[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: NEW GROUP comp.mail.mush

mml@srhqla.UUCP (Michael Levin) (04/01/89)

Fellow netlanders-

	I have been receiving a number of flames (albeit they have all been
very polite ones) because I posted a call for votes prematurely.  I issued
an APOLOGY posting, and I meant it.  In several of the flames, it was pointed
out that I hadn't indicated that a mailing list already existed- one does,
and it is distributed to over 100 people.  I expect to see yes votes from
virtually all the folks on that list, as well as a number of others who
have been getting their info from comp.mail.misc.

	PLEASE: NO MORE FLAMES-  I know what I did wrong and I'll never,
ever, ever, ever... do it again.  :-(

	Since the correct course is a call for discussion, let's get some
discussion going! ! !

					Mike Levin

--
+----+         P L E A S E    R E S P O N D   T O:     +------+-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
| Mike Levin, Silent Radio HeadQuarters, Los Angeles (srhqla) | No room for a *
| Path:{aeras|csun|pacbell|pyramid|telebit}!srhqla!levin      |'snappy remark'*
>and it is distributed to over 100 people.

The reason this whole issue has come up is because the newsgroup is
generating more and more messages per day and growing.  What's worse
(and anyone who has posted a major piece of software ot the net knows
this), I am getting around 20 or more messages a day from users who
may or may not be on the mailing list that are addressed to me personally
and not the mailing list.  This means that I have to reply promptly (and
I always do :-) or I will get overrun with mail and I'd never catch up.

Recently, a diety of some sort has sent me Bart Schaefer who has been
extraordinarily helpful in offsetting much of this traffic by replying
to questions, maintaining the latest set of patches about to be posted,
and general help with coding.  Bart <schaefer@cse.ogc.edu> probably gets
as much mail as I do about mush (now that I mentioned his address, he'll
probably get more :-).

Marc Rouleau <mer6g@virginia.acc.virginia.edu> has been also helpful in
this effort by dealing with all the MMDF portion of the code and dealing
with mmdf questions (which I cannot begin to answer).

Finally, I am now getting 3 to 5 new mush-users-request messages a day
(as opposed to 1-3/day before the call for discussion).  there are
currently 100 users on the list and 20 redistribution lists.  There has
been a request for (and a volunteer) for a european mush-users list.

I vote yes for the newsgroup partly to offset much of the work that
Bart, Marc and I have to do to keep things going and partly because
the creation of the newsgroup will stimulate increased usage.  Isn't
that the goal of prividing free software?

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>