[news.groups] rec.humor.funny hostage issue

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (02/06/89)

In article <2714@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> So I decided to affirm that the group is mine, and that I control it,
> and that if somebody wanted to charge money for reading it, I have it in
> my authority to control that, too.  So I have affirmed my compilation
> copyright(*) in the group, and said all free usenet sites can carry it, and
> that other sites have to ask.  I have also said that just about anybody

This has got to be one of the most outrageous things I have ever read on
USENET.  I do not read rec.humor.funny, but apparently people find it
a valuable resource.  That's great.  What's not great is that people
are now being held hostage by the perceived value of the group.

I'm sure it is true that Mr. Templeton has put much time and effort into
moderating rec.humor.funny, but so have other moderators with their
respective groups.  It's no excuse for him to suddenly claim ownership
of the group and dictate who can and cannot receive it.

Brad Templeton may have done a bang-up job moderating the newsgroup in
the past, but he seems to be losing touch now.  For his sake and for
the sake of the group, I believe that he should be relieved of the
responsibility as soon as possible.  I'm convinced that there are many
people that are ready, willing and able to do as good a job as Brad has
done, with much less controversy and emotional trauma.

--
Greg Paris <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,garp,gatech,necntc,spdcc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (02/06/89)

"Hostage?" and in other people's postings "penalize," "censor", "sue" and
"restrict"

Where do you people get off using these words?  I'm really sorry about how
misconstrued my words have been in this affair.  I never expected such
gross misrepresentations.

"hostage?"  "censor?"  Do you people know what these terms mean?

I have sweated blood to give people a group they enjoy.  My name is now
recorded forever in newspaper databases as linked with heavy-duty racism
because of it.   And all you people can talk about is the kind service you
have done me by propagating the group out to other net sites.  And in the
next breath you ask me how I DARE suggest that I might refuse the use of
this kind service to certain sites.

Well, thanks for all the kind service, folks, but don't do me any favours.
If you don't want to propagate this group to other netters because you don't
like the rules for it then don't propagate it.  I'm not forcing you.

If you're really upset, start your own moderated group.  This has always
been possible.
------
Now, for the rest of you who have expressed legitimate concerns, let me
assure you that I will do all that I can to counter any fears you have of
problems.

For one, let me assure you that nobody will ever be capable of unknowing
infringement of this copyright on the net.  IF I ever excercise the right of
control, it would only be on somebody who was explicitly asked not to feed
the group, and refused (or refused to answer).  If I ever do ask!

Let me also assure that I have no intention of bothering any site over money
that is what we would call a USENET site, even Portal, based on descriptions I
have received of it.

Let me assure you that my current intention is that as far as USENET is
concerned, the group isn't going to be run one *whit* differently from the
way it is now.  So what's all the attacking?

Some of you feel that the compilation copyright concept can't apply to a
moderated group.  If this is you, PLEASE stop the complaining.  If it
doesn't apply, then *I'm* the one who has to test it, and I'm the one who
would lose big bucks doing so, if I ever did.  And I don't see why I should
have to test it.

I'll put all this in the monthly posting, if you want it to get longer!
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473