[news.groups] comp.sys.andrew voting biased

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (03/08/89)

In article <oY4h9yy00hYP10ClAH@cs.cmu.edu>,
    rpd@cs.cmu.edu (Richard Draves) writes:

% I don't think the voting will be fair.  Nathaniel  cross-posted this to a
% widely-read Andrew bboard (used for general announcements), giving readers the
% option of automatically sending a yes vote.  However, there wasn't a no vote
% alternative.  (The alternative was not sending a vote at all.)  Just because
% sending a no vote is much more painful for the hundreds/thousands of readers
% of the Andrew bboard, the voting results will be tremendously biased.
%
% I think Nathaniel should discard all votes from the andrew.cmu.edu mail
% domain.
% Rich

I agree with Richard Draves (quoted above).  I hereby publicly rescind
my former Yes vote to comp.sys.andrew on the grounds that the voting
procedure has been biased.  This vote bias tends to leave a poor
impression of CMU folks amongst the net-at-large and is unfortunate.

I have also sent e-mail to rescind my vote and urge others to do the
same.

  rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (03/13/89)

The point is moot.  There now exists a comp.soft-sys.andrew in the
``inet'' distribution.  This can be promoted to ``world'' if someone
wants to continue the vote, or start a new one.  It should be noted
that the current newsgroup does not carry the multimedia messages.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

nsb+@andrew.cmu.edu (Nathaniel Borenstein) (03/13/89)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.news.groups: 8-Mar-89 comp.sys.andrew voting biased*
> *rja@edison.GE.COM (1030)*
> I agree with Richard Draves (quoted above).  I hereby publicly rescind
> my former Yes vote to comp.sys.andrew on the grounds that the voting
> procedure has been biased.  This vote bias tends to leave a poor
> impression of CMU folks amongst the net-at-large and is unfortunate.
I presume from his message that rja read the original Draves complaint but none
of its resolution.  As I made clear at the time, I promptly sent out another
vote that made it equally easy for people to vote NO automatically, and in fact
I did receive several NO votes via this mechanism.

You should be careful, when you've fallen way behind reading news, not to answer
one message until you've seen how many followup messages there already have
been.  You're weeks behind the times on this one, and the problem has long since
been cleared up.

By the way, the vote I conducted was intended to create a group with world
distribution; I'd still like to see an upgrade.

The vote is still going on, and it is still a landslide.  The current vote is
184 to 7; if you take out all CMU responses, whether automatic or not, you still
have a vote of 125 to 2.  Come on, people, this just is NOT a controversial
newsgroup creation, lets stop arguing about it.