[news.groups] USSR International Computer Club

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (01/21/89)

The newsgroup comp.misc has been discusing the possibility extending
the USENET to the Soviet Union (USSR).   And

In article <24302@apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>Note that the net already has a similar problem, but I don't hear much
>about it. I can type in chapters from _Spycatcher_ or some other work
>that has been censored in Britain under the Official Secrets Act, and
>send it to a newsgroup with world-wide distribution. Any British
>organization that helped "publish" the article would be in violation
>of that same Official Secrets Act (or so I believe).  That's a lot
>worse than "violating export control laws by publishing" in a country
>with guaranteed freedom of the press.
>
>				Peter Desnoyers

The tone of some people's posting on the subject is that there is
no problem with the use of USENET and that posting of various
material can pose no legal problems.

This attitude is most dangerous.  In fact should this sort of
activity continue, it is possible the we have an incident that
could can serious harm to USENET and computer communications.

One of the unstated ground rules of USENET is that most of the
people that count are not truly aware of what USENET really is.
ATT recently had a situation where Senior Executives suddenly
became aware of the "true nature" of USENET.  After a flurry of
meetings and a policy statement and such the only hazards were
alt.sex and talk.flame.

Should a serious connection of USENET to the countries listed in
the US export control act be made and this come to the attention
of either the State Department OR the Department of Justice the
flap could be serious enough to cause all major supporter of
USENET to flinch.

The actions of NSA with respect to crypt provided a chilling
effect on DES and crypt and that was without any network.  Should
the wrong people become aware of the possibility of comp.source.*
and comp.binaries.* leaving the US of A one might find a set of
letters being sent to the various company CEO with discussions
about "criminal prosecution", etc.

The comment about Spycatcher brings up some serious worries about
legal problems: what is legal in the US of A is not legal in
other coutries and vice versa.  Examples are child pornography,
seditious statements, release of software, etc.  We need to be
especially careful after the recent awareness of the
non-technical public of things like the Internet Worm, the Brad
Templeton affair, etc.  It take only one major mistake and the
wrong goverment official deciding to make a Federal case to
destory what we have.

True there is no USENET administration, and nobody responsible.
But would the CEO of the average company not get a little nervous
if s/he were told that their machine was being used, for example
to conduct a dialog on child porn? [Not that it is true but much
of alt.sex is illegal and considered obscene by several states.]

The point is that comp.misc is not the place to discuss the
ramifications on allowing USENET access to the Soviet Union.  Nor
to creating a set of news groups for this purpose.  While there
is nothing that can be done on this anarchic net to prevent
people from doing things that are illegal or destructive to the
future of the net, please realize that your actions and words can
in fact do major damage.

Yes, I am aware of freedom of speech, and all the other arguments
that have circulated endlessly on this subject.  Just please be
aware that despite your own personal beliefs on what the net
should be like, the final disposition is up to non-technical
people with lots of nasty things that they can do.

Moral: one doesn't make nerve gas and terrorist equipment on the
front porch and publicize it in the New York Times.

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (01/22/89)

In article <2393@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>The newsgroup comp.misc has been discusing the possibility extending
>the USENET to the Soviet Union (USSR).   And
>
>In article <24302@apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer@Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>>Note that the net already has a similar problem, but I don't hear much
>>about it. I can type in chapters from _Spycatcher_ or some other work

.. and then goes on to describe how this could be potentially illegal.

>The tone of some people's posting on the subject is that there is
>no problem with the use of USENET and that posting of various
>material can pose no legal problems.
>
>This attitude is most dangerous.  In fact should this sort of
>activity continue, it is possible the we have an incident that
>could can serious harm to USENET and computer communications.

.. and then goes into intimate detail on how dangerous these and other
associated activities are.

.. and predicts the imminent demise of the net.

