[news.groups] comp.andrew -- Apology & Explanation

nsb+@andrew.cmu.edu (Nathaniel Borenstein) (02/12/89)

Apparently I inadevertently violated the standard protocol for newsgroup
creation.  I am sincerely sorry about this -- my only excuse is that it has been
years since I have had the time to actually subscribe to news.groups, and I was
remembering incorrectly.

What I left out, of course, was the two week discussion period prior to a vote.
I'd like to formally ask that such discussion begin now.  In two weeks, if
necessary, I will take a new vote.  Frankly, I don't really think a new vote
should be necessary, but that is a valid topic for the two weeks of discussion.

The reason I don't think that a new vote is really necessary is that the new
newsgroup seems to be quite noncontroversial.  After two days, the vote is
running 75 for and 3 against.  The 3 "against" votes had three different
reasons, each of which is easily answered here:

1.  I violated "netiquette" by not having a discussion period.  As I said, I
apologize for that, and am trying to rectify it now.

2.  We should try a mailing list first.  Answer:  we have already done so, it
has hundreds of people on it, and many of them have been asking for a newsgroup.

3.  Andrew is so little-discussed on comp.windows.x that there is obviously
little interest in it.  This is misleading because the active Andrew discussion
goes on in other forums -- there are distribution lists for general Andrew
information, information about the Andrew Message System, Andrew demos, and so
on.  As it turns out, there is definitely LOTS of interest in Andrew.  Sevral
vendors are interested in basing products on Andrew; the latest person to fly to
Pittsburgh to learn more about Andrew was Steve Jobs, the day before yesterday...

Some other questions that have come up deserve answering:

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.news.groups: 10-Feb-89 Re: Newsgroup vote: comp.an.. Ed*
> *Vielmetti@a.cc.umich. (366)*
> For point of reference, it's usual to put new newsgroups into an existing
> place in the hierarchy.  Reasonable groups might be comp.windows.andrew
> (andrew tool kit) & comp.protocols.afs (andrew file system, by analogy
> with comp.protocols.nfs).
The problem with this idea is that Andrew was designed as an integrated system.
The Andrew Message System, in particular, spans several of these groups (yes, we
could have comp.mail.andrew, too), as do other likely future Andrew
applications.  Moreover, although the volume of interest in Andrew is, I
believe, currently enough to justify one newsgroup, I'm not sure it is ready for
several.  Eventually, I would think it reasonable that one might have subgroups
of comp.andrew.

One thing that is probably not well-understood is that the whole point of the
Andrew project is integration.  The complete Andrew environment, as running at
CMU and a few other sites (most sites only run parts of Andrew), integrates lots
of different machine types, from UNIX workstations to PC's and Macintoshes, on a
single nationwide file system and a vast set of shared bulletin boards, etc.
The reason you don't see a lot about them on netnews is, frankly, that we have
better tools available for such discussions.  However, as more and more
poorly-connected sites run partial versions of Andrew, a newsgroup is coming to
seem more desirable.

Anyway, since integration is the whole point of Andrew, breaking it up into lots
of newsgroups at different points in the tree, as Ed suggests, is not really
appropriate.  I'd really hate to see it go this way, as there would be a lot of
things that fell through the cracks.

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.news.groups: 10-Feb-89 Re: Addendum on andrew news..*
> *Bill Janssen@titan.sw.mc (238)*
> Hey!  We want multi-media in the newsgroup!
Several other Andrew users besides Bill have asked me about this.  In fact, I
had a nice set of discussions on this topic with Eric Fair, Mark Horton, and
others at the Dallas USENIX in 1988.  It turns out that it really wouldn't be
very hard to have a gradual transition to make multimedia netnews a reality for
those sites that support it.  (Sites running the older netnews software would
get the "A picture appeared here" blurbs like you see in my signature file on
this post.)  However, there is not currently anyone working on integrating
Andrew-style multimedia messages into standard netnews software.  A good place
to discuss exactly how this could be done, I believe, would be on the proposed
comp.andrew newsgroup.

I hope this has cleared some things up.  I look forward to the discussion on the
creation of comp.andrew, and if there is a serious need to do so, I will conduct
another vote in two weeks.

                   Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb+@andrew.cmu.edu>
                       Manager, Andrew Applications Group
                          Information Technology Center
                           Carnegie-Mellon University
                              Pittsburgh, PA 15213
  [An Andrew ToolKit view (a raster image) was included here, but could not be
 displayed.][An Andrew ToolKit view (an animated drawing) was included here, but
                            could not be displayed.]