[news.groups] Results of dead groups survey.

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (04/10/89)

A little over two weeks ago, I set up a little survey of some of the
low-traffic Usenet groups.  I sent mail to the moderators of 9
moderated low-traffic groups, and posted queries to 12 unmoderated
ones.  The mail to the moderators looked like this:

    Hi.  Your mailing list, <mailinglist>, is gatewayed to the Usenet
    newsgroup <newsgroup>.  There has been no activity in the newsgroup
    for quite a while.  This leads me to suspect that either the gateway
    is broken or the mailing list is dead.  Any clues?

The postings to the unmoderated groups looked like this:

    Subject: Is <newsgroup> dead?

    This newsgroup has not has any traffic in quite a while.  Is it dead?
    Should we give it a decent burial?

First let's take a look at the numerical results.  I saved all the
relevant messages from all the groups in question for the two week
period.  This includes email to me, postings to the newsgroup, and
for unmoderated groups, postings following up my query.

Moderated net-wide groups:

    comp.graphics.digest (info-graphics@ads.com)
      email:	 	  0
      real postings:	  0

    comp.laser-printers (laser-lovers@brillig.umd.edu)
      email:	 	  0
      real postings:	  0

    comp.protocols.kermit (info-kermit@cu20b.columbia.edu)
      email:	 	  0
      real postings:	  1
    Note, however, that the moderator of info-kermit did NOT ignore my
    message.  Instead, he added me to his mailing list!

    comp.std.mumps (std-mumps@plus5.com)
      email:	 	  1
      real postings:	  1
    Email from the moderator saying that the list isn't dead, there's just
    a temporary lack of traffic.  Plus a real posting from the moderator.

    comp.sys.m68k.pc (info-68k@ucbvax.berkeley.edu)
      email:	 	  1
      real postings:	  0
    Email from the moderator saying that the list isn't dead, that there's
    plenty of traffic on it.  Since I don't see any of it, either the gateway
    for this one is broken or the distribution is partitioned.

    comp.sys.workstations (works@rutgers.edu)
      email:	 	  0
      real postings:	  0

    comp.theory.info-retrieval (fox@vtopus.cs.vt.edu)
      email:	 	  0
      real postings:	  0
    My mail to fox-request bounced after a few days -- host unreachable.
    The host remains down as of this writing.

    soc.human-nets (human-nets@red.rutgers.edu)
      email:	 	  1
      real postings:	  0
    Email from the moderator saying that the list isn't dead, there's just
    a temporary lack of traffic.

Moderated inet-only groups:

    comp.protocols.iso.x400.gateway (post-x400-gateway@tis.llnl.gov)
      email:	 	  1
      real postings:	  1
    Email from the moderator saying that the list isn't dead, there's just
    a temporary lack of traffic.  Plus a real posting from someone other
    than the moderator.

Unmoderated net-wide groups:

    comp.mail.headers
      email:	 	  3
      followup postings:  3
      real postings:	  1
    One rude email response from Leonard D Woren <LDW@MVSA.USC.EDU>.  One
    email message saying that the mailing list this group gateways to has
    plenty of traffic, so perhaps the gateway is broken.

    comp.sys.celerity
      email:	 	  0
      followup postings:  1
      real postings:	  1
    The followup posting noted that Celerity was bought out by FPS a while
    back.  That might explain the lack of interest.  Still, orphan computers
    need love too.

Unmoderated inet-only groups:

    comp.dcom.lans.hyperchannel
      email:	 	  0
      followup postings:  2
      real postings:	  0
    Two postings claiming that they could post lots of stuff, but don't.

    comp.edu.composition
      email:	 	  0
      followup postings:  2
      real postings:	  0
    One posting asking what the group is for; another saying that it is
    indeed dead and should be removed.

    comp.lang.forth.mac
      email:	 	  0
      followup postings:  6
      real postings:	  3

    comp.os.v
      email:	 	  0
      followup postings:  0
      real postings:	  4
    Four real postings, no meta-noise.  A healthy group!

    comp.unix.cray
      email:	 	  0
      followup postings:  9
      real postings:	 13

    comp.dcom.lans.v2lni
      email:	 	  1
      followup postings:  3
      real postings:	  0

    comp.lang.idl
      email:	 	  1
      followup postings:  1
      real postings:	  0
    The folloup posting was partially to promote the poster's upcoming book
    on IDL.  Nothing wrong with that, and it may indeed increase traffic
    when it comes out.

    comp.mail.multi-media
      email:	 	  2
      followup postings:  7
      real postings:	  7

    comp.protocols.pcnet
      email:	 	  3
      followup postings:  2
      real postings:	  0
    One of the email messages was from the maintainer of the gatewayed
    mailing list, saying he is considering removing the list.  One of
    the followup postings was empty.  The other followup posting talked
    about some IBM-PC product called PCNET, totally unrelated to the
    actual subject of the group.

    comp.sys.cdc
      email:	 	 2 (one rude, from Drew Sullivan <drew@lethe.uucp>)
      followup postings: 13
      real postings:	 48
    This group has definitely taken off.

