[news.groups] Move rec.humor.funny to biz.all

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (03/16/89)

In article <1581@etive.ed.ac.uk> jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>In article <2914@looking.UUCP> funny-request@looking.UUCP writes:
>     Anyway, send in the flames, I'll probably ignore them since
>unfortunately I'm caring less and less about the net these days.
>
>>I will now negotiate and sign contracts with Genie and Delphi.

I am prohibited from allowing anyone to make money from this
system and it has been decided that Brad's actions constitute
making money from this system.

I will now remove rec.humor.funny from it.  You should do so as
well.  This action is pending a decision by the net to remove
rec.humor.funny or its moderator.

I would like to open a two week discussion period on the need
to move rec.humor.funny to biz.all since it is now clearly a
commercial venture.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Cause of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | St. Patricks Day:  Wear white for

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (03/18/89)

[followups to news.groups]

According to jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II):
>I would like to open a two week discussion period on the need
>to move rec.humor.funny to biz.all since it is now clearly a
>commercial venture.

This seems like an eminently reasonable suggestion.

Remember, biz.funny would be a low-volume group, so picking it up long-
distance from uunet or ddsw1 would be a minimal cost.  Thus the objection
"but my feed doesn't carry biz" doesn't hold water.

  Keep the Usenet non-commercial!
    When the call is issued, vote for biz.funny!
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

In article <13703@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>I am prohibited from allowing anyone to make money from this
>system and it has been decided that Brad's actions constitute
>making money from this system...

In what way will the removal of rec.humor.funny from your system reduce
Brad's income?  If the answer is "not at all", how is he making money
from your system?

Do you get paid for administering the system?  If so, are you not making
money from it?

A number of companies have people whose work assignments include keeping
an eye on the net.  Are they making money from it?

Peter Neumann moderates comp.risks as part of his work with ACM SIGSOFT,
work which is undoubtedly at least authorized and quite possibly supported
by his employer.  Is he making money from the net?  Are you going to shut
off comp.risks next?

This is getting just a wee bit ridiculous.  I would be very surprised if
Brad is going to be making gobs of money from gatewaying.  When you compute
the net hourly rate he'll be getting for moderating, I wouldn't be surprised
if it was less than minimum wage.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

news@ivucsb.UUCP (Todd Day) (03/19/89)

In article <13703@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US> jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) writes:
~I am prohibited from allowing anyone to make money from this
~system and it has been decided that Brad's actions constitute
~making money from this system.
~I will now remove rec.humor.funny from it.

Brad is not making any money by SENDING a newsgroup to you.  You are not
paying for rhf, so therefore, Brad is not making any money by *sending*
you that group.

However, he *is* making money by passing stuff that people on your machine
posted to rec.humor.  Therefore, if you want to prevent him from making
money from your machine, you should prohibit posting to rec.humor and not
allow any of your downstream sites to forward rec.humor postings *past*
your machine.

Don't penalize others on your machine by removing rhf - it's free to you
*and* Brad makes no money from your machine.
--
-Todd Day-
Internet: todd%ivucsb.UUCP@anise.acc.com

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (03/19/89)

In article <1989Mar17.174548.979@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Brad is going to be making gobs of money from gatewaying.  When you compute
>the net hourly rate he'll be getting for moderating, I wouldn't be surprised
>if it was less than minimum wage.

I'd be suprised if it was as much as that.

Hooking the larger commercial nets up to Usenet is not going to be much
different in the long run than allowing the other smaller pay per view
systems on (well, portal et al).

As usual the people predicting the Imminent Death of Usenet unless RHF is
removed are overreacting. Quit being so pessimistic and see what happens. If
horrible things happen then get out your flame throwers. It'll be a lot
easier to get some popular support.

Face the facts that most of us are quite happy with the job that Brad is
doing. I'll continue to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who is
actually being constructive and productive as opposed to people who just
want to rant and rave and object to any progress.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

Ringworld-Engineer@cup.portal.com (James Martin Turner) (03/20/89)

>In article <1989Mar17.174548.979@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>Brad is going to be making gobs of money from gatewaying.  When you compute
>>the net hourly rate he'll be getting for moderating, I wouldn't be surprised
>>if it was less than minimum wage.
>
>I'd be suprised if it was as much as that.

You betcher ass. I run a SIG over on GEnie (actually, we call them Roundtables),
and the revenue I take in doesn't even begin to cover the costs. The only
people who can make serious money are the people running the most popular
computer SIGs. The rest of us do it because it's a lot of fun.

James Turner
SF and Fantasy RT Leader
GEnie