[news.groups] news.groups: OK as is

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (05/28/89)

I'd like to issue a call for the status quo on news.groups.
I have no problem with the discussions of new groups, and,
even when things get off on a tangent, find the postings
interesting.

Para un Tejas Libre,

Jeff Daiell

--
  If a hungry man has water, and a thirsty man has bread,
  Then if they trade, be not dismayed, they both come out ahead.

                                   -- Don Paarlberg

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (05/29/89)

In article <4333@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

> I'd like to issue a call for the status quo on news.groups.
> I have no problem with the discussions of new groups, and,
> even when things get off on a tangent, find the postings
> interesting.

I agree.  Leave news.groups unmoderated.  Otherwise we will need

   news.groups.moderated
   news.groups.flame.the.moderator

People get emotional about this stuff.  It seems to be the way of the net.

rob@phavl.UUCP (Robert Ransbottom) (05/30/89)

> In article <4333@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
> >   [ I'm ...] for the status quo on news.groups.
> > I have no problem with the discussions of new groups, and,
> > even when things get off on a tangent, find the postings
> > interesting.

Admitted: recreational readers of news.groups gain little by the
proposed creation of news.groups.d.

The intent is to make news.groups accessable to more people.

In article <1465@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>, charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:
> ...  Leave news.groups unmoderated.  Otherwise we will need
>
>    news.groups.moderated
>    news.groups.flame.the.moderator
>
> People get emotional about this stuff.  It seems to be the way of the net.

News.groups could be moderated IF it is JUST for calls & counts.  It would not
be a moderator's place to reject proposals that seem frivolous, etc.; just
non-proposals.  I don't see why there would be more flames.

News.groups.d should generate more flames temporarily in news.groups;
until the change is known.

--
 ...!uunet!phavl!rob              Robert Ransbottom

rob@phavl.UUCP (Robert Ransbottom) (06/01/89)

[ FOLLOWUP TO NEWS.GROUPS ]

In article <5194@rpi.edu>, kibo@pawl.rpi.edu (James 'Kibo' Parry) writes:
> In article <1465@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:
> >In article <4333@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
> >> I'd like to issue a call for the status quo on news.groups. ...
>
> 	Absolutely.  If a *discussion* is supposed to take place -- as it
> should, before a vote on a newsgroup creation is taken -- you need an
> unmoderated group to do it in...

Agreed.

> 	(The proper purpose for a moderated group is for dissemination of
> information, i.e. "Everyone should know this", not discussion.  It's
> less quick to spread things around and less interactive.)

Agreed, that is why there is a call for creation of news.groups.d,
because Everybody should know about the CALLS FOR ...  but wading
through n.g is a deterent that only grow stronger.

--
news.groups SMALL for ALL  -- Support new.groups.d, only CALLS & RESULTS in n.g
                    ( sloganizing is making me feel ill)