[news.groups] OFFICIAL CALL FOR DISCUSSION - Removal of rec.humor.funny or moderator?

In article <2724@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Well, folks, if that's the way you want it, it looks like you are going to
>win.  Rec.humor.funny will be removed from conventional usenet.

Temporarially, until and unless someone proposes that it be re-created with
a new moderator (someone who volunteers, doesn't mind a little heat, and has
the fortitude to stick it out [Hi learn :-]).

>Unless a good compromise solution can be attained.   Here are the concerns
>of mine that must be addressed:
>
>1) If members of a site, in response to getting the group for free, do nothing
>but attack it and me, particularly in the press with libel and
>misrepresentation, then I need:
>	A) Legal protection that ensures nobody complains that they were
>	offended without deliberately subscribing and/or decrypting
>	B) The right to say, "if all you're going to do is waste my time
>	complaining about how you don't like what you're getting for free,
>	then you're not getting it any more."

No.  You need to use your legal capabilities to address the libel that has
occurred.   I support you in your fight to sue the media if they libelled
you; there's no excuse for that behavior and it deserves a just reward.  When
you go beyond that you're taking revenge, and that is wrong.  Rot-13ing the
questionable postings takes care of "A", IF you do it consistantly.  If you
mess up, you deserve the consequences; it's that simple.  We're adults here --
we can take responsibility for our own mistakes.

As for item "B", I do not agree with you that you have that right.  Remember,
you're not God of rec.humor.funny, but merely a custodian.  You can be
replaced, and the group can go on.  If I wasn't as busy as I am, I'd offer
to take it over.  Unfortunately I couldn't devote the time to it that it
needs (I don't even have a free half-hour per day at present; running this
vote is going to tax my free time immensely as it is).

The problem with "B" is that the determination of who's in the "bad" group is
completely arbitrary and subject to your decision and whim.  U of Waterloo
is a good example - did EVERY USENET USER assault you?  No, it was a couple
of individuals.  Stanford is another example.  For this you took and are
taking revenge on the entire community of users there.  I'm sure they all
thanked you.  DOING THIS IS WRONG.

>2) If the newsgroup is to be picked up by Compuserve/Source/Genie/Delphi/Bix
>or similar organizations that sell access to electronic services for either
>an hourly fee >$3 or a large enough monthly fee to large numbers of readers,
>then *I'm* the one that arranges the link, and *I'm* the one who is the official
>moderator on that service.  (From the descriptions of Portal I have read,
>they don't seem to be a problem.)

I don't see how you could say that.  I bet Portal's users are on an average
of only a few hours a month (otherwise they'd go broke; works the same way
PC Persuit does, you see...); thus the real average cost/hour might surprise
you.  They DO have a large number of subscribers.  How about The Well -- pay
per hour, and from what I hear they have several _thousand_ subscribers?

I don't like the precedent here, and personally I think it's bad for the
network as a whole to permit this.  It sets the stage for both raw
commercialization of the entire network as well as regulation (with one
comes the other, as we all know).

I also do not acknowledge your claim of a right to take these actions; in
fact, I specifically assert that you don't have those "rights" on the
regular Usenet.

If you want to set up your own top-level hierarchy, and invite only those
people you want present, then I have no problem with your actions.  That
will take conscious action on each admin's part to implement, just as does
the "biz" distribution (in which commercial ads are posted).  But get the
group out of rec.*

>3) I am legit in making the annual jokebook, and its compilation copyright
>is OK.

I don't have a problem with this, although some others do.  Now, if you
start selling those books for $50 each you might have a beef with the net at
large.  In this event, though, it's a problem that can be dealt with by
copyrighting submissions to r.h.f properly (ie: free electronic redistribution
only is allowed, ala rec.mag.otherrealms).

>If somebody can think of another method to address these needs, that would
>be fine.  But they are real needs, and they can't be ignored by me.
>*CAN'T*.

If you are immovable on these points, I'm afraid I have to be immovable in
my position as well.  Whether the vote wins or loses, r.h.f will have to come
off our machines.  We simply can't expose ourselves or our downstream sites
to that kind of liability, nor do we want to support your position on these
points -- and our only means of expressing disapproval at that point would
be to disassociate the group from our machines.

Btw: I read r.h.f -- and like it.  I would miss the group.  But I am also
     confident that someone else would take it over, or shortly propose it's
     recreation with a different moderator (like a phoenix?)  The principles
     here are too valuable to the network as a whole to allow them to be
     trampled on so you can have an easier time of it as a moderator, and
     perhaps get rich someday on your unknowing r.h.f submitting "pawns".

