[news.groups] BASIC programming group

jhp@apss.ab.ca (Herb Presley, Emergency Planning Officer) (06/14/89)

BASIC......BASIC......BASIC.......BASIC........BASIC.......BASIC.......BASIC

	This is the second call for votes on the establishment of a news group
for those interested in any form of BASIC programming.  So far only 13 replies
have been received, all affirmative.

	Possible name for the newsgroup is............

		comp.lang.BASIC

	Votes are welcome from anyone who programs, or is interested in
programming in BASIC for fun or work.  Programmers are invited to reply, from
the rank amateur to the very professional.

	In the absence of a knowledgable person, I will be prepared to moderate
the group.

	Please email your replies to me at.....

		jhp@apss.ab.ca.UUCP

or post your responses in......

	        <comp.sys.ibm.pc>

Those who replied after the first call for votes need not do so again.
|* email : jhp@apss.ab.ca.UUCP (...uunet!utai!alberta!ncc!apss!jhp)|
|** mail : 10320 - 146 St. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  T5N 3A2      |
|***  ph : (403) 451-7151				           |

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (06/15/89)

In <1299@apss.apss.ab.ca> jhp@apss.ab.ca (Herb Presley) writes:
>       This is the second call for votes on the establishment of a
> news group for those interested in any form of BASIC programming.
> So far only 13 replies have been received, all affirmative.

Bogus, bogus, BOGUS!  What hole did this crawl out of?  Someone must
have some weird filter to my site that took all articles discussing
this out of news.groups here.  No proposal or the first call for votes
for this group has been seen in news.groups in recent history (I just
checked the last 150 articles we have spooled and none of them mention
this group).  If somehow I missed this, then I apologize and everyone
can flame me and this vote will happily proceed.  Otherwise I would
suggest that Herb review the guidelines for newsgroup creation in
news.announce.newusers and that people not participate in this vote.

> 	Possible name for the newsgroup is............
> 		comp.lang.BASIC

Ack.  gag.  Capital letters in newsgroup names can screw up some news
software and are pretty gross in newsgroup names anyway.  Do you see
any other large distribution newsgroup with capital letters in the name?

> 	Votes are welcome from anyone who programs, or is interested in
> programming in BASIC for fun or work.  Programmers are invited to reply, from
> the rank amateur to the very professional.

I haven't programmed in BASIC in years.  Does that make my vote
unwelcome?  Probably, because I will vote against this group solely
on principle if it ever comes to a legitimate vote.

> 	In the absence of a knowledgable person, I will be prepared to moderate
> the group.
> 	Please email your replies to me at.....
> 		jhp@apss.ab.ca.UUCP

Was moderating the heavy flow of thirteen participants part of the
proposal?

> or post your responses in......
> 	        <comp.sys.ibm.pc>

If it were a vote, this would not be valid.  Posted votes do not
count.

> Those who replied after the first call for votes need not do so again.

Unless of course this actually ends up following the newsgroup
creation guidelines in which case they should vote officially.
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))
  "I realize the Internet isn't the whole world, but it is the center of it."

cook@xenna.Encore.COM (Dale Cook) (06/15/89)

Here we go again!  Someone not familiar with procedures drops out of
left field with a call for votes!  Fifty people who have been following
the rules, including the discussion of the rules, see it and torch the
poor puppy to a crispy dog.  And it's all so unnecessary!

IF we had a moderated calls group (and assuming Mr BASIC head is running
reasonably new news software), his harmless mis-post would be redirected
to the moderator who could point out the errors of his ways.  He could
reframe his article as a call for discussion and life could go on.

I hope you all will support the vote to split this group when it comes!
(If for no other reason, to keep these sorts of things from happening.)

	- Dale (N1US)	Encore Computer Corporation, Marlboro, Mass.
INTERNET:	cook@encore.com
UUCP:		{buita || talcott || husc6 || bellcore} !encore!cook

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/15/89)

According to jhp@apss.ab.ca (Herb Presley, Emergency Planning Officer):
>BASIC......BASIC......BASIC.......BASIC........BASIC.......BASIC.......BASIC

Boy, if that's not an emergency, I don't know what is.

>	This is the second call for votes on the establishment of a news group
>for those interested in any form of BASIC programming.

Sorry.  There was no call for discussion in news.groups.  I hold that this
vote is invalid and should be terminated forthwith, so that a normal
discussion may take place before the vote.

Also, newsgroups typically have names without upper-case letters.  I see
no reason to make a special case for Basic when we already have comp.lang.c.

>	Please email your replies to me at.....
>		jhp@apss.ab.ca.UUCP

I doubt that address will work, anyway.  Drop the ".UUCP".
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET (Tom Hall) (06/16/89)

In article <1299@apss.apss.ab.ca>, jhp@apss.ab.ca (Herb Presley, Emergency Planning Officer) writes:

>        This is the second call for votes on the establishment of a news group
>for those interested in any form of BASIC programming.  So far only 13 replies
>have been received, all affirmative.

Here's another vote. I recently purchased QuickBasic Version 4.0, and
have been looking for some help. Would love to see a newsgroup on this
subject.

tom
Tom Hall                             FidoNet:  1:342/6
Edmonton, Alberta                    BitNet :  THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET

newkirk@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Scott Newkirk RCE) (06/16/89)

In article <545@UALTAVM.BITNET> THALL@UALTAVM.BITNET writes:
>In article <1299@apss.apss.ab.ca>, jhp@apss.ab.ca (Herb Presley, Emergency Planning Officer) writes:
>
>>        This is the second call for votes on the establishment of a news group
>>for those interested in any form of BASIC programming.  So far only 13 replies
>>have been received, all affirmative.

Add one more to the yes votes!

************   Jurarire cbffvoyr..  Sbyq, Fcvaqyr & Zhgvyngr  *********
WORK: newkirk@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov :: HOME: (PRODIGY) SSDJ77A
     (OR sun!ames!pioneer!newkirk ):: 19400 Sorenson #208
      "Scott who?, He said what?!!":: Cupertino CA.  95014

nmm@apss.ab.ca (Neil McCulloch) (06/21/89)

In article <TALE.89Jun14142541@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu>, tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

- Bogus, bogus, BOGUS!  What hole did this crawl out of?  Someone must
- have some weird filter to my site that took all articles discussing
- this out of news.groups here.  No proposal or the first call for votes
- for this group has been seen in news.groups in recent history (I just
- checked the last 150 articles we have spooled and none of them mention
- this group).  If somehow I missed this, then I apologize and everyone
- can flame me and this vote will happily proceed.  Otherwise I would
- suggest that Herb review the guidelines for newsgroup creation in
- news.announce.newusers and that people not participate in this vote.

Sorry folks, this one got by us. Rest assured that the aforementioned
guidelines are the subject of an ongoing education and orientation
program for the originator of the bogey.

Steps are being taken to ensure that we do not miss another such article.

Nos culpate!

neil                    (nmm@apss.ab.ca)