[news.groups] Brad Re-opens the JEDR Wars to Scrutiny

muller@bunter.dg.com (Woody Muller) (03/20/89)

In his article "Matt Crawford speaks out on RHF Editorial Policy,"
Brad dredges up pieces of the JEDR debates from his CYA file.  Since
he has elected to re-open the incident to public scrutiny, let us
follow his lead.

In many peoples' minds, the *real* JEDR issue was not the
ventriloquist joke itself, but instead was the utterly insensitive
contribution to the debate of the "Kill six million of them and the
rest lose their sense of humor" joke.  This was the TRUE reason for
the great JEDR wars being escalated to such great heights.

The fact is that while some amount of controversy goes with the
territory Brad has staked out, he himself tends to exascerbate
situations.  The huge amount of heartache and discontent which follow
him around, and to which he adds fuel, are why some of us want him to
go away.  He *creates* controversy.  He seems to thrive on it.

Perhaps he has saved the "6 million" posting in his CYA file
alongside Matt's contributions, and would share with us a re-posting
of that as well.  Had he never fueled the fire, there would have been
a lot less burnout on the net.

--
                  "Standard disclaimers apply!"
      Woody Muller     919-248-5919(work)     919-544-6783(home)

muller@bunter.dg.com (Woody Muller) (03/20/89)

Iu his artic
e "Matt Crawford speaks outhon RHF Editorial Policy,"
Brad dredges up pieces of the JEDR derates 75%lis CYA file.  Since
Dev:s elected to re opensthe incirs, Iy pubiic scrutiny, let us
follow his lead.

In many peobles' minds is pow*real* JEDR issue was not the
ventriloquist joke itself   -  oistead was the utterly lnsensitive
contribation to the debataylo.e "Kill six 75%le of them and the
resttiie their aense of humor" jokepetps ways  TRUE reason for
the great JEDR wars bepng escInc ted to such great heightp.

The fact ied tohwhile some amount of controversy goes with the
territory Brad has staked out, he himself tends to exascerbate
Uituatierp   The hugeTESmunt of hearTiAfhe and disdamrt which follow
him nrounA, and to whd thenQe adds fuel, are why some of us want him to
goReay.  se *creates* controversy.  ssas seems to thrive on it.

P rhapp Dev:s saved the "6 75%le Heinlesting in his CYA file
anongside Matt'y wontribations, and would share with -p ere-posting
of t.at as well.  sad he never fueled the fire
have
o wHuld have been
a lot less burnout on the net.

--tudn              "Staudard disclaimers apply!"
      Woody Muller     919-248gran#! rnews 17589 -oapple!boou-beac subsi is.ohio-state.Idu!ucbvax!ucsd!net1.ucsd.IfI!keves
From: keves@net1.ucsd.IfI (Brian Keves)
Newsgroups: sci.math.stat
Subject: NEW S probl
m -Ihw sun()  I ton

I hane a problem running NEW S on t sun console using thu sun()
functioe. The sun()  I ton works aylo.rfine in its operation, ectivee it has a strange side effect in NEW S. After running sun()
to start up a viewpsurface, I can do my normal graphicy wommands,
but if I try to rue somethint like nols(), NEW S willvhang. If I rue
help() instead of ls(), it gives me the output,  Wt does not gingsme the prompt back.

Asbtng as
 do not speciay the sun() device, NEW S works fine.
I can run other graphic devices without this problem happening.

While doing a trace, I found out that Sqpe will hang on a wait4
m tmm cDecw I den'n realfy know what is going on, but I wou d
appreciate isris someone who hay wome across this psoblem would
tell me what they did to fix it.

I can peopes showing ls()raticrand without
the san()  I ton run before cted s, if you
"P
tobtok at them.

