[news.groups] Not Really about the Scathians Anymore was DISCUSSION: rec.org.sca

STella@xanadu.COM (STella) (10/10/89)

In article <240@inmet.uucp> justin@inmet.UUCP (Justin du Coeur MKA Mark Waks) writes:
>a location for trial newsgroups, I might agree with you, but you have to
>remember that most of the people in this discussion are trying to focus
>on getting a mainstream SCA newsgroup, *not* engage in a stupid flamewar
>with Matt Crawford about the purpose of alt.

Can't agree with you there, bucko.  I would have difficulty caring
less about alt.sca/sci.sca/whatever.sca.  And though I've disagreed
with Matt from time to time, there are reasons for disagreeing with me
(or YOU, sir) other than stupidity or a tendency to flame.

>Also, there hasn't been anything said here about the alt net that hasn't
>been said several times before.

So?  It has been previously noted that two apples and two apples
totals four apples.  Should I refrain from telling someone who raises
the question again?

>			 The idea of using alt as a "trial" space
>has come up half a dozen times in the past two years. Indeed, this isn't
>even the first time that it's been discussed with relation to alt.sca;
>we went through the same argument a year ago (right down to Crawford's
>flame about the SCA somehow using then abandoning the altnet); this is
>just a re-hashing. Does alt.config *really* want to be subjected to it
>again?

As long as a newsgroup wants to change from one hierarchy to another,
discussions of that change, it seems to me, belong in news.groups or
alt.config.

And if this means the scathians bring up their complaint every six
months, well, OK.  So we're stuck with it.

>I'm rather amazed at this whole argument. The *fact* is that there are
>a lot of sites that, for one reason or another, decline the alt net as
>a whole, regardless of the specific groups involved. The *fact* is that
>there are a lot of SCAdians at such sites, who want to get an SCA newsgroup.

Suppose my site chooses not to carry alt.sex.bondage; does that compel
you to create sci.sex.bondage to get me my daily grins?  I think not.
If I were at a site that doesn't carry groups I want, I am free to get
other accounts, or to lobby my sysadmin to change his decision.
Certainly, I can offer to pay the costs of importing
alt.sex.jello.lime to my site if that's my wish.  But it just doesn't
make sense to say "I can't get alt.sex.pudding.chocolate, so let's
rename it comp.sys.rennet.carob-substitute".

>Gene's list think for them. Should we penalize the SCAdians at sites
>run by such pinheads?

Who else _should_ we penalize?  If I let my site administrator do
something I disagree with, are you obligated to rescue me from the
result of my passivity?  If, unable to change the SA's mind, I don't
go to another source for my group, are you required to rearrange the
net for my convenience?

Yes?  Good, I'll have sci.sex.bestiality, comp.dead.grateful, and
biz.drugs, OK?  Please send out newgroups immediately.

(BTW, if you do not recognize any of these newsgroups, you may assume
they are the product of my warped sense of humor.)

Love is the law, love under will!

STella@xanadu.com	1016 E. El Camino Real, #302, Sunnyvale, CA 94087