[news.groups] CALL for DISCUSSION: comp.sys.os2

mor@datlog.co.uk ( Mike O'Reilly ) (08/21/89)

This is a CALL for DISCUSSION of "comp.sys.os2" and related newsgroups.
Please send your thoughts to "news.groups". After september 4th I
propose we have a vote on whether to create such a newsgroup family.
I propose that such a newsgroup family be unmoderated and have worldwide
distribution with a tentative charter like that suggested below. The
intent of the new groups is to provide OS/2 developers and users
with OS/2 specific information without having to dig through the
existing MS-DOS and PC-DOS newsgroups where much of the information
is irrelevant to OS/2.

comp.sys.os2 - netnews forum dedicated to MS-OS/2 and IBM OS/2
	       (all versions). Available for sharing information
	       about these environments, new product information,
	       public domain software descriptions, questions and
	       answers, bug reports, development environments, etc.
	       Initially this group could cover Database Manager,
	       Communications Manager, LAN Manager & LAN Server,
	       Application Manager, Presentation Manager, SQL server
	       etc, until traffic volume makes this undesirable (if ever...).

comp.sources.os2  -  netnews forum for distributing source code of
		     OS/2 (protected mode) utilities and applications.
		     (public domain).

comp.binaries.os2 - netnews forum for distributing public domain or
		    shareware binaries for OS/2 protected mode.
		    (*watch this space*).

FOLLOW UP TO news.groups please.

-mor@datlog.co.uk. DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, not my employer.
--
-mike. DISCLAIMER: These opions are mine, I don't speak for Data Logic.

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (08/24/89)

In article <2194@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> mor@datlog.co.uk ( Mike O'Reilly ) writes:
>This is a CALL for DISCUSSION of "comp.sys.os2" and related newsgroups.

It should be "comp.os.os2".

>comp.sources.os2, comp.binaries.os2

I would suggest these can wait until it's seen how much traffic
there is.
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)

erbo@tangello.ucsb.edu (Eric J. Bowersox) (08/24/89)

In article <1191@tukki.jyu.fi> tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) writes:
:In article <2194@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> mor@datlog.co.uk ( Mike O'Reilly ) writes:
:>This is a CALL for DISCUSSION of "comp.sys.os2" and related newsgroups.
:
:It should be "comp.os.os2".

Another name possibility: "comp.sys.ibm.pc.os2".

Before anyone whips out the flamethrowers :-), listen to this justification:
OS/2 is still pretty much tied down to the IBM PC (or, at least, AT or better)
architecture, and may remain that way for quite some time.  (Or it may not.
We'll see about that.)  So, it would make sense to me to put the group on the
PC-specific hierarchy.  Of course, this will probably invite crossposting,
but a lot of stuff is going to get crossposted anyway, I think.

Precedent for this exists, namely, "comp.sys.mac.hypercard" and
"comp.sys.mac.programmer," subgroups of "comp.sys.mac" which talk about highly
specialized subsets of Macintosh issues.  "comp.sys.ibm.pc.os2" would follow
this trend.

Of course, I'm not _opposed_ to "comp.os.os2," I'm just presenting an alter-
native for those who may be interested.  So what do you think?  Like it?
Spike it?  Do I deserve a Boot to the Head?  Or what?

| Disclaimer: "Disclaimer?!  I don't even KNOW her!!" -- M. Coohill |
| * Eric J. Bowersox (ERBO) *  LIVE! from Isla Vista, California!   |
| erbo@cornu.ucsb.edu ...!{ucbvax,ucsd}!ucsbcsl!cornu!erbo          |
| Brain fried error reading drive C -- Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?  |

hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (08/25/89)

In article <2194@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> mor@datlog.co.uk ( Mike O'Reilly ) writes:
>This is a CALL for DISCUSSION of "comp.sys.os2" and related newsgroups.