I sure hope that the history of the net gets published soon AND is required
reading. We'll need sub-chapters on imminent collaspe due to volume;
imminent demise due to illegal activities; imminent collaspe due to over
cross-posting; imminent demise due to boredom of net.deities; imminent
collaspe because a net.deity has been insulted; imminent demise when the
bean counters find out; ........

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen just that it's exceedingly unlikely.
And there are *many* counter-examples from the past few years showing why
not.

For example one predicted problem was "what would happen if the people who
run companies actually knew what UseNet is?". Well there are an awful lot of
small but powerful sites on the net now that are simply a 386 box in
someones basement. There isn't a CEO around here to tell me to turn this
system off (well except for my wife ;-).

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (01/24/89)

In article <2393@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
)The tone of some people's posting on the subject is that there is
)no problem with the use of USENET and that posting of various
)material can pose no legal problems.

	Correct, and the limits of liability of System Admins and
corporations owning the machines in question is still *very* much
in the air.  And with the current stats from UUNET showing traffic
of nearly 55meg this last two *weeks* the question of screening
the material continues to recede from the realm of practicality.

	Some of you have seen my paper on liability for libel on
the net, now probably very out of date.  Things were scary then,
and I havn't seen anything to make me feel that they are better now.
And the question of how to cope with the problem is even thornier,
to the point where, short of a (literal) act of congress there *is*
no solution.

)This attitude is most dangerous.  In fact should this sort of
)activity continue, it is possible the we have an incident that
)could can serious harm to USENET and computer communications.

	You said a mouthful.  One person, with a reasonably
hot flame in hand and more money than sense, could do a terrible
amount of damage to the net as it exists today.  I know *I* would
hate to see that happen, there is a huge potential here for a
benefit to society.  But I also know that there are people out there
who disagree...

)[Not that it is true but much of alt.sex is illegal and considered
)obscene by several states.]

	Can you provide evidence to back this up, both parts?  I just
recently looked into alt.sex for the first time since its creation,
and havn't seen anything that would be either (though the obscene
part is admittedly *very* much open to debate.)  But I haven't seen
anything that could be construed as illegal per se...

)=Dennis L. Mumaugh

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
SCA event list? Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (01/26/89)

In article <5735@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
(D. W. James) writes:
> In article <2393@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
> )[Not that it is true but much of alt.sex is illegal and considered
> )obscene by several states.]
>
> 	Can you provide evidence to back this up, both parts?  I just
> recently looked into alt.sex for the first time since its creation,
> and havn't seen anything that would be either (though the obscene
> part is admittedly *very* much open to debate.)  But I haven't seen
> anything that could be construed as illegal per se...

My comment was in reference to several things.  It is illegal to
allow persons under 18 access to "pornography".  Hence, per se,
alt.sex is "illegal" if a person under 18 has access.  Datum: how
many University undergraduates are under 18?  How many university
machines that support the undergraduate comp sci 1A have alt.sex?

The US of A has laws prohibiting "pornography" involving
"children" under 18.  This has been construed [in one case] to
include a father taking the picture of his 18 month old child in
the nude.  Hence, if an article on alt.sex talks about two
teenagers boinking that can be construed to be illegal per se.

Also, some states consider various explicit descriptions
"illegal".  Also, Canada has some rather harsh laws regarding
importation of "obscene material".  In this sense alt.sex could
be so considered.

Then of course, there is the S&M digest. {It IS rot13 but that's
a minor point}.

Some countries have laws that prohibit encyphered communications.
Technically rot13 is a cipher.

Of course, none of the above has ever met a recent court
challenge and "Free Speech" considerations are very much
involved.  The point is that only one crusading States Attorney
or southren[sic] High Sheriff[sic] is all that is required to
make a stink.
--

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (01/27/89)

In article <2421@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>My comment was in reference to several things.  It is illegal to
>allow persons under 18 access to "pornography".  Hence, per se,
>alt.sex is "illegal" if a person under 18 has access.  Datum: how
>many University undergraduates are under 18?  How many university
>machines that support the undergraduate comp sci 1A have alt.sex?

