[news.groups] Expansion of rec.humor.funny to other networks

emv@a.cc.umich.edu (Ed Vielmetti) (03/13/89)

Karl, if you want to have Matt run a biz.funny, send out the newgroup
message.  I'll carry it (as long as it's funny, that is.)  --Ed

wisner@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Bill Wisner) (03/13/89)

(Ed Vielmetti)
>Karl, if you want to have Matt run a biz.funny, send out the newgroup
>message.  I'll carry it (as long as it's funny, that is.)  --Ed

But that goes without saying. Ed is just slightly more liberal about what
he'll carry than I am.

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (It glows in the dark) (03/15/89)

In article <9773@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) writes:
^I would oppose the appointment of Matt Crawford as moderator, given his
^stated position to take no account of the potential offensiveness of
^submissions.
^
^  [ ... ]
^
^What we need is someone with a keen sense of humour, but also a sense of
^perspective.
^
^Jonathan Richmond

I nominate Jonathan E. D. Richmond to succeed Brad Templeton as moderator
of rec.humor.funny, should the attempt to remove Templeton prove successful.

					--Ken

(Of COURSE I'm joking, you ninny.)

[since this discussion is also being held in news.groups, I added]
[that group to the Newsgroups: line. I think that way everyone   ]
[can participate in one discussion instead of separate ones...   ]

In article <392@sequoia.UUCP>, dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:

> Over and over, around and around.  Nothing seems to be being said here.
>
> Slowly now.  If there is widespread (as opposed to just loud) dislike of
> the job that Brad is doing, vote with your feet first.  Quit griping about
> how its being done and how evil it is, and propose seriously a new group
> to replace it.  Then get the 100 more yes votes than no votes.  Then, or
> simutaneously, get a moderator.

Something is being done. Karl Denniger (did I spell it right?) has called for
Discussion on replacing Brad as Moderator of rec.humor.funny, votes will be
collected soon.

> But whatever, if you don't show a working alternative first, you don't have
> anything to offer.  If you provide just the same thing with a different
> moderator, there's no incentive for anyone to switch.  But if you honestly
> believe it could be done better, than do it.  Don't just talk about it.

The problem is not with the newsgroup, but with the person moderating it.
He is making commercial use of his position as moderator. So the solution
IS to replace the moderator, not change the group.

> As for the supporters of Brad and his way of running rec.humor.funny, I'd
> actually suggest voting FOR a new group if someone is willing to put the
> effort into it.  Get the choice out there and look it over.  If it's better,
> use it.  And if its not, let it die on the vine.

No. The solution is not to start a new jokes newsgroup. People always seem
to eager to start up a group every time they think of a new subject to
discuss, or if there subject varies in the slightest degree from the main
stream subject of a particular group. Newsgroups are not something that can
be idly created and destroyed. The best solution is to make the existing
newsgroup (in this case rec.humor.funny) work to fulfill your needs.

But in this case (rec.humor.funny) no one has objected with the group itself but
rather with Brad's use of the group to further his own commercial purposes.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
______________|          sparks@corpane.UUCP          | 502/968-5401 thru -5406