[news.groups] Proposal for new newsgroup comp.dcom.cabling

whna@cgcha.cgch.uucp (Heinz Naef) (02/14/89)

Collecting votes for a new unmoderated newsgroup called comp.dcom.cabling
(and/or eunet.cabling) dealing with the following topics:

 - physical (passive) cabling
   .. general approaches for modern building cabling installation
   .. the structured wiring approach
   .. horizontal vs. vertical distribution
   .. cabling material specifications and products (discussion)
   .. requirements for 'raw' building construction
   .. installation verification (methods)

 - implementing LAN services 'on top of' the cabling
   .. ethernet-compatible services
   .. token ring services
   .. products (discussion)

 - attaching terminals to controllers using the cabling
   .. dumb terminals and terminal servers
   .. IBM 3270-like terminals and controllers
   .. products (discussion)

 - cable management
   .. general approaches and rules
   .. forms based and computerized systems
   .. responsibilities (who does what?)
   .. products (discussion)

 - experiences

A well designed and well dimensioned cabling infrastructure is important,
especially in new modern buildings. The new newsgroup should help to find
optimal solutions.
Your vote, please ...

Heinz Naef, c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1032.5.58, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
  UUCP:     cgch!whna
  Internet: whna%cgch.uucp@uunet.uu.net         Phone: (+41) 61 697 26 75
  BITNET:   whna%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet       Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (02/17/89)

In article <770@cgch.UUCP> whna@cgcha.cgch.uucp (Heinz Naef) writes:

>Collecting votes for a new unmoderated newsgroup called comp.dcom.cabling ...

I'm for the idea. There's a certain degree of cross-posting inevitable, though.

Wouldn't it be better to try posting your discussion to comp.dcom.lans first,
though, to see if it would be neatly incorporated into the already-existent
infrastructure of newsgroups ...

>A well designed and well dimensioned cabling infrastructure is important,
>especially in new modern buildings. The new newsgroup should help to find
>optimal solutions.

Agreed. But I think an effort to make comp.dcom.lans serve a wider purpose
would be first appropriate ...

>Your vote, please ...

No.

>Heinz Naef, c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1032.5.58, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland

-- richard

--
 *                Any excuse will serve a tyrant.      -- Aesop               *