[news.groups] The "RN" licence and rec.humor.funny

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (02/06/89)

From my README file for "rn."

			Rn Kit, Version 4.3

		    Copyright (c) 1985, Larry Wall

You may copy the rn kit in whole or in part as long as you don't try to
make money off it, or pretend that you wrote it.

Other than the part I added about wanting to have the power to remove the
group from sites where people are trying to libel me and ruin my life, this
is essentially the same thing I am saying.  (The other difference, a
compilation copyright vs. a software copyright.)

I hope you will now all denounce this evil "rn" program and refuse to
forward it or use it until this viscious, restrictive copyright licence
is removed.  8-)

And thank you, Larry, for a great piece of software and a fine contribution
to the net.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

dave@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer) (02/12/89)

In article <2728@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
 >From my README file for "rn."
 >
 >			Rn Kit, Version 4.3
 >
 >		    Copyright (c) 1985, Larry Wall
 >
 >You may copy the rn kit in whole or in part as long as you don't try to
 >make money off it, or pretend that you wrote it.
 >
 >Other than the part I added about wanting to have the power to remove the
 >group from sites where people are trying to libel me and ruin my life, this
 >is essentially the same thing I am saying.  (The other difference, a
 >compilation copyright vs. a software copyright.)

And that is what I, for one, am objecting to.  (Plus the little bit about
only allowing a site to retain r.h.f for two months -- a restriction that
I can't be sure of not violating.)  However, you didn't restrict it to
people who were trying to libel you -- if you are going to let the
legal Genie out of the lamp, you'd better be precise.

Here is my suggestion for a compilation copyright for r.h.f:

You may copy rec.humor.funny, in whole or in part as long as you don't try to
make money off it, or pretend that you compiled it.

I wouldn't object to that.

   __                     _ _ _              David Messer - Lynx Data Systems
  /  )              /    ' ) ) )                 dave@Lynx.MN.Org  -or-
 /  / __. , __o  __/      / / / _  _   _   _  __     ...{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!