[news.groups] Cabals, Committees, Voting, ad nauseum

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (04/09/89)

Lots of interesting proposals have been made concerning how to decide
what groups to create/delete.

They don't really address the problem.  We have not defined why we
want new groups or why we would want to delete old groups.  Unless we
understand (and to some extent agree) on this, there will always be an
unrepresented group and/or an unhappy set of readers.

What we really need to do is define what Usenet is and where we want
it to go.  If we have some common view then almost any sane, mature
group can guide (note that by that definition, netwide votes don't
work :-).

Usenet has grown largely by accident.  A few times in the past, a set
of strong-willed individuals with a particular view of things has
helped guide the development, for good or bad.  Examples would include
the structure of B news, the "great renaming," the creation of
news.announce.newusers, "kill" files, moderated groups, and some of
the special features of 2.11 news.  I think my maintenance of the
"list of groups" is another example.

For a long time, there was a very small set of people with long
experience with the Usenet (and networking in general), and getting
them to reach consensus was possible.  Now, with almost 1/4 million
readers of Usenet worldwide and 8 years of operation, we find the
group with expertise (and opinions) to be very much larger.  Such a
large group cannot reach consensus...as evidenced by flame wars in
news.groups and the collapse of the old backbone group ("cabal" to the
sensationalist).

My view of history: The old "cabal" grew from a mailing list I started
   in late 1984 when I first got concerned about the growth of
   newsgroups and the problems with the namespace.  I added admins
   from sites I considered major, and persons who had evidenced a
   calm, concerned attitude in the (equivalent of) news.* groups.  The
   list had under 3 dozen people.  Out of that group came the idea for
   moderated groups and a few other such goodies.

   The "backbone" mailing list itself grew out of this "cabal" in
   1985.  We needed a name for the group, so I took Mark Horton's term
   "backbone" and used that.  After all, nearly everybody on the list
   was an admin from one of the major sites.  I put together a
   description of what defined those sites (connectivity, stability,
   current software, etc) and added people who weren't already on the
   list but whose site met the criteria.

   In 1986, a subset of that list met at the summer Usenix in Atlanta.
   We brainstormed at a couple of meetings to see what could be done
   to help improve the Usenet.  News 2.11 was soon to be released and
   it seemed like an opportune time to consider changes.  Out of those
   meetings came the "great renaming" and the current software to
   handle moderated groups.  The "checkgroups" control message was
   also born at this time.  (I seem to remember the following people
   as being present: Mark Horton, Rick Adams, Mel Pleasant, Lindsay
   Cleveland, Henry Spencer, Andrew Beals, Ron Heiby, Curtis Jackson,
   Larry Auton, Tim Seaver, Chuq von Rospach, Erik Fair, Greg Woods
   and me.  There were at least 2 more, but I don't remember their
   names -- can somebody else who was there remind me?)

   As time went on, the "backbone" list grew (eventually reaching over
   110).  The group got involved in newsgroup wars after the "great
   renaming" when people complained that we had forgotten their pet
   newsgroups.  Afterwards, when some newsgroup proposals appeared
   for groups some (many) of us considered dangerous (viz., rec.drugs
   and soc.sex), we decided by majority not to carry such groups.
   Thereafter, people started pushing to create groups by whim, and
   some made proposals just to annoy (viz.,
   comp.protocols.tcp-ip.eniac).   The group managed to reach
   agreement on most of these, but flames from without, and diverging
   views about the nature of Usenet within led to the eventual demise
   of the group over the comp.women issue.

Now the above is a personal view of some history, and is therefore
subject to some coloration, but I think it captures the major points.
We needed some restructuring and guidance, and a large enough group
with extensive experience got together and filled the role.  However,
differing views of what Usenet was, plus abuse and pressure from
agents of entropy led to the disbanding of the group.  Those same
things will plague any new group unless the root causes are addressed.
And that, quite simply, is defining what Usenet is and where it is
headed.  I think almost all of our current disputes can be traced to
this, including most of the battle over Brad's actions -- some people
don't share Brad's view of the Usenet.

Legislating the nature of Usenet as a set of rules will not work.  We
need to (collectively) define, understand, and support "The Spirit of
Usenet" (whatever that may be -- if it even exists) and to educate new
users in that definition.  Once that's understood, the rest is easy;
until then, any action will be like trying to herd cats.

Disclaimer: I seldom know what I'm talking about.  Just ask my
students or my wife.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

lmb7421@ultb.UUCP (L.M. Barstow) (04/11/89)

In article <6503@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@uther.cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>Lots of interesting proposals have been made concerning how to decide
>what groups to create/delete.
>
>They don't really address the problem.  We have not defined why we
>want new groups or why we would want to delete old groups.  Unless we
>understand (and to some extent agree) on this, there will always be an
>unrepresented group and/or an unhappy set of readers.
>
>   In 1986, a subset of that list met at the summer Usenix in Atlanta.
>   We brainstormed at a couple of meetings to see what could be done
>   to help improve the Usenet.  News 2.11 was soon to be released and
>   it seemed like an opportune time to consider changes.  Out of those
>   meetings came the "great renaming" and the current software to
>   handle moderated groups.  The "checkgroups" control message was
>   also born at this time.

Perhaps, then, it is once again time for a major rewrite of the news
system.  As I have not been on the net long (and am NOT by any means a
UN*X wizard), I do not know entirely what this entails, however, there
are a few things which could be incorporated into the news software...

rmgroup could be made automatic (a control message of some sort could be
easily inserted into the news packet format, I believe) to prevent
problems of scattered sections of old dead groups.

a similar group of control blocks could shift the addresses of moderated
groups to new sites, etc....

as for the problem of defining reasons to want new groups, and how to go
about counting these beasties, the current procedure is, if somewhat
messy, a good start.  Perhaps, as has been suggested over the past week
or so, a moderated group called news.newgroup.votes could be created,
the moderator being in charge of taking the votes and counting them
(the moderator could take the votes by separating subject and summary
lines eg...Subject: Re: sci.creation.koosh  Summary: No  being counted
as a no vote for sci.creation.koosh)  This would centralize all voting
under one roof (whoever is "watching over" the net at the time).

As for counts....it seems fairly obvious that, up to a certain point, it
is easier to hold a conference via e-mail.  For groups that receive only
small numbers of votes, creation of a group is obviously , IMHO, stupid
(to put it bluntly :-) I'll leave the definition of 'small' up to those
who know what the net is capable of handling comfortably.  Second,
although this may seem a bit biased in favor of creation of newsgroups,
I think it necessary that negative votes give valid reasoning for the
non-creation of the group (ex I don't like the creator of the
group doesn't quite cut it, although it MAY be a valid reason for asking
for a new moderator on a moderated group.  Similarly, the fact that the
group is 90% covered in another group is obviously reason to think about
not creating the group (unless, as a subdivision, it will cut down
traffic, not promote cross-posting, and/or will cut out some unwanted
discussion in the parent group...well, most everyone knows what the
qualifications should be :-), I'm just stating the obvious because it
seems that that MAY be necessary.  A simple majority of 'Yes' votes vs
weak 'No' votes should be sufficient to create the group, but a stronger
(2/3, 3/4) majority should be considered if there are many valid 'No'
reasons.  Again, there is the possibility of another new group,
news.newgroup.discussion (ack!) for discussing those controversial new
groups.  (I know this sounds like a lot of new news traffic, but it
would clear the air of a lot of cross-posting and debates in parent
groups.)

Well, I've been long-winded enough...
--
Les Barstow     LMB7421@RITVAX.BITNET
...rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ultb!lmb7421.UUCP