There is a missing assumption which you're making, but not stating,
to make your argument consistent.  That is, you must also assert that
alt.sex is "pornography" -- this has a much more restrictive definition
than "obscenity".

>The US of A has laws prohibiting "pornography" involving
>"children" under 18.  This has been construed [in one case] to
>include a father taking the picture of his 18 month old child in
>the nude.  Hence, if an article on alt.sex talks about two
>teenagers boinking that can be construed to be illegal per se.

Another "undistributed middle".  The first point discusses an action
(taking a picture) though the decision in question was bogus.  The
second point refers to speech.  What's this "hence" business.  What do
your first two sentences have to do with the third?

>Also, some states consider various explicit descriptions
>"illegal".  Also, Canada has some rather harsh laws regarding
>importation of "obscene material".  In this sense alt.sex could
>be so considered.

Well, maybe.  That's why it's an alt group.  Sites are expected to
choose, individually, which alt groups they will accept and pass.
If alt.sex is a problem in country X, it is up to news sites in country
X not to import it.

>Some countries have laws that prohibit encyphered communications.
>Technically rot13 is a cipher.

Oh, foo.  The prohibitions refer to attempts to prevent the government
spooks from reading messages if they wish.  Rot13 messages essentially
come with documentation about how to read the messages.  They aren't
in violation of rules like this, except in the sense that ASCII text is
a violation (guess what: ASCII is a code.  rot13 is a code in the exact
same sense -- it just gives the characters different names).

>Of course, none of the above has ever met a recent court
>challenge and "Free Speech" considerations are very much
>involved.  The point is that only one crusading States Attorney
>or southren[sic] High Sheriff[sic] is all that is required to
>make a stink.

So we should censor ourselves lest we be censored?  What's the point?
If you don't want a newsgroup on your machine, request that your news
feed not send it to you.

In practice, Usenet as a whole is in legal limbo.  We don't know if it's
a broadcaster or a common carrier, we don't know if it's like speaking or
publishing, we don't know what the rules really are.  (Anyone who thinks
they do know: please refer me to the court decison where it's been
declared officially).
--
- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, or uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck,
		or jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net for old Arpa sites

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (01/28/89)

In article <2421@cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm@cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:

>     Also, Canada has some rather harsh laws regarding
>importation of "obscene material".  In this sense alt.sex could
>be so considered.

Probably no harsher than yours - even Hustler gets in nowadays with
nary a blink.
--
Chris Lewis, Markham, Ontario, Canada
{uunet!attcan,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

sbelcas@hvrunix.UUCP (Sarah Belcastro) (01/31/89)

In reference to the question as to how many universities received
alt.sex, i volunteer that Haverford gets no alt. groups.  I wish we did.

				--sarah marie belcastro.

			Bitnet: (PLEASE!!)  s_belcastro@hvrford

jmdoyle@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jennifer Mary Doyle) (02/01/89)

In article <504@hvrunix.UUCP> sbelcas@hvrunix.UUCP (Sarah Belcastro) writes:
>In reference to the question as to how many universities received
>alt.sex, i volunteer that Haverford gets no alt. groups.  I wish we did.
>				--sarah marie belcastro.
>			Bitnet: (PLEASE!!)  s_belcastro@hvrford
At Princeton, we get all the alt. groups. A few of them are even worth
having. :-)

Jen      p.s. Hi Sarah! Visiting from misc.kids?

--
        It`s nice to know that when the whole world seems crazy,
        you have friends who make it seem sane in comparison. -Me

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/06/89)

    I was just told that this newsgroup was conversing about the
    ICC.  Unfortunatly, the articles have expired on this
    machine.  Can someone send me email on what went on here?
    Or, if some one has the articles archived could they pass
    them on??
	     Thanks,
	       Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108