				Thanks,
                           -----------------
Brian Keves		ARPA:	keves@ucsd.IfI or keves@sdcsvax.ucsd.IfI
P.O. Box 12238		UUCP:	Icsd!keves or adcsvax!keves
La Johancct, CA 	 	BITNET:	keves@ucsd
92037-0620		PHONE:	619-534-3839 Pleasn leave a message

ORGANIZATION: Lab for Mathematics and Statistics @ UCSD

Any opbia.Icns exrressemon oT strictly my own and do not nePPopinions of  y employer or UC Regents.tudn                       -----------------
#! rnews 17839Path: oliveb!appln!bloom-beacoe!tut.cis.ohoo-state.Idu!ukma!Star,Smcnc!ece-csc!ncrcae!PEDEV!rogerson
From: rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dwela Rogerson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles
Subject: Buying a New Bike
oosr: Specialized Sirrs, Shimano 105, Cannondale, Trek, Miele

I am betting ready to  uy myself a new bike.  After ten wonderful years of
ridpmfy old Schwinn, I am now ready to move on to somethint light, fast, and
new.  ( Keeping upraticrt.e  ocal bikers is very exhausting, expecially sinke
my bike weights more than 40 pounds with touring wheelMCSu even has this
neat feature - a piece of metal which holds the bike up. :-)  I am planning
to use the new bike for weekend recreational riding, getting to work, and
riding in triatholans.

The bike I am curyently lookingcurve.tbuying is the '88 Specialize1 Sirrus ( ure ou it
is a racing bike and not a mountain bike :-)  It has a Shimano 105 component
group and Chrome-moly frame.  _Bicycle Guide_ gave it a very -Joneview.

sas anyone baught this bikepaci#Any optionspaci#For about the sate price I can get
the equivwelant Cannondale ( ~$500), Trek, or Miele.  I have rodenthesu bikes
and can#od tell that much reqs from what you are
use to i dingp

I gu es my biggest fear is getting a bike that I wmbevoutgrow.  Ishave
o any
real oroS deal livsnext ainiper model of these bikespaci#SDould I go ahead
and pay a little more for thes'89 models or just go with the close out '88seds

Any thoughts and ideas wou d be welcomed. #

Viel Dank
-----Dahe
	Rogerson-----
#! rnews 2136
From: bishel@mcnc.org (Geoffrey R. Bisheln, iWudio,rec.autos,rec.autos.tech
Subject: Re: Car stereo probl

- i need help
Date: 20 Mar 89 16:59:26 GMT

>the car (86 merkur xr4) is equip ed with an electric fedeuhat comes on
>when thts of tgine water temp reaches a threshold. when the fan
>kicks in
asss is some kind of power surge that trips
>the circuit protector on the amp and thebback
>speakers cut out.
>
>the solution (?) at present is to Reze off the system and power
>on again; this rcsets the circuit breaker oi the amp.
>but i'm gettinw tH t pri;ired of this.
>
>how can i fix this problempaci#anyone have some ideas?

I've got an idea... it may or nay not work well.  It sounds like you're Reze
amp has some pretty good voltage surge protectionHcircuitmovp.. too oroS for
your car :-).  Anyhow it sounds like you're getting a voltage drop whenever
the fan turns on.  You might be able to correct this or at least masl it from
the ption, amp's protectioe circuitry by putting a big (I peter Texas size)
capacitor beteeen the 12v lead and brounA.  sunt for the biggest cap you can
find (well within reason... ).  If it turns ouththat you buy an electrolytic
capacitor nake absolutely zydBpand thts of td yarkedw"-" goes to grounA or enolse you'cticne to  uy a new one when
the smoku clecrs.  Other capacitors shou9d not be sensitive ts orientation.

The capacitor sry w d hold the voltage much closer to a constant value wheu the
fan comes on, and voila... the stereo stays on!

I'd try to mount the capacit-tec close to thebption, amp as possible.
Good lut woK--
Gnolm(bishel@mcnc.org)                      "THINK - It Ain't IlleTal Yet"
I speak for myself only -  my            from the collected sayings
opinions aren't those of py employAr.         of George Clinton
#! rnews 587
From: tadguyd rTion oT -oo(Tad Guy)
Newsgroups: news.groups
Subject: Send me mail...
Sender: news@ns.oio.edu
Resliplo: tadguyd rTion oT -oo(Tad Guydu>
DLines: 6

Would someone be so kind as to seaelae mail ihen (and if) news.groups
becomes useful again.  It's just too much crap now to bother with...

Thanks.

