[news.groups] Newsletters

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (01/19/89)

Background
	In several articles, folks have said that they would like to
	have certain newsletters distributed to the net; "ZMAG" and
	"ST Report" have been mentioned.  But support has not been
	unanimous; some say that such postings would clog their
	favorite newsgroup.

	Some of those who favor net postings of newsletters, have
	asked whether they should be posted to one group or the other
	of "comp.sys.atari.8bit" and "comp.sys.atari.st" or to both.

	There is another newsletter that has just come to my attention,
	called "lustletter", and it comes from just down the road from
	me, from the group "London Users of the ST".  One issue has
	been posted, and the posters ask if we want more.

	Our local systems here in Waterloo carry four news groups
	relating to Atari products,

		comp.sources.atari.st
		comp.sys.atari.8bit
		comp.sys.atari.st
		comp.binaries.atari.st

	but there might be more.

Proposal
	Now is the time to form a separate group for the posting of
	related newsletters.  Those who want to recieve them may
	subscribe to that group.  Those who do not, would not
	subscribe.  This suggestion solves the problem of whether
	newsletters should be posted to the 8bit group or the ST
	group.

	Now comes another question.  If the existence of such a new
	group is accepted, what should it be called?  I suggest that
	the name

		comp.sys.atari.newsletters

	be considered.  There is a proceedure for forming new groups,
	and if there is support for the idea, we could have a vote
	to determine whether or not the new group be started.

Any comments?

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca (01/21/89)

In article <2030@water.waterloo.edu>, ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:

> 	Now comes another question.  If the existence of such a new
> 	group is accepted, what should it be called?  I suggest that
> 	the name
>
> 		comp.sys.atari.newsletters
>
> 	be considered.  There is a proceedure for forming new groups,
> 	and if there is support for the idea, we could have a vote
> 	to determine whether or not the new group be started.
>
> Any comments?
>
> --
>     L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
> 	ljdickey@WATDCS.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET
> 	ljdickey@water.UUCP		..!uunet!watmath!water!ljdickey
> 	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

we people of the lustletter argrre full well that there should be a separate
base for this, as then those that want the newsletters can get them.  a separate
base will probably aslo encourage uploads as they will be easy to find...

35002_3025@uwovax.uwo.ca
...a librarian from hell...

wisner@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bill Wisner) (01/22/89)

>	In several articles, folks have said that they would like to
>	have certain newsletters distributed to the net; "ZMAG" and
>	"ST Report" have been mentioned.  But support has not been
>	unanimous; some say that such postings would clog their
>	favorite newsgroup.

Pshaw. It takes but a single keystroke to skip a large article. If these
newsletters are any good, the informational value will outweigh the dreadful
inconvenience.

I say just post them.

Followups to news.groups, unless you're Richard Sexton in which case
followups to /dev/null.