[news.groups] usa

jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (03/30/89)

Could the moderators of the various groups put their address in the "reply to"
filed of the postings so that the follow-ups get mailed to the moderator for
posting instead of the originator?

Or am I missing something?   (not the first time)

Disclaimer:  "It's mine!  All mine!!!"
					- D. Duck

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/31/89)

In <3513@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) writes:
>Could the moderators of the various groups put their address in the "reply to"
>filed of the postings so that the follow-ups get mailed to the moderator for
>posting instead of the originator?

Most newsreaders these days, when you do a followup-to a moderated group
it automatically gets sent to the moderator.  During the renaming
the transition period was messy, so sometimes moderators got 30+ copies
of some postings, as people incorrectly had some groups moderated, not
moderated, and aliased.

The reply-to field is really only used for mail, and it depends on the
group whether it's appropriate for it to be the moderator's address or
that of the poster.  For c.s.u, most mail is about bugs in the programs,
and should go to the author, not me.  (Yes, I know that I don't do that;
I guess I'm lazy. :-)
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (04/02/89)

In article <3513@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) writes:
: Could the moderators of the various groups put their address in the "reply to"
: filed of the postings so that the follow-ups get mailed to the moderator for
: posting instead of the originator?
:
: Or am I missing something?   (not the first time)

Yes. As I'm sure you know, followups should go to the moderator;
replies should go to the poster. The version of the news software that
I use (B news 2.11 patchlevel 14 & rn) does this correctly: followups
are mailed, via the Newsgroups: line and the mailpaths file, to a site
which knows to forward them to the moderator. Replies are sent via
mail to the poster, using the Reply-To: or From: lines.

To make this work correctly, those lines should have the original
poster's address in them.

---
Bill
{ uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill

send comp.archives postings to twwells!comp-archives
send comp.archives related mail to twwells!comp-archives-request