[news.groups] CALL FOR DISCUSSION: Creation of news.groups.d

rob@phavl.UUCP (Robert Ransbottom) (05/24/89)

In article <61490@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>    [ cites a small piece of the flamefest ]
>
> NONE OF THESE MESSAGES BELONG IN NEWS.GROUPS!
>
> News.groups is for discussing the proposed newsgroup, not about all these issues
> I find news.groups harder and harder to keep up with.  This is one group that
> most USENET readers should be encouraged to read, but with this kind of
> discussion going on I'm afraid all we'll do is encourage people to unsubscribe.
>
> We need more organization in news.groups.  One possibility is to create a
> news.groups.d for followup discussions.  But though this will be an improvement,
> I think news.groups.d will suffer from the same problem.

> [ ... self-proclaimed off the wall idea deleted ... ]

IMHO your idea is to complex to pass.

This is a simple call for discussion.  This idea has come up 3 times in
the last 6 months.  As one correspondent stated:  it requires little
discussion.

The only discussion I see needed is if news.groups needs to become moderated.
I move that we leave news.groups unmoderated in the interest of getting
news.groups.d made.

The ramifications as I see them:
 - A post to news.groups still serves as "official notice".
 - News.groups becomes a "readable" group (newsadmins take note).
 - People can skip news.group.d unless there is an issue they'd wish to see.

The call for votes will be issued on June 6, 1989.

--
 ...!uunet!phavl!rob              Robert Ransbottom

erbo@papaya.ucsb.edu (Eric J. Bowersox) (05/25/89)

In article <240@phavl.UUCP> rob@phavl.UUCP (Robert Ransbottom) writes:
>In article <61490@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) writes:
>> We need more organization in news.groups.  One possibility is to create a
>> news.groups.d for followup discussions....
>
> [...]
>
>The ramifications as I see them:
> - A post to news.groups still serves as "official notice".
> - News.groups becomes a "readable" group (newsadmins take note).
> - People can skip news.group.d unless there is an issue they'd wish to see.

It's about time someone got this idea going!  I read this newsgroup fairly
frequently (it's about #8 in my .newsrc :-) ), I voted on the creation of
soc.feminism (no flames, PLEASE!), I have been tuning in to look for the
results, and I have been fairly swamped in the resultant flamefest! And, with
a disk quota of 300K, I can't afford a massive kill file for news.groups :-(.

Let's place the discussion (from all sources) somewhere else and get on with
the efficient creation of new newsgroups.  Perhaps, eventually, news.groups
can become moderated once people get used to the news.groups.d idea.

(I should direct followups to news.groups.d...but I can't yet....)

/////////   Disclaimer:  Uh, well, Huttenback didn't need one...   \\\\\\\\
//////  * Eric J. Bowersox (ERBO) *  VP, UCSB Campus Computer Club   \\\\\\
//// erbo%cornu@hub.ucsb.edu  ...!{ucbvax,ucsd}!ucsbcsl!hub!cornu!erbo \\\\
//  ----- Vertical is horizontal turned 90 degrees.  -- M. Gegus -----   \\

nichols@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (robert.k.nichols) (05/29/89)

I see no benefit (for me, at least) in a separate news.groups.d.  There
is almost always SOME discussion that I am following at the moment, so
I would have to wade through news.groups.d anyway, and in addition to
reading news.groups itself.

There may be people out there for whom news.groups.d would be a big
benefit, but I suspect that many of those favoring the idea will find
that it doesn't help them as much as they thought it would.  I'd like
to hear from people who really feel that they would usually only read
news.groups if news.groups.d were created.

Now the original proposal (a separate, temporary group for each
proposal) WOULD be a big benefit, but this is probably unworkable given
the present organization(?) of the net.  Almost the same benefit would
be obtained just by using consistent "Subject:" lines for each thread,
but that doesn't seem very likely either.
--
.sig included at no extra charge.          |  Disclaimer: My mind is my own.
Cute quote: `` ''                          |