[news.groups] comp.sys.andrew: NEW call for votes

nsb+@andrew.cmu.edu (Nathaniel Borenstein) (03/06/89)

This is a NEW call for votes on the creation of a newsgroup for discussing the
Andrew system.  If you voted on the previous vote, you should vote AGAIN for
this new vote.  Remember, if we don't get enough "yes" votes, we don't get a
newsgroup.

There was a lot of debate (on news.groups) about what the newsgroup should be
called.  The four main contenders were "comp.andrew", "comp.sys.andrew",
"comp.env.andrew", and "comp.software.andrew".  (The latter two both involve
creating a new intermediate newsgroup.)  It seems to me that there is the least
opposition to "comp.sys.andrew" so in the interest of harmony, I am proposing
that this be the group's name.  (Although "comp.sys" is mostly hardware now,
there's not really any reason it can't have software systems as well.)

NOTE:  The new comp.sys.andrew newsgroup WILL be gatewayed with the info-andrew
mailing list.

To vote YES on creating comp.sys.andrew, send mail to nsb+yes@andrew.cmu.edu.

To vote NO on creating comp.sys.andrew, send mail to nsb+no@andrew.cmu.edu.

People reading this from the info-andrew mailing list with an Andrew Message
System user interface will be automatically asked whether or not they want to
send a "yes" vote; if you prefer to send a no vote, you may do so by hand.

For those of you who haven't been following the discussion, a brief description
of the Andrew system follows.  For more details, lets wait for the newsgroup's
creation.

Andrew is a joint venture of IBM and CMU to develop the integrated university
software environment of the future.  It is primarily oriented to UNIX
workstations, although parts run on machines as simple as PC's, Macintoshes, and
VMS Vaxes.  There are three main parts to Andrew:

1.  The Andrew File System is a large-scale distributed file system.  Think of
it as NFS scaled WAY up.  It is beginning to be used as what we hope will
eventually be a single nationwide file system for computer science research.
From my machine at home, for example, I can now use "ls" to see files at MIT,
University of Michigan, and a few other sites.

2.  The Andrew Toolkit is a very high lvel user interface toolkit for X11 and
other window systems.  It was recently selected as a "research technology" by
the Open Software Foundation.

3.  The Andrew Message System permits the exchange (even via SMTP through clunky
gateways like the ones to BITNET) of multimedia mail and bulletin board
messages, including raster images, equations, tables, spreadsheets, hierarchical
drawings, animations, and even pianos that actually make sounds.

The Toolkit and Message System have been generously made non-proprietary by IBM,
and are included on the X11R3 tape from MIT.  (You can find it under
contrib/toolkits/andrew, and it is known to run on IBM RT's, Suns, and
MicroVaxes as distributed on the tape.  Since the R3 release, patches have been
made to allow it to run on several other vendors' hardware, notably HP's.)  The
X11R3 release version of Andrew also includes a multimedia text editor, a
configurable graphical system monitoring program, a very nice help program, a
terminal interface (an alternative to xterm), and several other applications.
All three parts of Andrew are being considered in the product plans of several
major vendors.
________________________________
Nathaniel Borenstein
Manager, Andrew Applications Development

rpd@cs.cmu.edu (Richard Draves) (03/07/89)

I don't think the voting will be fair.  Nathaniel  cross-posted this to a
widely-read Andrew bboard (used for general announcements), giving readers the
option of automatically sending a yes vote.  However, there wasn't a no vote
alternative.  (The alternative was not sending a vote at all.)  Just because
sending a no vote is much more painful for the hundreds/thousands of readers of
the Andrew bboard, the voting results will be tremendously biased.

I think Nathaniel should discard all votes from the andrew.cmu.edu mail domain.

Rich

nsb+@andrew.cmu.edu (Nathaniel Borenstein) (03/07/89)

> *Excerpts from mail: 6-Mar-89 Re: comp.sys.andrew: NEW ca.. Richard*
> *Draves@cs.cmu.ed (541)*
> I don't think the voting will be fair.  Nathaniel  cross-posted this to a
> widely-read Andrew bboard (used for general announcements), giving readers the
> option of automatically sending a yes vote.  However, there wasn't a no vote
> alternative.  (The alternative was not sending a vote at all.)  Just because
> sending a no vote is much more painful for the hundreds/thousands of readers of
> the Andrew bboard, the voting results will be tremendously biased.
> I think Nathaniel should discard all votes from the andrew.cmu.edu mail domain.
Sigh...  Apparently nothing I can do is non-controversial.  OK, when I publish
the vote, I will make it clear how many come from which domain.  Meanwhile, I am
cross-posting this to all the same bboards, giving everyone the option of an
automatic "no" vote just as easily as the "yes" vote.

I do, incidentally, have to take exception to the notion that this would have
been "tremendously biased."  I really didn't intend to bias the results, merely
to make it easy for people.  The fact is, it is exceedingly unlikely that ANY
Andrew users are going to vote "no" on this anyway -- not a single one did last
time.  I find it hard to imagine why any regular Andrew user would vote against
having a newsgroup for discussions about Andrew.  But to be fair, I am now
giving them the same automatic option that they had for the "yes" vote -- this
message carries with it an equally easy way to place a "no" vote, and I will
make it clear how many votes came from andrew.cmu.edu when I post the vote
summary.

The reason, by the way, that I posted it on the announcement bboard was that
some of our local users had complained that not everyone here was getting a
chance to vote, because they don't happen to read things like comp.windows.x,
news.groups, or info-andrew.  So I cross-posted it on a local bulletin board; I
really didn't think of myself as stuffing any ballot boxes, and I'll make it
clear where all the votes come from.

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (03/07/89)

In article <0Y4iHny00Uk40pGdsZ@andrew.cmu.edu> nsb+@andrew.cmu.edu (Nathaniel Borenstein) writes:
>I find it hard to imagine why any regular Andrew user would vote against
>having a newsgroup for discussions about Andrew.

  Oh, so you were going to decide FOR them? This has been gone over time and
time again, and recently, too. There are MANY reasons why even someone
interested in the topic could vote against a newsgroup for it.  Maybe they
LIKE having a mailing list instead of a newsgroup.
  To be fair, you have to be fair. You can't make it easier to vote the way
YOU think they should or will than the other way.

--Greg

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (03/17/89)

nsb+@andrew.cmu.edu (Nathaniel Borenstein) said:
-
-The reason, by the way, that I posted it on the announcement bboard was that
-some of our local users had complained that not everyone here was getting a
-chance to vote, because they don't happen to read things like comp.windows.x,
-news.groups, or info-andrew.  So I cross-posted it on a local bulletin board; I
-really didn't think of myself as stuffing any ballot boxes, and I'll make it
-clear where all the votes come from.

Anyone who doesn't read news.groups deserves what they get.

And those people who can and don't read things like comp.windows.x or
info-andrew have no need to vote on comp.sys.andrew.  They obviously don't
care about it, so why bother them with it?

--
David Bedno (The Cat in the Hat), Reachable at:  davidbe@sco.COM  -OR-
.!{uunet,sun,ucbvax!ucscc}!sco!davidbe  -OR-  At home: 408-425-5266

"Well what happened to your old engineers?"

	"We shot them because they were STUPID."