[net.news.group] Wanted: net.micro.xenix

west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) (03/25/86)

In article <950@rlgvax.UUCP> dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:

>How about a new group "net.micro.xenix" for Xenix 286/System 5 for
>the PC/AT?  The problem with net.micro.pc, is that its full of
>stuff for pc/mdos machines.

It seems to me that Xenix is adequately covered in the several
groups where Unix is discussed (net.unix, net.unix.wizards, etc.).
(And even if there were to be a net.micro.xenix, why limit it to
Xenix on the PC/AT?  More people run Xenix on Tandy and Altos
machines than on AT's!)

Steve Westfall		      uucp:    ihnp4!gargoyle!west
Univ. of Chicago
Graduate School of Business

gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (03/27/86)

west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
> In article <950@rlgvax.UUCP> dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:
> >
> >How about a new group "net.micro.xenix" for Xenix 286/System 5 for
> >the PC/AT?  The problem with net.micro.pc, is that its full of
> >stuff for pc/mdos machines.
>
> It seems to me that Xenix is adequately covered in the several
> groups where Unix is discussed (net.unix, net.unix.wizards, etc.).
> (And even if there were to be a net.micro.xenix, why limit it to
> Xenix on the PC/AT?  More people run Xenix on Tandy and Altos
> machines than on AT's!)

I think that the UNIX world has become divided into two camps, with
different interests, those that run UNIX on multi-user machines, and
those that run UNIX on single-user or personal machines. (Where the
definition of "single-user" is modified to include, say, 1-4 user machines).

I also think that many MS-DOS users who might be tempted to try UNIX,
are put off by the level of discussion in net.unix and net.unix-wizards.

I would like to see a group "net.micro.unix" created (NOT net.micro.xenix).
The groups charter would be for and about uses of all versions of UNIX
on single user computers.  I think that the breadth of machines and
UNIX ports which this group would justify its existance.  Some of the
machines that I think fit into this category are: IBM PC/AT, Tandy,
AT&T PC6300+, AT&T UNIX PC, DEC PRO.  Some of the UNIX ports that fit are:
MS-Xenix (3 or SVR2), SCO-Xenix, Venix (2 or SVR2), AT&T OS-Merge,
AT&T UNIX SVR2.

I am personally opposed to moderated groups, as I rarely have the time
to dig thru the accumulations, although I am able to find time to read
the news a few articles at a time, between compiles.  However,
if the creation of this group hinges upon it being a moderated group
(mod.micro.unix), I would be willing to moderate it.

Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc. (201) 922-1134
..!ihnp4!houxm!castor!{rer,pcrat!rer} <--Replies to here, not to homxb!!!

mike@rlgvax.UUCP (Mike Shaffer) (03/31/86)

> west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
> > In article <950@rlgvax.UUCP> dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:
> > >
> > >How about a new group "net.micro.xenix" for Xenix 286/System 5 for
> > >the PC/AT?  The problem with net.micro.pc, is that its full of
> > >stuff for pc/mdos machines.
> >
> > It seems to me that Xenix is adequately covered in the several
> > groups where Unix is discussed (net.unix, net.unix.wizards, etc.).
> > (And even if there were to be a net.micro.xenix, why limit it to
> > Xenix on the PC/AT?  More people run Xenix on Tandy and Altos
> > machines than on AT's!)
>
> I think that the UNIX world has become divided into two camps, with
> different interests, those that run UNIX on multi-user machines, and
> those that run UNIX on single-user or personal machines. (Where the
> definition of "single-user" is modified to include, say, 1-4 user machines).
>
> I also think that many MS-DOS users who might be tempted to try UNIX,
> are put off by the level of discussion in net.unix and net.unix-wizards.
>
> I would like to see a group "net.micro.unix" created (NOT net.micro.xenix).
> The groups charter would be for and about uses of all versions of UNIX
> on single user computers.  I think that the breadth of machines and
> UNIX ports which this group would justify its existance.  Some of the
> machines that I think fit into this category are: IBM PC/AT, Tandy,
> AT&T PC6300+, AT&T UNIX PC, DEC PRO.  Some of the UNIX ports that fit are:
> MS-Xenix (3 or SVR2), SCO-Xenix, Venix (2 or SVR2), AT&T OS-Merge,
> AT&T UNIX SVR2.
>
> I am personally opposed to moderated groups, as I rarely have the time
> to dig thru the accumulations, although I am able to find time to read
> the news a few articles at a time, between compiles.  However,
> if the creation of this group hinges upon it being a moderated group
> (mod.micro.unix), I would be willing to moderate it.

Now here is a man with a head on his shoulders. I agree that a net.micro.unix
would make sense as it would attract a broader range of discussions. Who knows
maybe someone like me will find an alternative to Xenix (hope springs eternal).