So, what can we tell from these numbers?  First of all, for the
moderated groups I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the
moderator.  Even in the case of human-nets, which as Evelyn Leeper
points out has not has any postings in almost two years.  The moderator
of human-nets claims that the group will be revived soon -- maybe so,
maybe not, but at least he answers his mail.

The same cannot be said for the moderators of comp.graphics.digest,
comp.laser-printers, and comp.sys.workstations.  Perhaps someone else
could attempt to wake them up?  And comp.theory.info-retrieval is just
broken.  If contact cannot be re-established with the moderators of
these groups, I recommend that they be removed.  My previous suggestion
that defunct moderated groups be changed to unmoderated turns out to
have a problem: due to Usenet's poor design, a group that is moderated
on some hosts and unmoderated on others can cause mounds of mail to be
sent to the moderator.  Even someone who doesn't answer his mail
doesn't deserve this.  So, remove the groups.  If there is interest
(highly doubtful but possible), new unmoderated groups can be created,
with different names, through the usual process.

As for the unmoderated groups: some are healthy, some are borderline, but
three are obviously dead: comp.edu.composition, comp.dcom.lans.v2lni, and
comp.protocols.pcnet.  These groups should be removed.  No voting is
necessary or desireable.

    Possible gateway problems:
	comp.sys.m68k.pc
	comp.mail.headers

    Definite problems, attempt contact and remove if nothing happens:
	comp.graphics.digest
	comp.laser-printers
	comp.sys.workstations
	comp.theory.info-retrieval

    Remove:
	comp.edu.composition
	comp.dcom.lans.v2lni
	comp.protocols.pcnet

You're welcome.
---
Jef

            Jef Poskanzer   jef@helios.ee.lbl.gov   ...well!pokey
 "Science is a cemetery of dead ideas, even though life may issue from them."
                             -- Miguel de Unamuno

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (04/11/89)

In article <11291@well.UUCP> Jef Poskanzer <jef@helios.ee.lbl.gov> wrote:
>A little over two weeks ago, I set up a little survey of some of the
>low-traffic Usenet groups...

>First let's take a look at the numerical results.  I saved all the
>relevant messages from all the groups in question for the two week
>period.  This includes email to me, postings to the newsgroup, and
>for unmoderated groups, postings following up my query.

	Some of the groups you chose to study are worthwhile because
	their content is valuable, not because their volume is
	overwhelming.  The omes I have in mind are comp.laser-printers
	and comp.protocols.kermit.  If these weren't newsgroups, I'd
	have to be on both mailing lists, which would be a pain for the
	moderators, because I'm hardly alone in needing this
	information.

	Unless someone can demonstrate that low-volume newsgroups waste
	more resources than I think they do (next to none), I'll
	refrain from deleting them, and will advise others to do the
	same.

	Two weeks is a ridiculously short baseline for a survey,
	anyway.  There was a digest posted to the laser printers group
	not long before this period.

	Chuck Karish	hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish	(415) 493-7277
			karish@forel.stanford.edu

jef@surf.ee.lbl.gov (Jef Poskanzer) (04/12/89)

In the referenced message, karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) wrote:
}Two weeks is a ridiculously short baseline for a survey,
}anyway.  There was a digest posted to the laser printers group
}not long before this period.

Actually, I chose the groups to tweak on the basis of my previous
survey, reported in article <2094@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, posted on the
13th of March.  In that survey I reported the list of groups that had
no articles in my spool directory.  We keep those newsgroups for 21
days, so now we are back to the 20th of February.  Almost two MONTHS,
not two weeks.  If there was an article posted to comp.laser-printers
during this time, then the distribution must be broken because it
didn't get here.

In any case, comp.laser-printers was not in my "remove" category, but
in my "definite problems, attempt contact and remove if nothing
happens" category.  It is not acceptable for a moderator to go for
months without posting anything and to ignore email asking what is up.
One or the other is ok -- not particularly nice, but ok.  Both together
means the group should be removed.  So, would you, Chuck Karish, like
to attempt contact with the moderator of comp.laser-printers?  I have
done my part.  I have attepted contact, and I have been ignored.  Now
it's someone else's turn.
---
Jef

            Jef Poskanzer   jef@helios.ee.lbl.gov   ...well!pokey
                   "If all else fails, try sucking it out."