Yes, I heartily agree to get all the OS2 traffic out of this

newsgroup.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

        uunet!megatek!hollen       or  hollen@megatek.uucp

kluge@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Oliver Kluge) (08/27/89)

In article <2194@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> mor@datlog.co.uk ( Mike O'Reilly ) writes:
>This is a CALL for DISCUSSION of "comp.sys.os2" and related newsgroups.
>Please send your thoughts to "news.groups". After september 4th I
>propose we have a vote on whether to create such a newsgroup family.
>I propose that such a newsgroup family be unmoderated and have worldwide
>distribution with a tentative charter like that suggested below. The
>intent of the new groups is to provide OS/2 developers and users
>with OS/2 specific information without having to dig through the
>existing MS-DOS and PC-DOS newsgroups where much of the information
>is irrelevant to OS/2.
>
>comp.sys.os2 - netnews forum dedicated to MS-OS/2 and IBM OS/2
>
>comp.sources.os2  -  netnews forum for distributing source code of
>
>comp.binaries.os2 - netnews forum for distributing public domain or
>
>-mike. DISCLAIMER: These opions are mine, I don't speak for Data Logic.

I strongly suggest to install these new groups. Plenty of things
wait to be written... :-)
And now just for the case I miss the VOTING when I am off into
holiday, i vote
			     Y E S
to installation of all sorts of OS/2 newsgroups, no matter if
moderated or un-moderated AS LONG AS DISTRIBUTION IS WORLD-WIDE.

Additionally, I would like to propose a fourth and a fifth news
group:

comp.sources.os2.d - The discussion group for comp.sources.os2

comp.binaries.os2.d - The discussion group for comp.binaries.os2

So long ... Oliver Kluge

--
                                         / relay.cs.net (CS-NET, ARPA)
kluge%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@ - unido.uucp   (UUCP)

mosley@peyote.cactus.org (Bob Mosley III) (08/27/89)

In article <1191@tukki.jyu.fi>, tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) writes:
> In article <2194@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> mor@datlog.co.uk ( Mike O'Reilly ) writes:
> >This is a CALL for DISCUSSION of "comp.sys.os2" and related newsgroups.
>
> It should be "comp.os.os2".

....I dunno, but somehow "comp.os.os2" just sounds a bit redundant. Would
"comp.os2" be acceptable? How is the os/9 group handled?

						OM

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (08/28/89)

In article <85@peyote.cactus.org> mosley@peyote.cactus.org (Bob Mosley III) writes:
>In article <1191@tukki.jyu.fi>, tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) writes:
>> In article <2194@dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> mor@datlog.co.uk ( Mike O'Reilly ) writes:
>> >This is a CALL for DISCUSSION of "comp.sys.os2" and related newsgroups.
>>
>> It should be "comp.os.os2".
>"comp.os2" be acceptable? How is the os/9 group handled?

It's comp.os.os9, just like it should be...

Really, how much traffic would there be in a comp.os.os2 group that
couldn't be handled in comp.sys.ibm.pc?  I don't really care one way or
another about whether the group gets created-- I just don't recall
seeing that much about OS/2 in comp.sys.ibm.pc at all.  Maybe the
Windows group's been getting more traffic...  has there really been
enough to warrant the new group?

-Antonio Romero             romero@confidence.princeton.edu

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (08/29/89)

mosley@peyote.cactus.org (Bob Mosley III) writes:

>....I dunno, but somehow "comp.os.os2" just sounds a bit redundant. Would
>"comp.os2" be acceptable? How is the os/9 group handled?

Nope, it isn't redundant. Look for os9 discussion in comp.os.os9.

Comp.os.* is where alle operating systems discussions go. Below comp.os are
the different operating systems.

Besides, I don't think os2 is important enough yet to be placed directly
below the top level group comp.

Martin

PS.: You're only imagining that I wrote this. I never did!
--
Martin Boening, c/o Nixdorf Computer AG, DS-CC2, Paderborn, West-Germany
Email:                                 |  Phone: (+49) 5251 146155