>So if you want to hold a vote on the matter, then either you lose because
>you don't get 100 more removal votes than keep votes (that was the criterion
>other people established during the last such debate.) or you lose because
>rec.humor.funny leaves usenet.   Maybe you don't think of that as losing, but
>if you don't, then it will be just as well -- if people don't think the loss
>of RHF would be a loss to usenet, then what am I doing here?
>Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

No, Brad, that's not quite true.  And if you assert that r.h.f is _truly_
yours, and we can't use the name after replacing you with a different
moderator....... I suspect that the net will show you to be wrong there too.

Rec.humor.funny is a newsgroup.  You are the _current_ moderator.  You are
replacable, whether you want to admit it or not.  The group can and probably
will go on in a moderated fashion one way or another.  After all, the net
does need some decent humor.

This is discussion time.  The VOTE starts in 10 days or so; if we have a
replacement moderator who is (a) well enough connected and STABLE enough to
take over, and (b) the people can live with, and (c) wants the job then
perhaps the question on the ballot will be "Shall we remove Brad Templeton
from moderating r.h.f and appoint <insert fav. net.person> in his stead"
rather than the more mundane "Shall we remove r.h.f.".

Note that standard backbone moderator files will do the rest of the work
should the vote be to replace Brad and replace him/her with someone else.

In either case the vote must carry by 100 more YES than NO tallies, that is
established.  The default action, as always, is to do nothing.

As I see it, the questions at this time are:

1) Is a compilation copyright on the electronic distribution in Usenet
   to be considered "ok" by the net at large when the purpose is
   not solely to prohibit profiteering?  (Alt.gourmand's copyright is to the
   Usenet Community Trust; you can't count this one as a problem.  Chuq's
   policy was stated and OK'd at the time of the newsgroup creation.  You're
   changing the rules mid-stream.)

	I have no problem with Copyrighting things on the network as long as
	the primary purpose is to prevent someone else from selling your
	work as theirs.  This covers shareware (but not "begware"; a notice
	asking for a donation is ok as long as it's not harassing me!),
	Copylefted packages and PD items.  As an example, I've posted a
	"chat" program to the net with a "Redistribution in whole
	not-for-profit is permitted, leave the copyright notices alone"
	copyright notice.  That pretty much covers people claiming my work
	is theirs, and is nice and simple.

2) Can a moderator assert control over the distribution of a newsgroup?
   Is there any justifyable cause for this type of action?

	I maintain that there is no right to this action.  A moderator is
	not a "god" or "lord" of a newsgroup.  That's not the moderator's
	purpose.  Besides being totally arbitrary this is also censorship in
	action and can even be considered borderline discrimination in some
	cases (beware this trap Brad!).  I do not believe that a moderator has
	any right of ownership to the group or it's name anymore than Ronald
	Reagan can still claim to be the "President".

3) Is a moderator personally responsible for what they do?

	Of course!  Aren't we all supposed to be?  A person who takes on a
	controversial moderator position should expect some heat.  If you
	don't like the warmth, get your feet out of the fireplace!

4) Should a moderator be allowed to demand or collect compensation from
   network sites (whether officially "Usenet" sites or not -- there's no
   good definition of what a "Usenet" site is!) under any circumstances, and
   furthermore refuse distribution (or sue) that site if the "fee" is not paid?

	I believe that if the net allows this precedent, we're in real
	trouble.  It'll start with commercialization of parts of the network
	-- not just outside regular Usenet (like on 'biz') where these
	activities are relished and desired, but on the "normal" Usenet as
	well.  Next will come government regulation, REAL lawsuits, you name
	it.  The network will be radically changed; many sites will
	disconnect due to the liability problems with determining whether
	their downstream sites can/cannot receive groups, r.h.f will be gone
	in any event, and if you ask me all this change will not be for the
	better.

	Brad has asserted the right not only to use these jokes on Usenet,
	but _ALSO_ on any other electronic network.  This means that Brad
	could set up a commercial system and start a pay-per-joke BBS --
	or a SIG on CI$ -- with r.h.f submissions -- and be within his
	declared "rights".  Is this ok with the net at large?  I'd have a
	problem with this if I was submitting a joke; the possibilities for
	abuse are real and should be of concern.

Let's try to keep the discussion rational, folks.  I'd like a solution to
this problem rather than a flame war with no outcome or rational discussion,
but in the end, I prefer to lose Brad Templeton as a moderator or even
rec.humor.funny as a group than to permit this twisting of the network's
"code of honor" to be left unchallenged.

Make your opinions known, the vote will be taken soon!

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"