[news.groups] rec.swl --> rec.dx-radio ?

fk00133r@chyde.uwasa.fi (Jari Perkiomaki FKR) (09/22/89)

>>rec.swl, however, has no further
>>meaning to me other than it is something recreational.

>We could, perhaps, make it rec.radio.swl, or rec.radio.dx, but both ignore
>the scanner folks and the tv dxers.

       I feel rec.radio.dx would be a great name for this newsgroup, and
       it definitely does *not* exclude the scanner people nor tv dxers.
       The "term" DX is usually explained to mean "distance X", and, at
       least in Finland, covers all the listening activities, including
       tv dx-ing. (What is a TV set anyway? A radio receiver with a motion
       picture :-)

       As it has been pointed out, SWL actually means Short Wave Listening,
       thus being a part of DX-ing, but not covering the whole range of
       possible listening activities.

>rec.radio.swl might be a little clearer
>to the novice, but then we probably ought to rename rec.wobegon to
>rec.radio.wobegon (or better, rec.radio.npr.wobegon) and rec.ham-radio to
>rec.radio.amateurs. I, personally, don't feel like fighting those battles.

       Perhaps the term dx with radio may not be self-explanatory, but why
       should it be if there is no other concise way of expressing the thing.
       However, I think it is a term which is given a certain meaning and which
       is generally accepted by the hobbyists.

       I do not feel that rec.dx (although fine with me) would reveal anything
       to non-radio enthusiasts, either. So if we want to avoid arguing about
       the names of other related newsgroups, perhaps we should name this
       group to  rec.dx-radio (following the analogy of rec.ham-radio)??

defee@joutsen.tut.fi (Irek Defee) (09/22/89)

                                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>       possible listening activities.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, I had an idea of transferring some interesting material from
broadcasters to the net. This would require only sending from their
terminals to some net sites. For example, short nordic news broadcast
daily in English by Radio Sweden could be downloaded to soc.culture.nordic
newsgroup. Such news could be especially valuable in case of important
events (net is less erratic than SW, BTW :-). Since broadcasters
send their material in the air for free, it seems that there are no
legal obstacles to this idea. On contrary, they can be quite
cooperative in gaining a new audience. Is anybody interested in
pursuing this?

Irek Defee

Signal Processing Lab.
Tampere University of Technology,
SF-33101, Tampere, Finland.
EMAIL- defee@tut.fi

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (09/23/89)

fk00133r@chyde.uwasa.fi (Jari Perkiomaki FKR) wrote:
->       I do not feel that rec.dx (although fine with me) would reveal anything
->       to non-radio enthusiasts, either. So if we want to avoid arguing about
->       the names of other related newsgroups, perhaps we should name this
->       group to  rec.dx-radio (following the analogy of rec.ham-radio)??

i agree entirely.  the name which would be more optimal would be
rec.radio.dx (and then folding rec.ham-radio under rec.radio.amateur,
but there'll be whinging and moaning from those who live there now
about this i'm sure ... )

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>