated that packet had a
a new group created for it to move that traffic out of general ham-radio
discussions.

I would tend to agree with the idea that the ongoing discussions in
rec.ham-radio on a no-code/yes-code license and of other proposals for
changing the Amateur Radio Licence structure are of such volume that
those discussions might be moved into a dedicated group for those who
are interested to present their viewpoints without filling up rec.ham-radio.

CALL FOR DISCUSSION:

In line with accepted net practices, I would like to call for discussion
the formation of:

           rec.ham-radio.licensing

Discussion might also indicate other possable names and/or guidelines
for such a group.

Althought this is posted to both rec.ham-radio and news.groups, the proper
place for this discussion is (I understand) news.groups.

For readers of the INFO-HAMS mailing list, I will also monitor that for
any discussion which you are unable to post to news.groups and summarize
and re-post that summery to news.groups prior to any call for votes.

--
  _____
 /  \    /   Gary A. Delong, N1BIP	    gdelong@cvman.prime.com
 \____\/     Prime Computer, Inc.	    (603) 622-1260 x 261

gdelong@cvbnet2.UUCP (Gary Delong) (01/19/89)

In article <24500046@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Maybe we should move the debate about proposed license class changes (and
> whether or not the code requirement should be included with them) over to
> a separate automatic mailing list and not on REC.HAM-RADIO newsgroup and
> INFO-HAMS mailing list.  There are a lot of people who either don't care
> about the issue or just don't want to be part of it.
>
> I am willing to run a separate mailing list if enough people would like
> to participate.  It would be open to all regardless of the position they
> take, if any.  Let me know if you would like it to be an open list or a
> moderated one.  I can't say that I would have the time to moderate it,
> though.
>
> E-mail to:  phil@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu  for this topic.
> --phil ka9wgn--

To date I have seen a couple of follow-ups to the above, some have indicated
that it is part of ham-radio, another indicated that packet had a
a new group created for it to move that traffic out of general ham-radio
discussions.  There is also a move to create a mailing list for this
topic, but their have been objections to that.

[...]

[Note: This is a re-post, the first posting was from a leaf node
       with poor conectivity and it didn't seem to make it to most
       sites so I am re-posting.  Apologies to those who've seen it.]

--
  _____