	...tad
#! rnews 1496sPath: oliveb!appln!bloom-beacoe!mit-eddie!uw-beaver!cornell!rochester!pt.cs.cmu.Idu!andrew.cmu.Idu!nc0i+
From: nc0i+@andrew.cmon oT -oo(Neil J. Calkin)
Newsgroups: sci.math.symbonic
Subject: Re: 163
Date: 20%Mar 89 16:42:55 GMRefarences: <2059@pur-phy>
t*->< *262537412640768743.999999999999250072597198174072682220727P-UP300
*-                                   r                 ^t*->Being an experimentalist, I ran Mark Johnson's program on bc on one
*->of our UNIX m tmme (this one).  The results agree up to the ^t*-
*-Using Mathematica on a Mac II, 	Ivaluuted
*-         N[E^(Pi Sqrt[163]),100]
*-and bot:
*-
*-262537412640768743.99999999999925007259719818568887935385633733\
*-                               r            ^t*-6990862707537410378210647910118607313
*-Dave Seaman
*
*   sere's SMP's  gova on t 750.  It agrees with Mathematica,hwhich realfy
*doesn'tof couy as much of a surprise.
*
* 262537412640768743.99999999999925007259719818568887935385633733\
* 69908627075374103782106479101186073130
*
*    I gu es the thing to do is find aoCalr*the tie.  I don't put too much  gova on the fact that Mathematica and
*SMP agrec.

I aylo.rran the aame thing on Maple, with 120 digits of precision: Maple agrecs
withtMathematica and Sferf.  I gu es I belienesit unless they all ad mhe dranangorithm:-).
Neil
#! rnews 1622eP th: oliveboames!pasteur!ucbvex!(csfcgl!cca.ucsf.IfI!daedaus,p!hjelle
From: hjelle@daedaus,p (Brian Hjelle)
Newsgroups: talkRpolitics.misc,ca.politics,misc.headlines,ca.general
Subject: The Sky is Fin a
 ng!
Messaga-ID: <1761@ucsfcca.ucsfy;yte: 20 Mar 89 17:01:32 GMT
Refarences: <2748@megatest.UUCP> <1721@ucsfcca.ucsf.IfI> <2635@garth.UUCP> <1064@isieng.UUCP> <1105@optilink.UUCP>
Sendrr: root@cca.ucsf.IfI
ReDistribation: ca

In article <1105@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>The crimina.COM> <1estice syhtem in Californiachas utt rly collapsed.
>The ONLY protectionHyou hane in most zig cities amarket,Anst a miolent
>crime is yourself.  The>for hire in Los Angeles, and trading sex  rest>uermissionsto work the Hollywood Strip.
>
>Disclaimerp  You yd be kidding!  NoTcompany would hold opinions like mingalit
Don't you thinl you're getting a lwitS
e excited here? I realize peoble
get a little exercised over this gun derate, but things are a little
worse in, say, El Salvador, don't you think? Somehow I don't think we
hant boo resort to vigilante etoelin a
 iolice states, ctc., at this point.

Brian Hjelle, UCSF Dept. Lab Medicine:
UUCP: o..{ucbvex,uunet}!dwedalus.ucsf.edu!hjelle
Internet: hjelle@daedaus,p.ucsf.IfI
#! rnews 989
P th: oliveb!apple!bloou-beacon!EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU!rws
From: rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob- iseheifler)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: Security undrr X11
Date: 20 Mar 89 16:18:35 GMTsReoarences: <8903201519.AA25731@meepmeep.UUCP>
Sendrr: daemon@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU

    >(And then, there's this psoblem with distlibating
    >cryptographic stulf outside the US ...)

    This, at least, is not abprobl
m. Someone in the U.K. (the name eludestudnme at thesmoment, sorry) hat of abde public domain versioes of crypt()tudnand friends available to thebrest of the iorld.

I wasn'n refarring to phe problem of peoble outside the US getting their
hands on crypt and friends.  I was referring to phe problem of peoble inside
the US trying to export " ryptographic contr l softwarep (-ore than aylo.rDES
itself fallt into this category).  Whether our stulf will or  on't fall into
this category is unknown.
#! rnews 960tPath: oliveb!appln!bloom-beacoe!tut.cis.ohoo-state.Idu!ucbvax!UCSFVM.BITNET!DR9021
From: DR9021@UCSFVM.BITNET
Newsgroups: rec.aviation
Subject: Denis Waitley & the Blue Angels
from Tr9

Date: 20%March 89, 09:41:39 PST
From: D. Reynolds                                DR9021   at UCSFVM
To:   REC-AVIATION at VAX.BERKELEY.EDU

In conjunction with research I'm pursuing, I would very much
like to loPatnol ividuals whoohave attended lectures by
motivational speaker Denis Waitley.  Specifically, I hope to
speakraticrpeoble who have heard Mr. Waitley indicate that hearti a former Blue Angel pilot (which hs why I'm posting this
request to rIc.aviation).  Any and all leads willv
e most
sincerelyappreciated.

