[news.groups] BITNET

jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (05/03/89)

Is there a group which carries on discussions concerning the internet /
bitnet compatability/cross-communications/whatever?  I know I can
(and do) mail across, and belong to a few bitnet mailing lists, but there
seems to be a real shortage on discussion on this possibility.

Disclaimer:  "It's mine!  All mine!!!"
					- D. Duck

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) (05/12/89)

> Is there a group which carries on discussions concerning the internet /
> bitnet compatability/cross-communications/whatever?  I know I can
> (and do) mail across, and belong to a few bitnet mailing lists, but there
> seems to be a real shortage on discussion on this possibility.

comp.mail.misc

also

info-nets@think.com
It's more efficient to use LISTSERV@BITNIC for this list.
Do this to subscribe to the listserv redistribution of the info-nets
list (I do this even though I'm from the Internet, it's easier):
Mail listserv@bitnic.bitnet
subject:  (anything at all)
SUB INFONETS Your (real) Name

also

talk to LISTSERV@BITNIC.BITNET, it has lots of files, I haven't really
found what you're looking for (I've wanted it to refer people to it).

also

it's so easy it doesn't need much explanation.
INTERNET->BITNET:
USER@HOST.BITNET is similar to USER@HOST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
and USER%HOST.BITNET@UUNET.UU.NET, and perhaps
@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU:USER@HOST.BITNET.

BITNET->INTERNET:  you're on your own, ASK YOUR LOCAL POSTMASTER.

also

BITNET and CSNET are merging.  I'd expect things to be working better
a few years from now.