[news.groups] Move everything to biz.*

jkg@gatech.edu (Jim Greenlee) (03/20/89)

In article <13703@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>I will now remove rec.humor.funny from it.  You should do so as
>well.  This action is pending a decision by the net to remove
>rec.humor.funny or its moderator.

Please do.

>I would like to open a two week discussion period on the need
>to move rec.humor.funny to biz.all since it is now clearly a
>commercial venture.

Gosh, yes - this is a *great* idea. And while we're at it, let's move
all these other *blatantly* *commercial* groups to the biz hierarchy
as well:

comp.binaries.amiga       comp.binaries.apple2      comp.binaries.atari.st
comp.binaries.hypercard   comp.binaries.ibm.pc      comp.binaries.mac
comp.hypercube            comp.newprod              comp.os.aos
comp.os.cpm               comp.os.cpm.amethyst      comp.os.eunice
comp.os.minix             comp.os.os9               comp.os.rsts
comp.os.v                 comp.os.vms               comp.os.xinu
comp.protocols.appletalk  comp.protocols.ibm        comp.protocols.nfs
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibm comp.sources.mac          comp.sys.amiga
comp.sys.apollo           comp.sys.apple            comp.sys.atari
comp.sys.att              comp.sys.cbm              comp.sys.cdc
comp.sys.dec              comp.sys.encore           comp.sys.hp
comp.sys.ibm.pc           comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest    comp.sys.ibm.pc.rt
comp.sys.intel            comp.sys.intel.ipsc310    comp.sys.m6809
comp.sys.m68k             comp.sys.m68k.pc          comp.sys.mac
comp.sys.mac.hypercard    comp.sys.masscomp         comp.sys.next
comp.sys.northstar        comp.sys.nsc              comp.sys.nsc.32k
comp.sys.proteon          comp.sys.pyramid          comp.sys.ridge
comp.sys.sequent          comp.sys.sgi              comp.sys.sun
comp.sys.tahoe            comp.sys.tandy            comp.sys.ti
comp.sys.ti.explorer      comp.sys.transputer       comp.sys.xerox
comp.sys.zenith           comp.sys.zenith.z100      comp.terminals.tty5620
comp.unix.aux             comp.unix.cray            comp.unix.i386
comp.unix.microport       comp.unix.ultrix          comp.unix.xenix

We cannot allow the free advertising of these companies and their products
to continue (imminent death of the net predicted). Why, I have even seen
requests in these news groups for information on what product to buy for
a particular application. This information, if allowed to propagate, might
cause somebody to buy a specific product from a specific manufacturer,
_thereby enabling that manufacturer to make a profit_ !

Since these groups are being used for commercial purposes, I advocate that
the be moved to biz.*. It is a violation of the Spirit of USENET (whatever
that is) to force the net admins to pay for transmitting articles that are
"clearly a commercial venture".
--
Jim Greenlee - Instructor, School of ICS, Georgia Tech     jkg@gatech.edu

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg
hagvy lbh oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!