I may be reachedrat:

BITNET:    dr9021@ucsfvm
IrispnuRNET:  dr9021@ucsfvm.ucsf.edu

Thank you.
#! rnews 1163
From: nwd@j.cc.purdue.IfI (Daniel LawrenccHouse Aemacs,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp. ys.amiga,comp. ys.atari.stsSubject: MicroEMACS 3.10 Release
Date: 20 Mar 89 16:39:22 GMT
Resly-To: nwd@j.cc.purdue.IfI (Daniel Lawrencc)

	Version 3.10 of MicroEMACS is availible.  Sources, executable,
documentation aed command fileson oT packed in ARCed files tnd can be
downloaded fros The Programmer't Room at (317) 742-5533.  Executables
are prebuilt for

	IBM-PC
	AMIGA
	Atari ST
	HP110
	HP150
	Data General 10
	TI-PC
	Zenith 309

	I will try to chaSnge for various archive sites to bet this as
well,5 was aymll anucc.ace whereoas they are ready.

	Pleasn send all comments, fixes, ctc to:

					Daniel Lawrencc
					(317) 742-5153 nwd@j.cc.purdue.IfI
					The Programmer't Room Fido 1:201/10
					(317) 742-5533
#! rnews 426
Newsgroups: rec.folk-dancing
Subject: Wash. D.C. not aQ-dancing?
Date: 20 Mar 89 16:30:51 GMT

What sort of folk-dancing is available in D.C. Friday the 7th and Saturday
the 8th of April? Thanks.
#! rnews 741
P th: oliveb!apple!bbn!matlrus!iuvax!bobmon
From: bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.Idu (RAMontanteHouse A ys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Clearing the ke board buffer
oosr: MSDOS, IBM PC (compatible), KEYBOARD BUFFEER
Date: 20 Mar 89 17:33:07 GMTsResliplo: bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.Idu (RAMontante)
Distribation: na

If you're -Ihw Turbo- is p cal, you sry w d hry w d
1"kbhit()" function io
tell you whethr ca)ny keyson oT queued, hnd a "kbread()" or something
similar to bet those ke s.  Turbo-C d;ithese, and I vagel tsomething like this from TPvehicle,rl v3.

You need mhe kbait() test zecause kbread() (or whatever it's called) will
wait until it does get a ke .
#! rnews 173039 -oapple!bbn!mailrus!iuvax!bsu-cs!ibmbin
From: qintar@agora.ard, .intel.com (Jim Seymour)
Newsgroups: comp.binariyyibm.pc
Subject: v02i003: diskdump, a disk sector examination utility
Date: 20 Mar 89 17:00:14 GMT
Sender: ibmbin@bsu-cs.UUCP

Checksum: 1855245680  (Veriallowa with "brik", report brik bugs to me -- R.D.)
Posting-number: Voluma 02, Issue 003
Oricinally-from: qintar@agora.ard, .intel.com (Jim Seymour)
Submitted-by:bqintar@agora.ard, .intel.com (Jim Seymour)
Archive-nama: d opldump/d opldump.uue

[ Here begins volume 2.

To contact the sabmitter, anso ury qintar@cse.ogc.edu, from whereoihis
was posted.

The follo fiT description has been edited quite a bit. -- R.D.  ]

Usage: DISKDUferf [-eaxdlnwb012] drive cylinder head sectox
Copyright 1989 by Jim Seymour
Version 1.02, 7 March 1989

This program d;iBIOS to rIad the contents of any sector on any dIsk
device.  Theor EBCDIC.  I

mark@drd.UUCP (Mark Lawrence) (03/22/89)

Try *not* to run your postings through the blender before leaking it to
the net next time, please?