Mike Shaffer, CCI Reston Va.
Not sure how you get here but: ..rlgvax!mike
Not even sure how I got here.

chad@anasazi.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) (03/31/86)

In article <1349@homxb.UUCP> gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>I would like to see a group "net.micro.unix" created (NOT net.micro.xenix).
>The groups charter would be for and about uses of all versions of UNIX
>on single user computers...

I would also like to see such a group (as per my previous posting).
Our company currently has 10 machines in that catagory, and the list
is growing.
	-crl
--
"It's not the years, it's the mileage!"
	-Indiana Jones

jmturn@lmi-angel.UUCP (James Turner) (04/03/86)

In article <> gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
>> In article <950@rlgvax.UUCP> dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis Bednar) writes:
>> >
>> >How about a new group "net.micro.xenix" for Xenix 286/System 5 for
>> >the PC/AT?  The problem with net.micro.pc, is that its full of
>> >stuff for pc/mdos machines.
>I would like to see a group "net.micro.unix" created (NOT net.micro.xenix).
>The groups charter would be for and about uses of all versions of UNIX
>on single user computers.  I think that the breadth of machines and
>UNIX ports which this group would justify its existance.  Some of the
>machines that I think fit into this category are: IBM PC/AT, Tandy,
>AT&T PC6300+, AT&T UNIX PC, DEC PRO.  Some of the UNIX ports that fit are:
>MS-Xenix (3 or SVR2), SCO-Xenix, Venix (2 or SVR2), AT&T OS-Merge,
>AT&T UNIX SVR2.

There are some of us out there who are still running Xenix 2.3 (V7), and
have no interest in updating to S3 or S5. All the discussion about this new
list seems to center on the USG look-alike versions of *nix, I'd just
like to put in a word for the old guard.

--

James

Helping Computers With Speech Impediments
LISP Machine, Inc.

{harvard|cca|mit-eddie}!lmi-angel!jmturn

mab@mtx5c.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (04/08/86)

> In article <1349@homxb.UUCP> gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
> >I would like to see a group "net.micro.unix" created (NOT net.micro.xenix).
> >The groups charter would be for and about uses of all versions of UNIX
> >on single user computers...
>
> I would also like to see such a group (as per my previous posting).
> Our company currently has 10 machines in that catagory, and the list
> is growing.
> 	-crl
> --
> "It's not the years, it's the mileage!"
> 	-Indiana Jones
> UUCP:    {mot!terak}!anasazi!chad               Voice: Hey, Chad!
> Ma Bell: (602) 870-3330                         ICBM:  N33deg,33min
> Surface: International Anasazi, Inc.                   W112deg,03min
>          7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive
>          Suit 120
>          Phoenix, AZ 85020

	I second the motion, Unix/Xenix support is hard to get from many
vendors.  The knowledge of the net is better than that of many small vendors.
Lets have net.micro.unix for all versions of UNIX.

	The above is my opinion and my employer beleives in free speech,...
--
Michael Brochstein      AT&T Information Systems, Middletown, NJ
ihnp4!mtx5d!mtx5c!mab   (201) 957-1764

west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) (04/10/86)

In article <12@lmi-angel.UUCP> jmturn@lmi-angel.UUCP (James Turner) writes:

>In article <> gemini@homxb.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>>west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:

>>I would like to see a group "net.micro.unix" created (NOT net.micro.xenix).
>>The groups charter would be for and about uses of all versions of UNIX
>>on single user computers.  I think that the breadth of machines and
>>UNIX ports which this group would justify its existance.  Some of the
>>machines that I think fit into this category are: IBM PC/AT, Tandy,
>>AT&T PC6300+, AT&T UNIX PC, DEC PRO.  Some of the UNIX ports that fit are:
>>MS-Xenix (3 or SVR2), SCO-Xenix, Venix (2 or SVR2), AT&T OS-Merge,
>>AT&T UNIX SVR2.
>
>James
>
>Helping Computers With Speech Impediments
>LISP Machine, Inc.
>
>{harvard|cca|mit-eddie}!lmi-angel!jmturn

I just want to point out that, while I did post something
a while back regarding the proposed net.micro.xenix,
I did not write A SINGLE WORD from the verbage which James
Turner quotes above.  Please be a little more careful about
using those "in article xxx so-and-so writes" lines that are
automatically supplied by postnews!

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless @ Imperial Propoganda) (04/30/86)

> 	I second the motion, Unix/Xenix support is hard to get from many
> vendors.  The knowledge of the net is better than that of many small vendors.
> Lets have net.micro.unix for all versions of UNIX.
>
> ihnp4!mtx5d!mtx5c!mab   (201) 957-1764

I third the motion.  I've done a lot of work on micros, systems
that aren't my usenet feed.  How many times I've fought bringing
up some feature on a machine that the company support people
can't answer me on.  Some of the questions have been too basic
and too related to the quirky micro companies to pester
net.unix-wizards about, and surely are too specific for
net.unix.  The systems aren't by any company that seems to
have their own support group on the net, so I'm stuck, floundering
on my own.

			{dual,lll-crg,ucbvax}!ucdavis!vega!ccrdave