[news.groups] Counting the Votes

allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM (Allen Gwinn) (03/28/89)

In article <3566@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>If someone can summon up 100 people to vote against a group, there is enough
>anti-interest to consider it a bad idea. ANY group that has any great amount
>of controversy is probably going to ba a bad net.partner anyway.

So, if I put out a vote to rmgroup a group, and got 100 for and 100
against, what should be done?  What about 100 for removal and 150 for
the retention?  Should the minority rule in this case?

--
Allen Gwinn  sulaco!allen      DISCLAIMER: Nobody else would WANT my opinions.

I posted this, regarding newsgroup creation:

In article <3566@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>If someone can summon up 100 people to vote against a group, there is enough
>anti-interest to consider it a bad idea. ANY group that has any great amount
>of controversy is probably going to ba a bad net.partner anyway.

Apparently Allen interpreted it in terms of newsgroup deletion:

In article <589@sulaco.Sigma.COM>, allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM (Allen Gwinn) writes:
> So, if I put out a vote to rmgroup a group, and got 100 for and 100
> against, what should be done?  What about 100 for removal and 150 for
> the retention?  Should the minority rule in this case?

Apologies for the confusion. I guess I need to word this a little better:

If someone can summon up 100 people to oppose a vote, there is enough
anti-interest to consider it a bad idea. Any vote that has a great amount
of opposition is not in the interests of the net, and the status-quo should
be retained.

Of course, I've come around to the point of view that there is nothing
fundamentally wrong with the rules as they currently stand, and I don't
think that there is any point in trying to fine-tune them right now.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.